The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-23-2016, 10:49 AM

Default Arm Rests

This is a duplicate of a post in the General Acoustic forum, but I thought perhaps classical players might have more experience with removable arm rests.

I have been wondering if using an arm rest improves tone. There are a couple of aftermarket arm rests that use suction cups or clamps. They get the arm and hand off the top of the guitar, at least theoretically removing any dampening due to hand or arm placement. I rest my palm on the bridge pins; sometimes I anchor with my pinky finger.

The two that I have considered are:
http://saddleabout.com/product/saddle-a-bout/
http://www.12fret.com/2014/03/26/rubys-guitar-armrest/

Anybody have any experience with removable arm rests and what have you found as far as tone?
Old 08-23-2016, 11:13 AM

I have the John Pearse armrest on my Cordoba guitar. I like it a lot. I've noticed an increase in volume and it's helped me with arm fatigue from the edge of the guitar.
They are easily removed from the guitar with no problems.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-23-2016, 11:46 AM

I use the Luva arm pad when I play. It fits over your forearm and has a hard, contoured pad on the underside that rests on the edge of the guitar so that the pressure from resting your hand there is spread out over a larger area. For me it takes the place of an arm rest.
Barb
Old 08-23-2016, 05:06 PM

An arm rest will without a doubt change the tone, if you typically rest your arm against the top. Only you can decide if that is an improvement. Long ago I decided that I like having the ability to vary tone by having my arm on or off the top. Kind of like a less effective palm mute. This is why I personally avoid arm rests.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 08-23-2016, 06:39 PM

Luthier Eric Reid made me a custom armrest for $150, it's magnetically attached like Kris Barnett armrests. Kris sells his armrests but I don't know the price.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:43 AM

contrary to what was posted... John Pearse arm rests are removable... There are numerous posting of instructions on YT and UMGF for the process.

I've removed them from several guitars prior to selling the guitar with no issues, no fading where the arm rest has been.

My personal suggestion is to use half the double sided tape when applying them. It still keeps the arm rest firmly in place and makes removal a bit easier

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 09-05-2016, 07:55 AM

I actually settled on a John Pearse ebony arm rest. I received it yesterday and so far am pretty pleased with it. It took a little while to get used to it, but I think it will be helpful. Thanks to all who offered their experience and opinions.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Cool Arm Rests....

I think i need an armrest not so much for sound, but my freaking forearm has an endless bruise, abrasion that will never go away...even when it heals, would this be an appropriate reason to have one?....beveled guitars seem nice, but i don't have one...
Old 08-28-2017, 01:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjon View Post
I think i need an armrest not so much for sound, but my freaking forearm has an endless bruise, abrasion that will never go away...even when it heals, would this be an appropriate reason to have one?....beveled guitars seem nice, but i don't have one...
If that was MY arm I'd sure get one, or a smaller guitar. How about messing around with your playing position? If you're seated maybe bring the headstock up a bit or out, so the guitar is tucked at a slightly different angle? I just mean check out how other people play your size guitar.

I really had to study proper position when I went up in size to just a deep bodied concert in order to keep my wrist angle as flat as possible.

Classical players also have a wearable arm cushion type sleeve thingy; I'm not a player so I don't know what they are called or where to get a good one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical