The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2018, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone using wireless mics?

I'm thinking of picking up a relatively inexpensive wireless mic system to have for speaking or the occasional karaoke thing. We have a gig coming up for a Celebration of Life where there will be a eulogy and then people getting up to share memories of the dearly departed. Rather than having them need to come up to our system to talk and be heard I thought about just picked up a decent wireless system from Amazon.

We don't need it for our vocals so vocal (singing) quality is not needed, just something good enough for people talking or to hand out for that rare occasion when we allow others to sing along. Anyone using any of these systems? Looks like some contenders on Amazon for a dual mic, 80 channel system with good reviews for under $135.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:53 AM

Default Anyone using wireless mics?

I found a Samson Concert 88 system on the discount table at Sam Ash about a year ago. The one mic was broken (wires hanging loose) so they swapped out another mic from another system on the same table and gave me an even bigger discount. Anyway, the thing is that I could see from the broken system that that system has screw out capsules.

I called up Samson on the off-chance that you could swap out the Q6 capsules with higher end Q7 or Q8 ones. To my surprise, I was told that yes, I could get a Q7 capsule and grill that I could swap out for twenty something dollars. I ordered two.

So what I ended up with was an inexpensive Samson Concert 88 system except that the mics are Q7s. The sound is as good as my Beta 58s except that there is more handling noise. Still very good sound though.

I can’t imagine a better sounding inexpensive 2 wireless mic set.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:08 PM

I got an AKG Perception handheld at GC on sale awhile back for $149. No issues. I use it to record lessons for my classes (I teach HS math). It works well for singing too.

Best thing is, 1 AA lasts a long time in it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification