The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 11:58 PM

You want to overdose on guitars? Come to Chicago. In the city itself are a few good stores, Chicago Music Exchange being the #1 destination store. North of the city there are so many good guitar stores. Guitar works in Evanston has a really good collection of acoustics in a small mom and pop shop. There is another shop in Evanston, but I can't remember the name. Moving a bit north there is Make'n Music in Northfield. They specialize in electrics and not so much acoustics, but they have a great collection. A bit further north is Highland Park which has a pretty good GC, the Music Gallery- a great boutique shop,complete with a Plek machine and the Dean Zelinsky outlet is 5 minutes from there.

I've only just hit the highlights of the stores that are here. And you know there are so many other things to see and do here.

Come on down!
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 05-30-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

On the California Central Coast, there's "Lightning Joe's Guitar Heaven", in the village of Arroyo Grande. Joe has an inventory of well over a thousand guitars, from under a hundred bucks, into the 30 grand stratosphere, scattered out over three floors in a funky old office building. It's an adventure just visiting the place....

Don
Old 05-29-2017, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Michigan.
Yup. Been there done that and I'll do it again.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-29-2017, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, CO

Dusty Strings in Seattle

Cowtown Guitars in Las Vegas
Old 05-29-2017, 04:57 AM

The last I knew, Capital guitars in the Albany NY area is a web based store.

"Ours is a small web-based company. Without a storefront to maintain or staff, our overhead costs are relatively modest. This allows us to sell at price levels often better than most anywhere else for a comparable instrument in similar condition."

Have things changed at Capital Guitars ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
A train/bus up to Albany will give you access to Capital Guitars (AGF Sponsor). .
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-29-2017, 07:36 AM

Chuck Levin's in the Washington DC area is about as good as it gets.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
You want to overdose on guitars? Come to Chicago. In the city itself are a few good stores, Chicago Music Exchange being the #1 destination store. North of the city there are so many good guitar stores. Guitar works in Evanston has a really good collection of acoustics in a small mom and pop shop. There is another shop in Evanston, but I can't remember the name. Moving a bit north there is Make'n Music in Northfield. They specialize in electrics and not so much acoustics, but they have a great collection. A bit further north is Highland Park which has a pretty good GC, the Music Gallery- a great boutique shop,complete with a peek machine and the Dean Zelinsky outlet.

I've only just hit the highlights of the stores that are here. And you know there are so many other things to see and do here.

Come on down!
+1 for https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com

Also agree with Music Gallery for smaller boutique shop.

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2017, 08:00 AM

Yep agree also!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Yup. Been there done that and I'll do it again.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:19 AM

Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville, MD, west of Baltimore, has some nice things.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
You want to overdose on guitars? Come to Chicago. In the city itself are a few good stores, Chicago Music Exchange being the #1 destination store. North of the city there are so many good guitar stores. Guitar works in Evanston has a really good collection of acoustics in a small mom and pop shop. There is another shop in Evanston, but I can't remember the name. Moving a bit north there is Make'n Music in Northfield. They specialize in electrics and not so much acoustics, but they have a great collection. A bit further north is Highland Park which has a pretty good GC, the Music Gallery- a great boutique shop,complete with a peek machine and the Dean Zelinsky outlet.

Come on down!
I would add Down Home Guitars in Frankfort Ill (out of the way but a great selection of high end guitars). and Tobias Music in Downers Grove.

Martin D28 (1988)
Guild JF30
Voyage Air MD-02
Collings D1
Bourgeois vintage OM
Old 05-29-2017, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I think it might be more easy to assist if you told us which country, and region you were in. Not much point recommending a shop in the USA if you are in Iceland, or in Japan if you are in Russia etc.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckgoodbar View Post
You got to go to Nashville! Gruhn, Cotton and Artisan Guitars just to name a few. You'll have so much fun you won't know which way to jump.
Heading the the CMA Music Fest in a couple weeks in Nashville. The city will be mobbed....wonder if those shops, especially Gruhn, will even be open!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:07 AM
Guest4562

Pickers Supply in Fredericksburg, VA is worth a trip from anywhere.

I haven't been to Alpha Music in Norfolk in years, but I recall them being very welcoming and accommodating.

When I played a gig in Nashville in the 90s, I stopped into Gruhn's just because I was there. I didn't get the feeling, at that time, that I could just sit down and play something. It felt like Manny's in the 70s - if you were Somebody the red carpet was out. If you were Just Some Guy (me) you were ignored. At best. I looked around and bought a t-shirt.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
When I played a gig in Nashville in the 90s, I stopped into Gruhn's just because I was there. I didn't get the feeling, at that time, that I could just sit down and play something. It felt like Manny's in the 70s - if you were Somebody the red carpet was out. If you were Just Some Guy (me) you were ignored. At best. I looked around and bought a t-shirt.
Like anything else, the tone at any of these establishments is set by the personal style of the boss. At Gryphon Stringed Instruments it's a warm and welcoming place because the owners Frank Ford and Richard Johnston are great guys. Same thing with Mass Street Music and its owner Jim Baggett. Same thing with the Music Works in Evanston, Illinois and its owner Terry Straker, or the Music Villa in Bozeman, Montana, with its owner Paul Decker.

All of the gentlemen I've just named are extremely knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

In direct contrast to that style of proprietorship is that of George Gruhn, owner of Gruhn Guitars. Hugely knowledgeable, but not exactly Mr. Warmth. His dour personality definitely influences the entire operation, though there are employees working there who are much more personable.

Others have told me that once Gruhn gets to know you, he opens up a bit. But he has to either know you or know who you are before he will.

I'm sure buying guitars from him on a regular basis would accelerate the process...

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-29-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
On the California Central Coast, there's "Lightning Joe's Guitar Heaven", in the village of Arroyo Grande. Joe has an inventory of well over a thousand guitars, from under a hundred bucks, into the 30 grand stratosphere, scattered out over three floors in a funky old office building. It's an adventure just visiting the place....

Don
Huh. I graduated from Cal Poly and never knew about that place.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar shops, travel