The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-13-2017, 03:28 AM

Question Chimaera Question(s)

Hi Everyone,

All the talk on 12 strings and the wandering thread on this ..I thought I start a new thread more focused on Chimaera question(s).

ARe there sympathetic vibration from the 12 string when the 6 string is played and vice versa? Given emeralds great sustain how does the guitar dampen the other necks strings when playing the alternative neck?

Enquiring minds want to know....

I am sure there are a bunch of other questions out there as I get my mind around this incredible design.

Thanks...
Old 05-13-2017, 06:06 AM

This is a often asked question, but I have never had a issue with sympathetic vibration being a issue when playing the guitar acoustically or amplified. It can exist but to me it is very minor and I think it adds to the sound. Some doubleneck guitars (my earlier Ovation) will have a switch between the necks so you can isolate them. I found that to be counterproductive because you want to be able to go back and forth effortlessly.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-13-2017, 06:13 AM

Default Sympathetic

You do get some, but the more I play it, the less I even pay attention to it. Plugged in, I've recently solved more of the issue. The old Loudbox 100 amp I had serious issues with feedback coming out of my Chimaera. I'm selling that amp off on consignment and picked up another QSC K series PA, the smaller K8 for use as a small grab and go PA. Doesn't matter if I used a preamp pedal. For that I use a Zoom A3. There's something about those QSC's that just work.
An added incentive was the current K8's are being sold off cheaper to make way for the new version. I don't need the more expensive 2k wattage.

Note: some of those feedback issues were coming from sympathetic vibration, especially a few times playing in front of someone else's bass amp that was quite loud. Use caution where you sit when playing with others. What you use to amplify with also makes a huge difference.

Last night I hit a few strings hard and held the guitar in front of the K8 in an attempt to get it to feedback. Nothing happened.

When I play the bottom neck, I naturally mute the top one with my forearm of my picking hand. Mine has a twelve on the top, six on the bottom. When just playing the twelve, there's some vibration going on, but not that bad. Perhaps if it does get a little too much I might be quickly muting when I get a chance and just never realize it.

Unplugged you will figure it out, it's not an issue unless you request some kind of odd neck combination. Plugged in is new territory for me, I've only owned acoustics for a few years now, everything else is electric guitar, bass, Chapman Sticks. I'm not finding common ground with different acoustic guitars. Glad I learned about the QSC's through the Stick community or else I'd be wasting a lot of time on my own trying to amplify it all.

At point I could try making another vid in an attempt to create what you fear if you wish.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:03 AM

All my emplified experiences have been with a church praise band. No issues but we are not that loud and no amps on stage. I've heard your worst situation with any acoustic is with a amplified bass nearby.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 05-13-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Like AcouStickistNS and Doubleneck, my Chimaera is also a 6/12 configuration (12 neck on top). My take is like Doubleneck...sympathetic vibration does occur, but really is not noticeable while playing and may add to the overall tone. To eliminate it if I want, if I'm only using one neck for a given song, I capo the unplayed neck at the 12th fret.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:44 AM

The other issue you hear is how awkward two necks must be? Any doubleneck is a compromise it has to be. What surprises you with the Emerald is how well the compromises were balanced. The guitar is thin which makes it actually very comfortable to play. The large soundboard gives it a very good sound, to me it likes a good OM body sound. It doesn't have a booming base but it's very balanced. I have a wooden Yairi doubleneck which is very cool but it is a bit of a beast, given it's based on a deep big box with mahogany necks, and a bit overbraced to keep it together. The brilliance of Emerald is that they created something only carbon could produce and made a lot of very masterful choices. This is one that really could never be duplicated in wood. And I doubt any other carbon maker will take it on.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 05-13-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:02 AM

Thanks as always guys for your feedback and experience... you all bring up some excellent points and had not even thought about amplification at this point. I like you Steve play in a church band mostly and by myself and with friends. So looking for a simple amplification ..was wondering if a K&K passive system was even possible???? See there is a simple trap door in the back but not sure how you would switch between the two pickups? K&K makes a 12 & 6 but not sure they can be spliced together with a switch... hummmm

Thanks again!!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:42 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
The other issue you hear is how awkward two necks must be? Any doubleneck is a compromise it has to be. What surprises you with the Emerald is how well the compromises were balanced. The guitar is thin which makes it actually very comfortable to play. The large soundboard gives it a very good sound, to me it likes a good OM body sound. It doesn't have a booming base but it's very balanced. I have a wooden Yairi doubleneck which is very cool but it is a bit of a beast, given it's based on a deep big box with mahogany necks, and a bit overbraced to keep it together. The brilliance of Emerald is that they created something only carbon could produce and made a lot of very masterful choices. This is one that really could never be duplicated in wood. And I doubt any other carbon maker will take it on.
Again, I couldn't agree more with Doubleneck's comments. I'll add that despite the genius of the overall ergonomics and light weight there is an important consideration for anyone contemplating a Chimaera. When you first start playing it, the position of the necks will likely feel quite strange because one is higher, one is lower compared to where you're most familiar with a single neck to be situated. Because of this, although I adapted quite quickly, AcouStickistNS and Doubleneck likely did too, it slightly challenges one's comfort while playing, but you do get used to it so it's not an issue. That said, depending on one's own body/arm/hand ergonomics and/or health issues (e.g. arthritis), I can see where for some players, the Chimaera may never feel comfortable enough to play well and enjoy.

Also, it is a guitar that if you don't play it for an extended period of time, it'll take some time to get back certain skills, like timing when going back and forth between necks in a given song. I'm a barefinger picker/strummer (never use picks) and as a result, I find that on the 12 neck, my angle of attack with my right thumb is such that it causes more callousing. If I don't play the Chimaera for a while, my thumb takes a bit of a beating when I get back on it, so my playing may be sloppy for a time (this is likely true about getting back on any 12 string after a while of not playing it).

Despite the foregoing, it is an absolutely wonderful, fun guitar, especially being able to enjoy playing the many classic folk/rock songs that were written on a 12 string, some of which used both necks...ala Stairway, Hotel (yes, I still love playing those songs, especially with the Chimaera).

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-13-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:47 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Thanks as always guys for your feedback and experience... you all bring up some excellent points and had not even thought about amplification at this point. I like you Steve play in a church band mostly and by myself and with friends. So looking for a simple amplification ..was wondering if a K&K passive system was even possible???? See there is a simple trap door in the back but not sure how you would switch between the two pickups? K&K makes a 12 & 6 but not sure they can be spliced together with a switch... hummmm

Thanks again!!
I believe I had mentioned in a recent thread that my Chimaera has had a Baggs Lyric, but as I don't plug in much, I didn't really give it proper assessment. In my newly ordered one, I thought of having a Baggs Anthem SL or even a K&K installed, but I'll likely take Alistair's experience and advice to install a Baggs iMix where he feels it bests suits a doubleneck configuration.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:17 AM

K&K would work you could wire them to a stereo jack and bring both necks out separately to a stereo preamp like Dtar Solstice. I am sure you could splice them if you wanted with one output. When I got mine I installed a Lyric mic in the middle and brought both out. I have added mag pickups to that Lyric with the Lyric stereo jack. I had fun experimenting with all that but, Emerald currently offers the Baggs Imix with controls in the sound hole. I would do that if I was buying today.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 05-13-2017, 11:37 AM

Though Tom refuses to believe lol, I think a "Neckup" is very helpful for me to position the necks. (By the way they only work with the gloss finish). For it positions the lower six string higher which is more natural. The 12 then is a reach up but that is much easier and more natural as well. Also since it rests on my leg I find myself naturally without thinking moving my leg a little up and down to adjust the position. I actually can be away from my double for a while and it really takes little time for me to adjust.
The adjustment is to playing a 12, is just a little more challenging than a 6 since your not used to covering 2 strings with a finger; but that has nothing to do with two necks.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 PM

Default Rereading

In perusing past post I was wondering about this. I've a birthday and Father's Day coming up. Hoping to strike a sympathetic chord in my wife, aka the boss, for a new guitar.

I'm a shrinking 5'5". Acoustik, Steve, and Mark Black seem taller. But Martin Blanes seems short.

In your learned opinion. Would I be able to comfortably play such a 'beast?'
Old 05-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
In perusing past post I was wondering about this. I've a birthday and Father's Day coming up. Hoping to strike a sympathetic chord in my wife, aka the boss, for a new guitar.

I'm a shrinking 5'5". Acoustik, Steve, and Mark Black seem taller. But Martin Blanes seems short.

In your learned opinion. Would I be able to comfortably play such a 'beast?'
GD, I don't think height is the issue for Chimaera comfort. Rather, it may be more about ones own body shape, especially around the middle, arm and finger length, and when seated, which leg you prop the guitar on. I'm 5' 10-1/2", around 190 lbs. with average arm length, perhaps longish fingers. I have no problem with the Chimaera, even when seated with the guitar on my right leg. It doesn't mean that other body/arm/hand/finger shapes won't work fine with this guitar, but if one has arthritis issues, maybe it could be. Perhaps more than other guitars, such things should be borne in mind when contemplating a purchase, as Steve has said, a Neckup device may help.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
GD, I don't think height is the issue for Chimaera comfort. Rather, it may be more about ones own body shape, especially around the middle, arm and finger length, and when seated, which leg you prop the guitar on. I'm 5' 10-1/2", around 190 lbs. with average arm length, perhaps longish fingers. I have no problem with the Chimaera, even when seated with the guitar on my right leg. It doesn't mean that other body/arm/hand/finger shapes won't work fine with this guitar, but if one has arthritis issues, maybe it could be. Perhaps more than other guitars, such things should be borne in mind when contemplating a purchase, as Steve has said, a Neckup device may help.
Wow. Insightful. I'm dead. Used to be a 32. But that was 33 years ago. Now I'm a 41 waist size. Blame it on my asthma meds.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:51 AM

GuitarDoc, I sent you a PM just now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber