The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-20-2016, 04:29 PM

Default I killed the goose that laid the golden eggs...

Woe is me.

I have a 1952 Gretsch Hauser 6001 that I got a year or so ago. I pulled the strings when I got it, popped on whatever it was I had around. I played folk and country with it. Chords and some alternating bass, etc.

It. Sounded. Amazing. I got compliments on the astonishing tone, whenever I played it out. Loud and clear.

So last week I removed the old strings, as the wound strings were getting a little chewed up and tried son D'Addario Folk Nylon ball ends. (I don't know why I bought ball ends) I can tie a string on.

Blecch.

It's sounds terrible. It's been a week and they are still stretching and they sound dull and flat and dead and quiet. Big disappointment. Big.

Nowadays I toss the package in the case so I know what was on there last restring, but I didnt a year ago.

For some reason I think the old strings were Savarez, but lord knows what kind. If I remember right they were in a bag like the 520 series. But maybe they were on a Cordoba I sold. I checked my Amazon and Strings by Mail histories, nothing there. So I either got them at Sam Ash or Strings and Beyond. But they might have been in a guitar tool kit for years...

So what would you recommend? I play with my fingers and sometimes a plectrum. Folk and Country mostly. I do not finger pick, but usually pick a bass with my thumb and index and flick or strum the chords with my middle or ring. I'm kinda looking for a Willie Nelson kind of sound, I guess. I'm looking for a clear almost vocal sound on the unwound strings.

Or should I just keep theunning the D'Adddarios until they stop relaxing?

???

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 08-21-2016, 04:59 AM

According to Internet sources, Willie uses Dean Markley Ball End Nylons on his Martin N-20 and I suppose it's a combination of guitar, strings and Willie Nelson that gets that sound (not necessarily in that order). I have found through experimentation that I like Savarez strings, the high tension ones. I don't have a pack around at the moment and my classical guitar keeps it's strings longer that the others, so I can't tell you exactly what set I use. They have the blue pack and are, I think, part of the 500 series.
Sorry I can't be more precise but this may set you off in the right direction for your quest.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:20 AM

I use the Savarez Corum on my cedar top... though if it's an old guitar maybe normal tension would be safer than high tension. My spruce top prefers non-carbon strings though
Old 08-21-2016, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
They have the blue pack and are, I think, part of the 500 series.
They might be the Savarez Alliance Corium 500AJ which come in a blue package. They are the strings of choice for both my Goodall classical and my Alhambra 7P. Haven't found anything else that sounds as good.

Dave
Old 08-21-2016, 10:42 PM

Thanks, I'll try the Savarez High tensions next.

Right now, I removed those awful strings and put on some Aquila super Nylguts in the blue pack. I had a set around and I like Aquilas in my Ukes, so...

They sound much better and already hold tune better, even if they are kinda slippery and the B and E slipped thier knots and are being held in place by a couple homemade ball ends from my lates wife's jewelry making kit.

~Dave
Old 08-22-2016, 01:24 PM

Good suggestions so far. Another might be to contact the good folks over at Strings and Beyond. Tell them what you told us, and ask for a sample of 4-6 sets of different kinds of strings that would be likely to be a good match for your Gretsch Hauser. The right set of strings helps every guitar sound its best, and experimenting is fun! http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/clasguitstri.html

cotten
Old 08-22-2016, 02:04 PM

I don't have an answer about your strings, but I see the dog in your avatar, and your user name Scootch.

This is my dog, and his name is Scotch.

http://imgur.com/a/8TE6J

Last edited by The Kid!; 08-22-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:19 PM

Can you post a close-up pic of your saddle and bridge, from the side? This may be a case of the string's break angle changing, and thus changing the sound.

HOWEVER, if you went from 6-hole tie-on to ball-end, that should normally INCREASE the break angle, which is generally considered better (up to a point of diminishing returns, especially past 30 degree or so).

FWIW, I'm a string snob, and happy to experiment with almost any string out there, but I'd NEVER try D'Addario Folk ball-ends on my classical. This may be a rare case where the string is actually the issue...
Old 08-22-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I don't have an answer about your strings, but I see the dog in your avatar, and your user name Scootch.

This is my dog, and his name is Scotch.

http://imgur.com/a/8TE6J
Give Scotch a scratch for me. He looks like a good pup.

~Dave
Old 08-23-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
They might be the Savarez Alliance Corium 500AJ which come in a blue package. They are the strings of choice for both my Goodall classical and my Alhambra 7P. Haven't found anything else that sounds as good.

Dave
I just ordered a set of these based on your post. Will let you guys know the results. The reviews on JustStrings.com for these strings are mighty positive. My 1994 Dauphin needs a bit more life/brightness on the treble strings and I'm hoping these will help out.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I just ordered a set of these based on your post. Will let you guys know the results. The reviews on JustStrings.com for these strings are mighty positive. My 1994 Dauphin needs a bit more life/brightness on the treble strings and I'm hoping these will help out.
I tried them because they were recommended by James Goodall for his classical guitars. I figured that was as good a suggestion for my Goodall as I could get and he was right (smile).

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical