The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X20 Setups

With all of the X20's being delivered these days, I'm curious how the setups have been? Has anyone had to do any tweaking or saddle lowering? Thanks for any replies....
Old 05-10-2017, 04:36 AM
Charter Member

My X20 arrived with a perfect set-up for me; I have made no changes (other than strings).

For discussion sake, I did lower the saddle a bit on my X7.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:14 AM

I didn't change anything on mine. But I don't change much on most guitars I have.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-10-2017, 05:49 AM

... but some are very particular about how they like their setups, so it is inevitable that somebody will want to make changes, whatever the factory original.

With carbon, you at least miss making tweaks according to the seasons.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

I had mine lowered eventually after weeks with it. Meaning the set up was not in a way that I struggled to play and was not in a hurry to lower the saddle.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Just got my Emerald and the set up is just fine. Dont like the strings they put on these though so that is going to change soon.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-10-2017, 11:07 AM

I got mine about a month ago. After the traditional "my god that is one fine sounding and looking guitar" played a couple of days and changed to my ordinary strings 12-53 Elixirs. Action was fine but I felt higher than my 814 so I sanded tha bridge about 0.8 millimeters. Happier with the action now, still getting used to neck I find it a little bit more difficult to hang my thumb down to the a string but get used to it.
Have just put on a set of Newtone double wound albeit only 11-50 just to try those strings out.
The only Guitar I've had that was totally spot on from the start was the 814. But no fun traveling with it or taking her sailing every summer.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, I had to lower the saddle on my X7 also, it could use a bit more actually, and was wondering if the X20 would need the same...I'm pretty excited waiting for the X20 to arrive any day now.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:05 PM

I emailed Sean yesterday to see if they could bear in mind, my playing style info when they build mine. I haven't heard back from him yet but I imagine that I will.

Quote:
Besides having my X20 made with an 1-7/8" nut, I'm having the string spacing made 2-5/16" at the bridge. So, yes, I'm a 95% of the time fingerstyle player. I don't know if this is something you take into consideration when making the guitar or when doing the setup but anything you can do to make it optimum for this style of play would be much appreciated. I've had my Taylor 616 tuned down a half step for months and it plays beautifully at that tension and also works better with my voice. My intention is to tune the Emerald a half step down also, if it works well.

I just saw the May Select Series..... beautiful!

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 05-12-2017, 08:27 AM

I heard back from Sean at Emerald this morning. Just as hoped for, my preferences have been noted and they'll try to do a set-up that will suit my individual playing style. Yes, these are great people to work with!

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 05-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Mine came with the saddle ever so slightly too high for me. Not so much that I've even felt the need to sand the saddle, maybe someday.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I'm heading to Roscommon for a few weeks in June/July, I'm thinking I may drive up to the shop while I'm there (if the bride will allow it!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber