The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-26-2017, 04:59 AM

Hey Jenn, really excited for you!

I have a light touch too and Mike used Italian spruce on my earlier guitars but is recommending blue spruce for the next one. I have another build by a different luthier just completed and the recommendation there was Engelmann and not Italian.

I am also aware that there is considerable variation in tops within each wood category. One set of cedar or redwood may have quite different properties to another. Mike knows you well and I am sure he will select the right set for your playing style and nail it perfectly!

Col
Old 05-26-2017, 06:00 PM

Default !

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and ideas!

I do, of course, tend to take Mike's advice. I love his "sound" and he knows my playing and my priorities quite well. I see him just about each week (his shop is 4 freeways exits from my home, and I'm there for a lesson with one of my teachers weekly), and he hears me perform once in awhile.

I have two of his already. My first good guitar, purchased used 10 years ago is a cocobolo/cedar CX, and he built me a cocobolo/Carpathian spruce Meridian in late 2010. I love both of them in different ways, but overall, the sound of the older instrument suits me better. I think where we're headed on this one is his new "Super Meridian" body.

Thanks again. Once we get started, I'll let you all in on the progress.

Jenn
Old 05-26-2017, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and ideas!

I do, of course, tend to take Mike's advice. I love his "sound" and he knows my playing and my priorities quite well. I see him just about each week (his shop is 4 freeways exits from my home, and I'm there for a lesson with one of my teachers weekly), and he hears me perform once in awhile.

I have two of his already. My first good guitar, purchased used 10 years ago is a cocobolo/cedar CX, and he built me a cocobolo/Carpathian spruce Meridian in late 2010. I love both of them in different ways, but overall, the sound of the older instrument suits me better. I think where we're headed on this one is his new "Super Meridian" body.

Thanks again. Once we get started, I'll let you all in on the progress.

Jenn
Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Do you have clips of your other two?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop