The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-15-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I've decided I also like being called Sir cotten, and shall henceforth refer to myself this way, in the third person as often as possible. At least for the next ten minutes or so, when my wife gets home.

Sir cotten
A wise decision, Sir Cotten!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:40 PM

I live in the country and have a commute. Here are some things I keep in mind every day.

1. I drive 5 mph over. If someone tailgates me, I move over and let him/her pass. If someone is driving too slowly, then he/she may be sick or inebriated. Tailgating will not make him/her go any faster.

2. If I get behind an elderly person driving slowly, I stay back...because God willing, that will be me someday. I pray I'll live long enough to do so.

3. If I get behind farm equipment, I back off as well. If they could drive faster, they probably would. They are doing the best they can. Chances are they will put in a longer day than I will.

4. If someone starts harassing me on the road, I drive like normal and try to take a different route to where I'm going. If they follow me home, it's going to get ugly...fast.

The main thing is, just stay out of the way no matter how mad someone else make you (easier said than done, I know). You never know what people are going through.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:42 PM

Its really hard to keep your cool out there these days. People stop at the top of on ramps to highways and text, backing up everyone behind them. Drivers get impatient at intersections, pass people on the RIGHT to make a LEFT!!!. Its just nuts. Seems everyone has lost their minds. I feel sorry for anyone that has to drive FOR a living, ( truck driver, bus driver, cops), its just insane.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Here where I live, we no longer have many carriages. They began disappearing about the time electricity came to town. (Neither of those shots came from my area, they were freebies off the 'net that seemed to illustrate what I meant.)

I love the fact that the AGF is multi-national! Though we all use what we call English, we use it differently, and I enjoy learning some of these differences. It's a fascinating language, one in which a house can burn up and down simultaneously! We even have words with opposite meanings, such as recover. In one sense, recover means to hide away, as in the wear and tear on an old chair to make it look new again. But recover can also mean to bring out of hiding, as when an Ovation is found safe and sound among the debris after being washed away in a flood.

I've decided I also like being called Sir cotten, and shall henceforth refer to myself this way, in the third person as often as possible. At least for the next ten minutes or so, when my wife gets home.

Sir cotten
Please advise us as to how, when and why you were ennobled.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Please advise us as to how, when and why you were ennobled.
In Post #24 middle of the page, sort of a Cross the Pond Knighting

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-15-2017, 01:32 PM

Can I get beknighted, (is that the proper term?), too?
Henceforth I would like to be known as Sir Stephen the Handsome.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM

I think it is just "knighted."
Can someone knight me if I keep cool on the road for one month?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
Can I get beknighted, (is that the proper term?), too?
Henceforth I would like to be known as Sir Stephen the Handsome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudals1281 View Post
I think it is just "knighted."
Can someone knight me if I keep cool on the road for one month?
No prob

OK you are Sir Rud

oopss sorry Stephen there was a mix up in the memo you have been Kinghted Sir Archity

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-15-2017, 01:59 PM

Sir Rud...that sounds good.
Thank you, my lord.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Low blood sugar levels. Happened to me a lot after I would run 10 milers. Candy bar after a run helped.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-15-2017, 09:56 PM

RIP former AGF member. Though I never met him I felt like we were friends. He contributed a lot to this forum and I feel bad about the time I berated him for being a LeBron James fan. I hope they lock the other scumbag up and throw away the key after they shave his belly with a rusty razor!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:20 AM

This member was a hardcore DC sports fan and the more sad part is that he never saw a single championship from the Redskins, Capitals, and on and on (was too young when Redskins won their final SB). He despises Lebron....I mean he despised him.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I live in the country and have a commute. Here are some things I keep in mind every day.

1. I drive 5 mph over. If someone tailgates me, I move over and let him/her pass. If someone is driving too slowly, then he/she may be sick or inebriated. Tailgating will not make him/her go any faster.

2. If I get behind an elderly person driving slowly, I stay back...because God willing, that will be me someday. I pray I'll live long enough to do so.

3. If I get behind farm equipment, I back off as well. If they could drive faster, they probably would. They are doing the best they can. Chances are they will put in a longer day than I will.

4. If someone starts harassing me on the road, I drive like normal and try to take a different route to where I'm going. If they follow me home, it's going to get ugly...fast.

The main thing is, just stay out of the way no matter how mad someone else make you (easier said than done, I know). You never know what people are going through.
That was not my method when young but it has been for many years. Now that I have 3 teenagers I feel it's the right way more than ever.

Part of my changing behavior was not wanting to be like a parent who was abusive and didn't control his temper.

It probably helps to work at physical and mental accomplishments that make you feel good. In the past two decades I've joined some other groups and associates who are into outdoor sports and are fairly accomplished in their lives or careers. Active people in decent routines if nothing else. It seems almost universal how they do any showing off or risk taking in ways that are much healthier than bad driving or poor behavior in public.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:46 AM

guess what? family in the car with you is #1. you and your being upset is way down the list.
good for you!!

i see so many people doing stupid things on the road with family in the car. they think only they matter and not the family members.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-16-2017, 06:17 PM

In my area we only have dual carriageways (one lane in each direction) The nearest multi is about 50Km away so I rarely see it. Slow moving traffic is the norm, and I don't mean farmers. Generally you can overtake with relative safety, the roads are not hugely busy. Typically whenever there is an "Overtaking lane ahead" sign that is an indication that the slow driver ahead of you is about to accelerate. I use cruise control so I don't generally hold up the traffic behind me but I am constantly creeping up on cars that, although they are sitting on the limit, their speed varies if they are not on cruise, too. If I overtake, I speed up for a time to gain some clearance from the car I have just overtaken. I often travel that road with a load on, so am constantly below the speed limit. Every time a car comes up behind me I pull off the road as far as is safe to allow them opportunity to pass.

Yes, I hate idiots on the road doing stupid things, but I try not to become one of them!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic