The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-25-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Um, OK, so in other words - just another branch of corporate pop music aimed at people who believe in religion. OK, I had my suspicions but now they are confirmed.

Well, if it floats your boat and makes people rich, I guess that's OK...
That's not what Shadowfax posted and that's not what worship music is about.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
3. Favorite guitar ever? Tough question. But I've been leading worship almost exclusively with my trusty Renaissance RS6 for 15 years.
Lovely demo! Does it have an "acoustic" finish, or a thicker "electric" finish?
Old 05-26-2017, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Second request... please leave alone the religious and spiritual aspects of the job. This forum is not the place for that discussion. Thank you...
Old 05-26-2017, 08:01 AM
*mahoganut*

Default Social Group created

I've set up a "social group" if you all wish to continue this discussion off the main forum. At this point I'm moderating it (controlling who joins).

I've described it as "A group for worship leaders of all types of church bodies to discuss common challenges, songs, ensembles, equipment and setup, etc."

It will not be a place to argue about pretty much anything. It will be a place to ask worship leader / member questions and seek ideas and experiences to be a more effective worship leader / member.

If you wish to join I believe you can request it by using the "Community" drop down above (main option line on the Forum page), finding "AGF Worship Leaders Discussion Group", and requesting to be added.

If that fails (I honestly can't remember how they work, having only set up one other group) just PM me and we'll get it done.

Of course, as long as this thread continues to be active and no one submarines it, no need for the off-main-forum social group.

Best,

Phil
Old 05-26-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
Wanted to start a forum on how many of us are worship leaders. Not so much if you participate in a worship team (or praise band some call it). I am from upstate NY and most of the time worship leaders tend to have gigantic Ego's up here. It is probably the single most frustrating and discouraging thing for any worship leader who is trying to do networking to see/experience. So I figured why not expand out of NYS I am sure there are a ton of us who are humble and gracious out there! Just be cool remember this isnt a achievement measuring contest but merely a chance to get to know one another as guitar enthusiasts as well as worship leaders.

If you are a worship leader answer some of the questions ill post. Anyone can add or ask more
1. Where are you from? (Northern VA)
2. How many years have you been leading? (12 years)
3. Favorite Guitar (Taylor 614CE)
4. Favorite Worship Song (It is Well With My Soul)
Old 05-26-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
I've set up a "social group" if you all wish to continue this discussion off the main forum. At this point I'm moderating it (controlling who joins).

I've described it as "A group for worship leaders of all types of church bodies to discuss common challenges, songs, ensembles, equipment and setup, etc."...
Phil, am I correct in assuming that discussion of religion and politics will remain off limits, and that this social group will just be an easy place for worship leaders to talk about other things with other worship leaders? (I've not been in an AGF social group before, and don't quite know what to make of it.)

cotten
Old 05-27-2017, 06:33 AM
*mahoganut*

John, I'm not sure of the AGF rules for social groups, but because it's a "moderated" group, and not public, my intention was to make it available where it wouldn't be derailed by questions that crossed AGF lines for public threads. *moderated only means membership is controlled. Social groups can be public, moderated, or by invite only.

I hadn't thought it through any deeper than that, but would not intend for it to be a place to discuss religion per se. Comments about church buildings, worship music or practices, and anything related to religious thoughts can result in a not-nice discussion environment on the public forum.

Anyone who really wants to dig in deep to religious topics for worship leaders can find forums specifically for that.

Phil

Last edited by riorider; 05-27-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

If it's a "moderated" group, the rules in the FAQs state…

"...open to everyone to join but messages need to be moderated before they will appear. They are moderated by the group creator and the site moderators and administrators."
Old 05-27-2017, 07:19 AM

Um, Phil, weren't you and Mark AGF mods until very recently...?

I fail to see the problem here...
Old 05-27-2017, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Um, Phil, weren't you and Mark AGF mods until very recently...?

I fail to see the problem here...
I agree, I'm totally secular and have enjoyed this thread. Seems like the possible derail was artfully handled and deflected .

Since I have obviously never been a "worship leader" I have no history to relate.
So very generically speaking (but applicable) my main performance guitar is a Taylor 810 ce because it can be mic'ed (preferred for quiet venues ) or plugged in if sitting in with band or a noisy venue

My favorite "worship type" songs ( which I almost always play ay my gigs ) are "Amazing Grace" .... "People Get Ready " and "Swing Low Sweet Chariot"

While in Nashville doing some recording a few years back, a good buddy of mine who is a publisher, took me to a predominately black church, where they performed the most outstanding rendition of "People Get Ready" I have ever heard...ever

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-27-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I agree, I'm totally secular and have enjoyed this thread. Seems like the possible derail was artfully handled and deflected .
I'm a non-believer and agree with this ^^^^^ There's absolutely nothing out of bounds in this thread to my way of thinking. It's interesting to see what other members are doing and I can't see why this can't continue. When I get bored, I can tune out. But I'm not a mod...just an opinion.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

This thread can definitely continue. The mods have no objection to that. The only sentiments that violated AGF rules have been removed. There is no problem forming a social group, but there is also no problem continuing the discussion here as is.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:06 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
This thread can definitely continue. The mods have no objection to that. The only sentiments that violated AGF rules have been removed. There is no problem forming a social group, but there is also no problem continuing the discussion here as is.
Thanks Kerbie!!

Phil
Old 05-27-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
Wanted to start a forum on how many of us are worship leaders. Not so much if you participate in a worship team (or praise band some call it). I am from upstate NY and most of the time worship leaders tend to have gigantic Ego's up here. It is probably the single most frustrating and discouraging thing for any worship leader who is trying to do networking to see/experience. So I figured why not expand out of NYS I am sure there are a ton of us who are humble and gracious out there! Just be cool remember this isnt a achievement measuring contest but merely a chance to get to know one another as guitar enthusiasts as well as worship leaders.

If you are a worship leader answer some of the questions ill post. Anyone can add or ask more

1. Where are you from? (New York)
2. How many years have you been leading? (11 years)
3. Favorite Guitar (Breedlove Legacy)
4. Favorite Worship Song (Home-Bethel)
I'm curious about your mention of the worship leader ego. I've met many players, generically speaking, I would size up that way but I've encountered that in every corner of life in my 62 years. How does it confound the networking of leading a worship group? I think your answer has as much objectiveness as the other 4 questions you pose with regard to the job itself and the sensitivities of it. Just a thought.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
Actuallly, I live just north of Forest, MS but serve in Pelahatchie. Guess I should have been more specific. Small world!
Ha, really is a small world! I married a native Pelahatchian.

I'm not a worship leader (can't sing to save my life) but played in the Praise band throughout middle school and high school so I found this thread interesting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic