The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 07:57 PM

Default At least it was an open mic and not a gig

Saturday night I went to a friends open mic and i had a bad case of cramps, hands, legs and forearm. Saturday I worked outside in the sun from morning till evening, mowing, weed whacking, hedge trimming, running a chain saw knocking down a few trees, split and stacked fire wood. I didn't keep myself properly hydrated throughout the day and it contributed greatly to getting muscle cramps that night, as well as dry raspy vocals.

Lesson learned, when I know I will be playing, light duty for the day and stay hydrated.

Good thing it was only an open mic and not a paid gig, by the middle of the second song my fretting hand was cramping and contorting my fingers into weird shapes. If it was a gig, I don't know what I would have done.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 05-28-2017, 08:02 PM

That's why I don't do anything but sleep & play.�� Not really but I do run everything through my "how will this effect my hands and voice" filter before I do it.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:43 AM

Lawn mowing, weed whacking, chainsawing or snowblowing - NEVER on a gig (or even rehearsal) day!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-30-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

This is great thread. I don't gig, but now I have an excuse for the dog when I just can't seem to get it together :-)
Old 05-30-2017, 09:49 AM

On the other hand, I like to go for a run on open mic days. It helps me stay relaxed.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 AM

Getting and staying hydrated is the main thing I do before a gig. You have to start getting hydrated several hours before you gig. Don't wait till you get there. I have a 40 minute drive so I will drink a Gator Aid on the way. I also hum along with what ever is if the CD player.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
....Good thing it was only an open mic and not a paid gig, by the middle of the second song my fretting hand was cramping and contorting my fingers into weird shapes.....
You missed the opportunity to try some weird jazz chords.

Actually tearing up my hands during load-in is one of the reasons that I stopped gigging. You have to carry a bunch of heavy awkward gear into the venue and set it all up, just when you need to protect your hands and save your energy the most. Sounds like you could have also used some electrolytes in addition to just water.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Guest12345inv

This is a good thing for me to have read. I feel like I'm hovering ever nearer starting going to open mics, at 46. Through absorbing all these kinds of tips once I do actually make it to a show in five or ten years' time it will only be a total disaster, and not reason to commit a cathartic high school massacre.

There are two open mics in the town I've just arrived in this afternoon, about half a mile apart. Once my guitar is safely hidden in the hotel I'm going to try and drift back and forth between them both, like some kind of sit-com double-booked lothario, with a different back story and shirt in each venue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion