The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-27-2017, 03:01 PM
Guest 928

Such threads have generally been well and often answered. However, some such threads might interest new forum members and re-open interesting topics. If nothing else, they are unexpected bits of history.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
...Also, the BlackIce was THE most uncomfortable guitar I've ever played. The sharp edges dug into my chest and leg when playing seated.
Absolutely agree. I've played many Rainsongs (mostly at the old Podium in Minneapolis), and while I've found them all to play well, and sound very good - they have all been so uncomfortable to hold that I couldn't imagine playing a whole set with one, let alone buying one. But then, I've been spoiled by the body friendly contours of the CA GX and the Emerald X7.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Other Forums I am on give you a giant warning if you bump a thread that is more that 6 months old. We seem to get necro-threads around here all the time though.
It goes to show...we always come back to the classics. Funny how in the day we never said, "Oh myD 35 is breaking my back." How times have changed and our expectations change. Hence, the return of classic questions. What makes this a great forum. I'm awaiting someone to reinvigorate the chimera questions.

Last edited by GuitarDoc; 05-28-2017 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Adding more thoughts
Old 05-28-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Such threads have generally been well and often answered. However, some such threads might interest new forum members and re-open interesting topics. If nothing else, they are unexpected bits of history.
Agree, but funny how the old questions continue to be relevant, and how the answers can change. I recently asked a question on 12-strings (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=469207) same as this ancient thread. But with Rainsong 12-string out of production, the answers were different and highly relevant! And super helpful.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:07 AM

Smile

My fault.

Of course, it's very easy to lose track of a thread here when so many people post every day. Something I answered yesterday could be three or four pages back today - this is a popular website.
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 05-30-2017, 08:12 AM

Wow, talk about a zombie thread, the two six string models currently being made weren't even around in 2006, neither were the hugely popular Rainsong unidirectional top models.

As to Rainsongs being uncomfortable, that's just ridiculous, they are no more, or less comfortable to play than similar size Taylors, Martins and Gibsons. I've sold thousands of carbon fiver guitars to thousands of players over the years, and the main selling point of Rainsong guitars, especially to folks just getting their feet wet with CF, is the traditional feel.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:26 AM
Guest 928

My introduction to CF instruments began with the Cargo, which opened the door to non-traditional guitar forms. The Blackbird Rider and
Super OM opened that door even wider. The CA, Blackbird, and Emerald guitars have moved me beyond the traditional guitar form. My RS Parlor is reasonably comfortable, but not as ergonomic and not as comfortable as some of the other CF offerings.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:48 AM

Ted brings up a good point, as does Evan. In the uber-traditional acoustic guitar world, it takes a leap of faith to even consider carbon fiber over wood. A traditional form-factor helps to ease the transition for many. But when you actually try some of the others like the CA and the Emerald you see how ergonomic a guitar body can really be. Wood simply cannot do some of those curves and bevels without extreme custom build effort.

I was initially put off by the shape of the Blackbird Super OM in photos, but upon meeting it in person it wasn't bad at all. And it sounded pretty doggone good too. Still I went traditional because I was specifically looking for a smaller 00 body size and a shorter scale, and ended up with a Lucky 13.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

With regard to the RainSong guitars being uncomfortable, I do have to shake my head with disbelief at that comment. I am a new CF customer and have one of their CH-OM models (OM sized, 24-7/8" scale, 12-frets to the body, 1-3/4" nut width) and it is a very comfortable guitar to play...
Old 05-30-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
With regard to the RainSong guitars being uncomfortable, I do have to shake my head with disbelief at that comment. I am a new CF customer and have one of their CH-OM models (OM sized, 24-7/8" scale, 12-frets to the body, 1-3/4" nut width) and it is a very comfortable guitar to play...
Agreed 100%. The Rainsong OM and WS are as close to the Taylor GC and GA models as you can get, and no one ever complained to me that either of these models are uncomfortable to play.

And while being able to mold a guitar in any shape you want is cool, things like contoured backs that allow too much contact with the body, or an arm bevel that allows too much arm contact with the soundboard can have some very negative tonal consequences, so just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should. Blackbird Guitars are all about tone, always have been, and it appears that as they evolve, they are building more traditional looking guitars than ever. Could it be that more traditional acoustics actually sound more traditional?
Old 05-30-2017, 02:00 PM

What I liked about the JM-1000 is that it is just like a Gibson J-200 only in Carbon. That's cool to me and no cutaway! It's more comfy than a Gibson cause it's much lighter.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-30-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
This thread is indeed only three months shy of being 11 years old, and some of the original responders have not been on-line in years.
Even if it was/is a zombie thread, I felt it necessary to correct what I felt was a very inaccurate portrayal of a great guitar company. What was said by the person I responded to in my original response can merely be written off as someone offering an opinion, but the market is already so unique- and that's why I spoke up. Let me explain:

Back in 2013 when I became curious about the Shorty, a comment like that might have made me much more likely to not find a local dealer- nobody wants an uncomfortable guitar. Instead I ended up not only going way out of my way to test drive one, I bought one and still proudly own it. It is sooo comfy for reasons RainSong lovers already know, oh yeah....did I mention it only weighs 4 lbs? Do I want to try an Emerald? Sure, but it wouldn't be in effort to replace my RainSong, no way! As I said before....YMMV
Old 05-30-2017, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Even if it was/is a zombie thread, I felt it necessary to correct what I felt was a very inaccurate portrayal of a great guitar company. What was said by the person I responded to in my original response can merely be written off as someone offering an opinion, but the market is already so unique- and that's why I spoke up. Let me explain:

Back in 2013 when I became curious about the Shorty, a comment like that might have made me much more likely to not find a local dealer- nobody wants an uncomfortable guitar. Instead I ended up not only going way out of my way to test drive one, I bought one and still proudly own it. It is sooo comfy for reasons RainSong lovers already know, oh yeah....did I mention it only weighs 4 lbs? Do I want to try an Emerald? Sure, but it wouldn't be in effort to replace my RainSong, no way! As I said before....YMMV
My RainSong CH-OM1100NS only weighs 3.58 lb. (1.62 Kg)... It has no electronics.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:18 PM
Guest 928

The original RS guitars, while build on traditional lines, did not sound like traditional guitars. And some of the non-traditional builds sound as good or better than the traditional brands. We are in a period of great flux, and we have a marvelous array of choices.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I really don't want to see this become any guitar vs any other guitar thread. I own a RainSong Shorty and two Emeralds (X7 and X20). I had the Shorty first (my first carbon fiber) - it appealed to be because of the similarity in shape and size to a Taylor Grand Concert. I certainly don't find it uncomfortable.

Larger, traditional shaped guitars? Yeah, I do find some of them uncomfortable. I don't own anything larger than a Taylor 814 for that reason.

That said, I had no idea how comfortable a guitar could be until I got the Emerald X7. That wasn't the reason I bought it - I wanted small(er), and I wanted to try an off-set sound-hole. I was very impressed with the workmanship and the sound, but blown away by how this guitar FITS me, whether standing (with a strap) or sitting. It is the most comfortable guitar I have ever held/played. It made me realize that, while traditional guitars aren't necessarily uncomfortable, there are improvements available.

It was the X7 that convinced me to get an X20, which measures out closer to a GA rather than a GC size, but is more comfortable than either. I would not want to go bigger. I don't need to go bigger. And, I don't see where I would be adding any "traditional" guitars after feeling and hearing what Emerald's forward thinking brings to the playing experience.

Are other guitars bad because they aren't as comfortable? Of course not. Does comfort matter? Well, yeah, but it also has to sound and play great, too. These Emeralds do.

A free opinion (not even charging the market standard 2˘). Size and comfort are an individual thing. Auto makers go to great lengths to keep buyers comfortable. Airlines have mostly taken passenger comfort out of their experience, and see where that has gotten them. Play an exceptionally comfortable guitar and see what it does for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber