The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-27-2016, 05:04 AM

Location: Plymouth, Ma in the summer and St. Petersburg, Fl in the winter (paid snowbird)
Default vibrato with carbon strings

Hi All

Is generating vibrato with carbon trebles more difficult to accomplish than with normal treble strings?

Second question does the technique change when producing vibrato with multiple strings at the same time ?

Finial question can you produce vibrato with a single string when playing multiple strings and what is the technique to do so?

thanks in advance

John G
Old 07-27-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johneg View Post
Hi All

Is generating vibrato with carbon trebles more difficult to accomplish than with normal treble strings?

Second question does the technique change when producing vibrato with multiple strings at the same time ?

Finial question can you produce vibrato with a single string when playing multiple strings and what is the technique to do so?

thanks in advance

John G
Carbon trebles are thinner than nylon so they are a little less easy to 'grab' when doing vibrato along the length of the string.

I find it easier to do vibrato along the length of the string for multiple strings simultaneously.

You will probably want do vibrato perpendicular to the length of string on a single string while playing multiple strings with vibrato only on one string. In any case, this is going to be a bit tricky to execute.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:43 AM

Location: Plymouth, Ma in the summer and St. Petersburg, Fl in the winter (paid snowbird)

thank you for the response.

I like the sound of the carbon trebles on my CG but I was having difficulty bring out the intensity of the vibrato with these strings or wasn't sure if it was just my technique or ability.

Still confused on playing vibrato on a single tone when playing multiple strings using CG techniques for vibrato, should I use more a conventional steel string technique when doing this?

thanks again
Old 07-27-2016, 06:59 AM

Tension plays a role, too. Higher tension = harder to execute along the length of the string vibrato.

Check out Virginia Luque on YT, amazing perpendicular to the string length vibrato.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johneg View Post
thank you for the response.

I like the sound of the carbon trebles on my CG but I was having difficulty bring out the intensity of the vibrato with these strings or wasn't sure if it was just my technique or ability.

Still confused on playing vibrato on a single tone when playing multiple strings using CG techniques for vibrato, should I use more a conventional steel string technique when doing this?

thanks again
Use whatever works. Having been classically trained while a CG performance major in college... I rarely use CG vibrato. It's more subtle, but I'm not very subtle. So I prefer the wider, perpendicular vibrato as played on steel string guitars. In fact, two gigs ago I had a young lady standing right in front of me just staring. Between songs she told me how much she loved my vibrato. That was a new one for me! It works for me, so I'll stick with it.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:28 AM

I can achieve that single string vibrato while sounding several others but it is usually done with a up and down motion (rock guitar style) by wiggling my "pinkie". I think it can be done with the other fingers as well but it has to be a wiggle rather than a full "rock" style up and down.
Some of the vibrato comes from the up and down wiggle, and some from squeezing the string between the frets but it does work.
2005 Alvarez AC60SC
2005 Alvarez MC90C
Steel
2002 Martin OMC18VLJ signature
2003 Mauel McCloud Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical