The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 PM

Smile Martin 000C Nylon

Just recently I got my hands on a Martin 000C Nylon. I was very impressed by how big a voice it had! Almost as loud as my D-35e, and it's so refreshing to get off the steel strings for awhile. I was less than impressed with the round wound strings however, as they created far too much squeek for my taste. I promptly ordered a set of classical flat wound strings. They are hard to find, but well worth the additional cost.

Last edited by scottishrogue; 02-27-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

I'm a singer/songwriter in what I would call the folk/country genre and I play nothing but nylon string!

I learned on nylon years and years ago and then played only steel string for a couple of decades and switched back to nylon a few year ago and absolutely love it! It fits my musical style very well and I love the way it blends with my voice both unplugged and plugged in.

After trying many different guitars, I've found my perfect guitar in a Taylor 514ce-n. I blend the stock ES-N pickup with a MiniFlex 2 Mic that I installed on a 2nd jack and I couldn't be happier. I mainly play with a flat pick, probably 80% of the time and the rest finger style with bare fingers.

Matt
Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 AM

That sounds really intriguing Matt! I'd love to hear what you're doing if you've got anything up on the web?

Cheers
Sal
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM

I happened to fall into a 1968 Martin 0028c that I was very unsure of. I got it as a trade because I am a lefty and converting it to lefty required no modifications.

Anyway, I was stunned. This guitar is remarkable. It's tone is immense and beautiful. It almost sounds like a different type of instrument than a steel string. I had never played a nylon string of any quality before so I was totally blown away.

The brazilian rosewood is beautiful, the guitar rumbles on the low end and the highs are clear and brilliant, but with a mellowness that is perfect for that early morning playing while lying in bed with my wife drinking coffee.

I almost thought I made a mistake getting this guitar before it arrived. Now, I could not imagine parting with it. I think the 60s brazilian Martins are a remarkable deal right now for anyone interested in trying to get a brazilian rosewood guitar.
1939 Gibson Kamalazoo Oriole
1968 Harmony Monteray
1999 Gibson Les Paul Classic
1910 Bruno Parlor
Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
That sounds really intriguing Matt! I'd love to hear what you're doing if you've got anything up on the web?

Cheers
Sal
Hi Sal,
Sorry for the delay. I don't have anything up of me playing live with the Taylor 514ce-n.

I am just finishing a new CD. I used the Taylor on all of the tracks. There is other instrumentation as well but it will give you an idea of general sound/genre, etc.

You can hear song samples here:

http://www.mattwahl.com/cds

And listen to the full songs on the little .mp3 player on the right of the webpage.

Matt
Old 02-22-2013, 07:48 PM

I have a Cordoba GK Studio that I am very pleased with. For $600'ish, you get a great sounding cutaway nylon with onboard electronics including tuner.

I've been meaning to do a video review, but haven't found the time yet. I did post a Fingerstyle Christmas tune with that guitar though, So if interested, you can find that here:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=qRwsjPJelwU

Hope that helps,
GC
Old 02-27-2013, 01:38 PM

I've been playing live with the nylon string for years. I love them. It's an acquired taste and feel. They used to be a real pain to deal with regards to electronics, but pickup technology for nylons has improved a lot. I can't wait for the new pickups Cordoba guitar will have in there guitar this year. THey say it's revolutionary.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamareguitars View Post
Hi!

The nylon guitar has long been heard mostly in the classical and latino music worlds. Recently however I have been very pleased to hear of singer-song writers such has Jose Gonzalez using classical guitars. It's a wonderful combination, especially when fingerpicking.

Who are some other artists you ve heard of using nylon string guitars outside the classical world?

Paul Weaver
LamareGuitars.com
My hero, paisan and all time favorite, JOSE FELICIANO.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 08-12-2016, 06:13 PM

What an idea!

Steel or nylon...They both work, but does one or the other work better? Steel strings begs one, nylon another.

Use what you have and if ever you have the chance to experiment, then by golly do. They all play the same notes, but one is a trumpet and one is a clarinet (or any other comparison you choose).

How do you get your hands around "timbre"? I think I read a good idea regarding this...Timbre is hard to describe. It is everything that pitch and tone are not.

That doesn't help a songwriter, but does describe the difficulty we all face in trying to commune with the Muse.

If it is any help, as I understand it, Eric Clapton wrote TEARS IN HEAVEN on a Alvarez Yari Classical...I could be wrong on this though...

In my meager mind that is one of the THE best songs ever. Of course he had good material...Ouch.

Good material is hard to come by -- or not-- it is right there waiting to be released. All we have to do is connect.

O.K. gotta go...connect.

Best to all
Old 08-12-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamareguitars View Post

Who are some other artists you ve heard of using nylon string guitars outside the classical world?

Paul Weaver
LamareGuitars.com
Leonard Cohen

Willie Nelson

The Beatles from time to time

Kenny Rankin

Roger Miller

Gordon Bok

Peter White (accompanies Al Stewart, also has his own 'smooth jazz' career, wrote/produced Basia's records)

Chet Atkins

Jose Feliciano

Peter, Paul & Mary

Jerry Reed

John Mclaughlin

Al DiMeola

Earl Klugh

Miche Fambro

all the great bossa nova guitarists

Pat Metheny

Eugenio Bennato (amazing italian folk musician)

Charlie Byrd

Sting

Andy Summers

Aztec Camera

as of a month ago, Catherine Irwin, co-leader of the americana icons 'Freakwater'--she fell in love with an old silvertone parlor guitar i converted into a nylon-string acoustic-electric and bought it!

Ralph Towner

Lauryn Hill

Bruno Mars

many, many more....
Old 11-15-2016, 12:56 PM

This guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9aOq9aJ3w
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 11-27-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Jason Mraz is by far the most popular (at least in the US). Well, if you don't count Willie Nelson of course.
Well Zac brown also plays one so you could argue the most popular...
Old 11-30-2016, 01:23 PM

Lindsey Buckingham's solo version of Big Love is played on a nylon string guitar. Learning this song advanced my finger picking skills immensely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZp76M4NGc

Later
Rob
Old 12-12-2016, 01:34 PM

It's really not that rare... Playing acoustic has been the tradition mainly because they sound louder and fit better during live performances, and strumming. For studio work, a good classical can do wonders to any song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical