The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 AM

Default My first post and my first Martin

Hello to all. First, I'd like to say thanks for all the great information that can be learned from this site. I've been browsing for a while and finally took the plunge.

After a long debate between a Taylor 410ce, Martin D or DC series, Larrivee LV or D series and a Seagull Peppino D'Agostino, I finally bought my first Martin (all wood, DC-16GTE). I took the Martin plunge based on a recent trip to my local music store. I tried several different brands (not including Larrivee because no one in town carries them), and just loved the sound of the Martins. Especially the all wood models.

Being a long time fan of Takamine and the owner of a 1996 Santa Fe PSF-15C currently, I'm amazed at the difference in sound between the two, not to mention the playability of the Martin. Given that my Takamine is a Cedar top with Rosewood back and sides versus Martins Spruce top and Mahogany back and sides, this would surely attribute to the sound difference. I never knew what I was missing. The Takamine does has sentimental value to me because as it was my first 'real' guitar, or at least in my eyes. It was also a gift from my father. I'm not sure I'll ever part with it. I learned to play on an old, inexpensive Yamaha.

I can't help but wonder how the Larrivees play and sound. That may always be in the back of my mind. It's too bad that I didn't have the chance to get my hands on one in my search. However, I'm truly excited about the Martin. I'm not sure I could be any happier but again, I don't know what I'm missing. The Martin I found is a 2005 with about 2 play hours on it, mint with case and all paperwork from an individual. I got it for exactly half the music store/online vendor price for virtually a brand new guitar.

Based on my purchase, can someone put to rest my inquisitiveness about Larrivees? I just can't get the below video out of my head. It's an example of a Taylor and Larrivee played together. I love the fullness and sound of that old Larrivee (from what I can tell), although it's very close to having a hole worn in it. It's also my favorite contemporary Christian band (Needtobreathe). The Taylor also sounds absolutely amazing although I'm not sure which one it is (---ce).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CozhYXk5N1I

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited by axledobe; 10-15-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 AM

Welcome to AGF, and congrats on your Martin.

The Larrivee looks to be an L-09 without the pick guard (rosewood b/s, spruce top), though I may be wrong on that. The L has a nice lower end sound and is a great all-rounder for flat pick and fingerstyle. Thanks for sharing the YouTube link.

Bill
Old 10-15-2009, 12:47 PM

Hello there and welcome!
Congrats on a great guitar, and as far as your question on Larrivee, you can read this old thread (since we don't want to re- open old wounds...) which will take you to the conclusion that others' advice is pretty much worthless, and that your best bet is to play one and see if it works for you....
Here it is:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ked+at+larivee

Last edited by bluesypicky; 10-15-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Congrats on the Martin and welcome to the forum.

I would put Larrivees voicing somewhere in the middle between Martin and Taylor. With it's Mahogany back/sides the Martin is going to be warmer and woodier than rosewoods guitars, hopefully that was what you were looking for.........stop worrying about what another guitar might sound like and get to know your Martin, play that puppy!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 PM

Congratulations on the new Martin. I too have been wondering about the differences between Martin and Larrivee's mahogany/sitka guitars. I managed to try a D-05 in one shop and a D-16GT in another. FWIW - and bear in mind that I already own a smaller Larrivee OM-03R - I actually like the tone of the Martin better.

IME Larrivées, like Martin's Standard Series, sound "tight" when new but open up to reveal a more innate complexity. Larrivée's neck profiles, though, tend to be wider yet shallower and their bracing is sufficiently different to make their tone more balanced (equal bass/mids/trebles) than the Martin hybrid (scalloped) A-frame bracing pattern which is bright for a Martin but otherwise a bit more bass-oriented with subdued midrange and clear though not so compex trebles.

Bottom line IMO is that Larrivées (even the dreads) seem to be better for fingerstyle (or just general instrumental work) whereas Martin dreads are toned better for complimenting vocals and/or other instruments. That's just my impression. I like fingerpicking on my Larrivée because I can get the melody to ring out, but when I play a Martin (be it a DR, D-16GT, D-28 or D-35) it just seems to "wrap around" my vocal register so that it doesn't bury my voice but provides a nice bass/percussive accompaniment. YMMV.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:08 PM

Hard to tell on my little laptop, but the Taylor in that video looks like it might be a GS8.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Acoustic/GS/GS8/

My kids and I rock out whenever their single "Lay Em Down" comes on the radio.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:11 PM

Congratulations on a 16 Series Martin! Very nice. Larrivees are very good guitars, but I've never found one that worked for me. I like their neck profiles. I've owned two, and after some time, the "roundness" of the tone started to get, well, rounder, and the voice couldn't hold up to heavy fingerpicking because of the slower response. My experiences only, I'm certain others would disagree and they would be right, according to their playing style and what they like to hear. The two I had were OMs.
John

YouTube Fingerstyle Intrumentals

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion