The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-29-2017, 09:25 AM

Default Inlay question

when you guys do a fairly complex inlay, like a script name or something, do you tack the inlay down in order to scribe the outline? Do you try and just hold it in place?
If you DO tack it down what do you use? I don't wanna end up permanently affixing an inlay to the top of my headstock

Thanks for any ideas
Old 04-29-2017, 11:44 AM

I'm an inlay beginner, but the articles/video I've seen use a small drop of Titebond Orig or just hold the inlay in place while scribing. Double sided tape is likely to break the pieces. Remove pieces by heating with heat lamp or heat gun.

I've had some decent results by gluing down a photocopy and routing to the outline on the paper (no scribing required). End result is all in the gap filler. I used black CA on ebony.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-29-2017, 05:30 PM

Very nice work!
Old 04-29-2017, 06:55 PM

Hide glue or fish glue, then you can use a heat gun or some steam and it comes straight off.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-02-2017, 11:48 AM

I took his inlay class at the last ASIA symposium, and Dave Nichols recommended just holding the inlay in place and tracing around it with a 0.5mm mechanical pencil. I've never been able to make that work.
I glue the inlays down with Titebond, with a paper backing on shell pieces (I glue a paper pattern to the back of the shell to use for cutting the shell, and leave it on after the shell is cut). A few drops of acetone aids in getting the shell off without breaking it.
et al
Old 05-02-2017, 12:08 PM

I just hold the inlay in place with a nail set or even just a large nail and trace around it with a pencil. I would rather not risk breaking it by trying to un-glue it.

Lots of ways to skin this cat.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:14 PM

I hold with a finger if possible just because it's faster, but small or complicated things usually need to be glued. I use elmer's. It's a developed skill to get just the right amount that it will hold in place, but not so much that it will break when you go to pop it off (I use a chisel to get under the edge). Use small dots of glue.

Also, do still press down on the piece with a finger while scribing to reduce the chance of accidentally popping it loose.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair