The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I'm still stuck on this phrase. Where you live they have two lane roads, with both a slow lane and a fast one? Is the "fast lane" normally reserved for oncoming traffic?

I lived for a long time in Metro Atlanta, where the traffic, even today after they reopened the stretch of I-85 that had burned to the ground, is generally horrendous. People going slower than I am are idiots, and those going faster are maniacs, and I am the only one of thousands who is paying attention to their driving. One thing I learned in driving in all that traffic: my goal is to arrive safe and sound without incident. "On time" is entirely secondary.

cotten
I live in the DC area. I think of the far left lane as the passing lane. If there is a car that wants to go faster than you then you just move over and let him pass.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 AM

Good job, man. Life is too short as it is. Good lesson for us all....
Old 05-15-2017, 09:36 AM

Too true. I can get mad. But if you think it thru to the end, there is no happy ending. It's either someone getting killed, hurt, or getting arrested. For what? Cus someone hurt your ego? I should be ashamed of myself!
Old 05-15-2017, 10:19 AM

One thing that's really gotten me out of "road rage" is riding the motorcycle.

It doesn't take long to realize that getting into confrontations with other drivers would most likely go badly for me; so now I shrug off whatever other drivers do.

I'd much rather have an inconsiderate driver get ahead of me and be on their way where they can't have an impact on me.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
One thing that's really gotten me out of "road rage" is riding the motorcycle.

It doesn't take long to realize that getting into confrontations with other drivers would most likely go badly for me; so now I shrug off whatever other drivers do.

I'd much rather have an inconsiderate driver get ahead of me and be on their way where they can't have an impact on me.
Funny story and maybe you can shed some light on my experience as someone who rides a motorcycle. I was on a parkway (55 speed limit) and I moved to the right lane when I saw a motorcycle approaching me quickly. I wanted to make way for him. But when I did that, he turned around and flicked me off. Maybe he was thinking I was going to stay in my lane and he was going to go around me.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudals1281 View Post
I live in the DC area. I think of the far left lane as the passing lane. If there is a car that wants to go faster than you then you just move over and let him pass.
I understand. We just don't call those two lane roads. We count all the lanes, not just the ones going in our direction. We'd consider this a 4-lane road:

Regional differences perhaps. To us, this is a 2-lane road:

No matter the road, arriving safe and sound is my primary goal. Everything else is secondary.

cotten
Old 05-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

There is something about the act of driving which reveals a primal violence in humans.

Every day, currently, Jane and I have to commute to a hospital 20 miles west of us, which is the same road that I used to my office until I left the corporate world in '93.

This road has three intersections which seem to cause confusion and, sometimes some aggressive driving.

I remember that back in the day , I was an aggressive driver, and would, at times take exception to other's actions - I was also frequently "wound up" about the challenges of the day to come.

We did it again this morning. The same silly things happened.

But this is southern England - no guns, no violence ......... but ......one day shortly after I had stopped making that journey there was an altercation which involved two drivers stopping for an argument. Two young married men with a bit too much tension and testosterone came together. One grabbed the first thing in the back of his truck that came to hand. It was an Axe. He killed the other man with it.

He was probably just another guy worried about getting to work on time, paying the bills, etc.

Our baser human instincts are never as well hidden as we'd like to think.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I understand. We just don't call those two lane roads. We count all the lanes, not just the ones going in our direction. We'd consider this a 4-lane road:

No matter the road, arriving safe and sound is my primary goal. Everything else is secondary.

cotten
In the UK the first road is called a dual carriageway, and the second would be very unusual to be that wide and probably have a line of parked vehicles on both sides.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:

cotten
It appears you are dead right. English is my second language so forgive me, Sir Cotten. Interesting, if a road has one lane going in each direction, I and many others call the road a one lane road. I think we all need to be re-educated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
There is something about the act of driving which reveals a primal violence in humans.

Every day, currently, Jane and I have to commute to a hospital 20 miles west of us, which is the same road that I used to my office until I left the corporate world in '93.

This road has three intersections which seem to cause confusion and, sometimes some aggressive driving.

I remember that back in the day , I was an aggressive driver, and would, at times take exception to other's actions - I was also frequently "wound up" about the challenges of the day to come.

We did it again this morning. The same silly things happened.

But this is southern England - no guns, no violence ......... but ......one day shortly after I had stopped making that journey there was an altercation which involved two drivers stopping for an argument. Two young married men with a bit too much tension and testosterone came together. One grabbed the first thing in the back of his truck that came to hand. It was an Axe. He killed the other man with it.

He was probably just another guy worried about getting to work on time, paying the bills, etc.

Our baser human instincts are never as well hidden as we'd like to think.

Last edited by Rudals; 05-15-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:48 AM

We are somewhat anonymous when we are in our cars so we tend to do things we would never consider doing while, for example, walking on a crowded sidewalk.
We become our cars when we are behind the wheel. A car can make the most mild mannered being into a super hero. We have 300 horses under the hood to speed away, and we are surrounded by steel. Cars with all their power and protection make us capable of doing things we can't do on our own. I can't run the 100 meters in 10 seconds, but even the fastest man on earth can't catch me in my car.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:54 AM

Getting into a car turns a lot of people into a different human beings.
The cars become sort of like a mask and they express their feelings rather freely while the same person would not be so expressive face to face. A car is an interesting tool that changes people, usually negatively.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 AM

i loved the ending to this story!!!
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 05-15-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The worst thing that can happen is you getting shot and you dying.
No, I think the worst thing would be for you to survive but get your child killed.

I'm glad this incident ended well, and I sincerely hope you continue to continue to learn to control your emotions, especially while driving. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
In the UK the first road is called a dual carriageway, and the second would be very unusual to be that wide and probably have a line of parked vehicles on both sides.
Here where I live, we no longer have many carriages. They began disappearing about the time electricity came to town. (Neither of those shots came from my area, they were freebies off the 'net that seemed to illustrate what I meant.)

I love the fact that the AGF is multi-national! Though we all use what we call English, we use it differently, and I enjoy learning some of these differences. It's a fascinating language, one in which a house can burn up and down simultaneously! We even have words with opposite meanings, such as recover. In one sense, recover means to hide away, as in the wear and tear on an old chair to make it look new again. But recover can also mean to bring out of hiding, as when an Ovation is found safe and sound among the debris after being washed away in a flood.

I've decided I also like being called Sir cotten, and shall henceforth refer to myself this way, in the third person as often as possible. At least for the next ten minutes or so, when my wife gets home.

Sir cotten
Old 05-15-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:

cotten
I was about to dig up the third choice, but @rudals1281 beat me to exhibit C: the "hurry up and floor it while the oncoming traffic is still far enough away!"

Quote:
It appears you are dead right. English is my second language so forgive me, Sir Cotten. Interesting, if a road has one lane going in each direction, I and many others call the road a one lane road. I think we all need to be re-educated.
I used to live in King of Prussia near the junction of Rts 422, 202, Interstate 76 and the PA Turnpike. Around there they count the shoulder as a lane. It was also there that I learned the "Hawaiian Good Luck" sign but had an experience in center city that caused me to be a less aggressive driver. Now I hope my scared expression as I cut off a transit bus brightened the mood of the other motorist who'd actually gotten out of his car.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic