The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 AM

Default Book recommendation

Can someone recommend a good book on fingerstyle chord/melody playing?

Background: I've been playing Piedmont fingerstyle for a zillion years. Most Piedmont playing is done near the nut with occasional forays up the neck within the CAGED system. But, lately I've been wanting to branch out into more interesting chord voicings. To that end, I got Rolly Brown's two "Nuts and Bolts" DVDs, one on chords and the other on melody. His chord system apparently descends from Denis Sandole and consists of 20 basic 4-tone chords divided into 5 string sets. From those basic chords, you make all the others buy moving tones up or down as needed. It's an entirely different approach to chords than I'm used to.

I've been diligently practicing all of the chords and scales and arpeggios and theory, as he recommends, and waiting for some kind of magic to happen. But there isn't an ounce of application in these DVDs. They're more encyclopedic. His approach is to say 'here are the tools, now go make music'. That's just not enough for me; I'm not that smart. In architectural terms I feel like I've got a lot of bricks and mortar, but I still don't know how to build a house.

Is there a book/CD/DVD that can take me thru this style in a way that has me actually applying the newfound knowledge to tunes as I go along?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 AM

•Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar Chord Soloing by Paul Musso
•Jazz Standards for Solo Guitar: 35 Chord Melody Arrangements in Standard Notation and Tablature by Robert B. Yelin
•Jazz Favorites for Solo Guitar: 35 Chord Melody Arrangements in Standard Notation and Tablature by Robert B. Yelin
•Jazz Classics for Solo Guitar: 35 Chord Melody Arrangements in Standard Notation and Tablature by Robert B. Yelin
•Jazz Gems for Solo Guitar: 35 Chord Melody Arrangements in Standard Notation and Tablature by Robert B. Yelin: 35 Chord Melody Arrangements in Standard Notation and Tablature by Robert B. Yelin
•Jazz Treasures for Solo Guitar: 35 Chord Melody Arrangements in Standard Notation and Tablature Robert B. Yelin
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 AM

I don't know your level level of proficiency and this method starts fairly basic, but not a begginers guitar method. Application of the tools it gives you is one of its strongpoints.
Fairly inexpensive, I purchased it during the Easter sale for less than £7. Hoping for a sale over the 4th of July.

http://truefire.com/acoustic-guitar-...3-fingerstyle/
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 AM

While looking at the trufire.com material, I tripped across a DVD course by Howard Morgan that looks promising entitled, "Fingerboard Breakthrough". Does anyone have any experience with this course?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
While looking at the trufire.com material, I tripped across a DVD course by Howard Morgan that looks promising entitled, "Fingerboard Breakthrough". Does anyone have any experience with this course?
Sorry, no experience with the Howard Morgan course, however the Truefire forum would and you should be able to view selected videos from the course on Truefire and YouTube.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write