The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 AM

Default Fake Martins from China

Anyone have experience with any of these? Some guy has one on CL and I was just curious as to the construction, tone, specs. It is a copy of a D45. I was going to post on the Martin forum but did not want to upset anyone over there.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 AM

Are you asking about counterfeit Martins or guitars which are made to have the Martin sound? If you are asking about counterfeits, call the police! As for copies, the two most common Chinese guitars which try to copy the Martin sound are Blueridge and Recording King. If you search for those brands, they have been discussed at length.

There are several examples of fine guitars which are made in China. Whether or not they have the "Martin" sound is up to the person who plays them.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:38 PM

I've seen them. They won't fool a real Martin guy but everyone else in the world is fair game. You can get a "D45" for around $XXX and a "D28" for about $XXX. I don't know how they sound, nor do I really care. One Chinese seller is also cranking out tons of Gibson copies that wouldn't pass close inspection but would definitely burn an uneducated buyer. Any day I expect a new poster to get on here and start telling about the smoking deal he got on a D45 that someone found under their dead uncle's bed.

We can't get word out fast enough about these things. They are a scourge.

I'm pretty sure this is no accident...

Last edited by rlouie; 09-30-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: no price discussion rule
Old 09-30-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman9 View Post
Anyone have experience with any of these? Some guy has one on CL and I was just curious as to the construction, tone, specs. It is a copy of a D45. I was going to post on the Martin forum but did not want to upset anyone over there.
You don't have to ask over there. Just use the search, and you will turn up numerous threads on the subject. These fakes are commonly showing up on ebay now, usually offered by pawn shops that should have known better. I've seen posts there showing fake D-18's, D-28's, and D-45's. The first ones were very poor fakes that would not fool too many, but they are getting better every day.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 PM

This disgusts me to no end. I hate to bring politics into this, but our politicians have never cared about this, or it would have gotten stopped dead in it's tracks.

This should be a case of, you get caught bringing in counterfeit goods, it's all over for you. None of your company's product is ever coming here again.

Instead, Martin probably has to chase every one of these down by themselves.

Such a shame.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion