The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-29-2013, 02:06 PM

Question Metronome Use

I am a 57 year old beginner and I have recently bought a Taylor GS Mini. After several months of unfocused practice on a mainly unplugged electric guitar the lovely sound of the acoustic has really boosted my interest. I have decided to try to learn fingerstyle and as I have trouble keeping regular timing when I practice I have just bought a Boss Digital Metronome. I would like advice on the slowest sensible BPM I should start on to allow me to change and finger chords cleanly while picking patterns. I know I'm never going to play on stage so I'm in no great hurry I just need to prove to myself that I am not totally incapable of learning to play. Though often frustrating I find holding my guitar and "practicing" very therapeutic.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards
Midge
Old 06-29-2013, 02:21 PM

The whole point of playing with a metronome is to stay in time with it - so set it as slow as you need to in order to do so with the particular exercise or piece.

When you get comfortable at that speed, try speeding it up - but if you can't keep up playing cleanly and in time then slow it back down.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:12 PM

If you're new to it, a little practice time may help. Start the nome, start your foot tapping with it, then run some quarter note scales on the beat. Next go for it with eighths up and down, maybe even do some cross picking patterns. Start slow. If you're flubbing, you're going to fast.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM

What i 've learned from my teachers : Start half speed of the actual speed of the song or exercise and slowly increase the speed. When you reach the actual speed of the song play it once in half speed and then perform it in actual speed. It works!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 AM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...1&postcount=10

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...1&postcount=20
Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Midge
Old 06-30-2013, 12:08 PM

This is my favourite metronome lesson - good tips, although it gets very advanced after around 5:00.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X1fhVLVF_4
Old 06-30-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
If you're new to it, a little practice time may help. Start the nome, start your foot tapping with it, then run some quarter note scales on the beat. Next go for it with eighths up and down, maybe even do some cross picking patterns. Start slow. If you're flubbing, you're going to fast.
I'm sorry Bingoccc but this answer though I appreciated your time is way above my level of knowledge, I have no idea what any of these types of thing sound like?

Midge
Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
good tips, although it gets very advanced after around 5:00.
I agree...
Old 06-30-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
This is my favourite metronome lesson - good tips, although it gets very advanced after around 5:00.
its all advanced for a beginner!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
its all advanced for a beginner!
The playing is, but the metronome use starts easy.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
The playing is, but the metronome use starts easy.
one metronome beat for a string pluck is the way to start

if that doesnt makes sense please correct it
English is not my native language
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloRouge View Post
I'm sorry Bingoccc but this answer though I appreciated your time is way above my level of knowledge, I have no idea what any of these types of thing sound like?

Midge
Sorry - I mentioned crosspicking after a quick read and forgot the fingerstyle part of your post.

I would start the metronome at a slow pace. Start your foot tapping with the beat of the metronome, your toe hitting the floor every time the metronome sounds. Then start plucking the heavy E string, the top string on the guitar, downward with your thumb, with every beat and toe tap. Do that for a while.

Next, start alternating between plucking that same E string with your thumb and pulling up on the G string (third up from the bottom) with your first finger tip. Sound a note with each beat of the metronome. Do that for awhile.

That will get you started. As time passes you need to learn to finger chords while doing this. You also will start to mix up various thumb patterns on the bass strings (top 3 strings) and finger patterns on the treble (bottom 3 strings).

Good Luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write