The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-07-2017, 12:43 PM

Question Best options for CF 12-string?

I'd like to try a 12 string guitar to expand my sound horizons. A traditional wood tone monster (Guild F512 or similar) seems the tone-logical choice, or other options (Taylor 356ce) for playability. But I love having maintenance-free and great-sounding CF guitars...so thinking of going CF for a 12 string.

I've heard wonderful things about the Rainsong JM3000, but it's no longer in production. Is Emerald the only CF game in town today? For those that have tried the X-20 12-string AND wood 12-strings, would you encourage a 12-string Emerald? Or is it worth chasing a vintage Rainsong? Or for a first go at 12 string, is it better to start with wood?

Would love to hear suggestions from experienced 12 string players. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 05-07-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:15 PM

I played a Guild F412 for years and loved it. My 12-string now is a Rainsong WS3000, and it's quite wonderful as well, but as you point out, no longer in production. There are people here who know far more than I do about the makes and models out there, but so far as I know, Emerald is the only CF company currently offering a 12-string CF guitar. I'd have no hesitations about buying an X20-12 AND they have no barn-door electronics for airlines to bash in.

For future references, Thomas Strieker of Leviora guitars is now developing a 12-string. I don't know whether that will become one of his regular offerings, but it'd be nice if it did.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:00 PM

Benderman57! Your need to handle this. doc
Old 05-07-2017, 03:10 PM

Currently Emerald (as mentioned several times) is the only one building a CF 12-string.

Rainsongs are out there, but they have the N1 neck, and are hard to find. I think I searched for 9 months before I found one.

Rainsong has the advantage of a more traditional shape, so much easier to find a proper hard case.

Emerald has the advantage of an adjustable truss rod.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-07-2017, 05:30 PM

+1 on the Emerald. Then add a cocobolo veneer.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 05-07-2017, 05:41 PM

FYI, Guitar center has a JM3000 in their used selection.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-07-2017, 06:26 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
FYI, Guitar center has a JM3000 in their used selection.
Great tip AZ - very tempting! May go do this...
Old 05-08-2017, 12:51 PM

Hey CC,

I spent a few years collecting 12-strings and in that time I went through quite a few. I tried many of the more well known models, as well as some few have ever heard of, in all sizes, from parlors to jumbos. To my ear, a jumbo body seems to be tailor made for a 12-string, providing a rich, warm tone with tons of projection. When I think of an acoustic with piano like tone, I think of a 12-string jumbo. I owned several good ones from Taylor, Gibson, and Guild, but in the end I decided that I prefer the tone of a 12-string dreadnought. Little more bass, and a little less sparkle. So in the end, my keeper was a Mahogany Spruce Gibson B45-12 dreadnought.

When it was time to add a go anywhere companion to my B45-12, I wanted it to be a CF dreadnought. Of course I played Rainsongs WS3000, and JM3000 many times, but to my ear, smaller 12-strings like the grand auditorium WS are better suited for stage or studio work, and since I wasn't planning to plug in, I definitely wanted a bigger voice. The JM3000 jumbo certainly has the biggest voice, and it was the most popular option in the store, but I wanted a dreadnought, so I got myself a CA Legacy 12-string. Sadly the Legacy 12 had the standard 1-3/4" nut, so while the tone was nice enough, the neck was just too cramped. So I decided to call Ashvin at Rainsong and asked him why they didn't offer a dreadnought 12-string. His reply, "no reason, why, do you wants one?". I said yes, and the DR3000 was born. I ended up with a DR3100 acoustic only version which has turned out to be the perfect companion to my Gibson B45-12.

Getting back to you, if this is your first 12-string, I would suggest starting out with a less expensive wood 12-string, maybe something like the Taylor 150e. Taylor builds the most playable 12-string you will find, the 150e sounds fantastic, and at around $700, it wont break the bank. If you find that you are playing the 12 more often, or you need, or want what CF brings to the table, than I would suggest you first considering what size 12 will work best for you, than consider your options at that time.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:42 PM

CC,

If you just want to test the waters in 12 strings, it's a buyer's market on the used side if you are only looking at woods. Assuming the sale goes without a hitch you can turn around and only be out a little on the price and/or shipping if you don't like it. As Evan would say, call it rent.

The Guitar Center Rainsong is probably the best price you will see on the CF side other than an Emerald. The pro is that you can have a relatively standard looking guitar to your door in a couple of days and it's CF. The con is that it's used so any warranty is second hand at best though Rainsong is reportedly easy to deal with but it's still not the same as straight out of the factory.

Otherwise, CF speaking, Emerald is probably the only game in town. Pros: 1) You can probably get a 12 string in your hand within a week or so for under what the used Rainsong is selling for new and straight from the factory if you are OK with the opus variety. 2) Or if you are able to wait a little while you can have it built to your specifications from veneer choice to scale length and it still won't cost much more than that used Rainsong. Con: If you decide you don't like it, then you might have a larger rent cost though I am not so certain that the cost would be much more as these things are apparently a bit rare to find.

I am currently saving my pennies and dimes to get a CF 12 string too, so I am following what you choose to do with interest. I have tried a few wood versions which has motivated me to finally try and save a little cash to hopefully get it right this time. I have an Emerald 6 string X20 and it is so comfortable to play. I have never found a wood 12 string that was anywhere close to it in comfort.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-08-2017, 02:19 PM

FWIW, Emerald has an Opus X20-12 in stock right now for immediate delivery. I was pondering it quite seriously until last week, but ultimately decided that I was happy enough with my Taylor 354-LTD for my fairly limited 12-string needs (only about 10-15% of my play time).

I may list my 354 -- along with several others -- for sale in the next month, and if it sells then I will be back in touch with Emerald for that X20-12. There really isn't any other option these days, except for used.

I agree with Ted's assessment of the tone being more balanced and less jangly with a larger jumbo body, but my right shoulder is finding large guitars too challenging to play these days. That is why my Taylor 615ce will be one of the wood guitars listed.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
...So in the end, my keeper was a Mahogany/Spruce Gibson B45-12 dreadnought...
Had one myself (my first "good" flattop) - near-double for Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" but with a not-quite-cherryburst/not-quite-teaburst finish that I've never seen on any other Gibson...

BTW CC, speaking as a happy owner I'd grab that JM3000 at just about any reasonable price...
Old 05-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Re: the JM3000 -- isn't it AZLiberty that often mentions the lack of a truss rod making it unable to tune his to E-e standard pitch without excess relief? Something to consider....
Old 05-08-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Had one myself (my first "good" flattop) - near-double for Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" but with a not-quite-cherryburst/not-quite-teaburst finish that I've never seen on any other Gibson...

BTW CC, speaking as a happy owner I'd grab that JM3000 at just about any reasonable price...
Mine is a reissue from the mid 80's, definitely a keeper.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Down in beautiful Key West on vacation and getting ready to enjoy the Nashville Songwriters Festival.

I've owned 2 different ws3000 rainsong 12 strings and 1 Jumo Rainsong 12 string. Great guitars with nothing really to complain about.

Having said that I no longer own any of them after getting an Emerald x20 12 string. The neck plays a little easier and to my ears sounds more open and less compressed. To me it's a nicer guitar overall and has kept me from wanting anything else in a carbon 12. It's just about perfect in every way.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 05-09-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I agree with Ted's assessment of the tone being more balanced and less jangly with a larger jumbo body, but my right shoulder is finding large guitars too challenging to play these days. That is why my Taylor 615ce will be one of the wood guitars listed.
The Emerald X20 is very close to a dreadnought in the volume of the body (Iʻm not talking about loudness), but feels smaller because of its contours. Going by the six-string, and videos of the 12, I don't think you'll be short on bass.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber