The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-20-2017, 11:30 AM

Default NGD: Tom Sands OO

In about a week, Tom will be delivering his latest guitar to me.

You may have read threads from Adamski about Tom (Tom Sands - Somogyi's new apprentice), and I was certainly intrigued by the glowing reports. I missed the meetings where they were played by a bunch of UK enthusiasts with universal plaudits, but decided to order a Tom Sands guitar despite never holding one. I was excited about commissioning an instrument from a young luthier, before he started making a real name for himself.

In July 2016 an e-mail dialogue rapidly ensued - I asked for an OO, like Adam's. Tom replied:

Quote:
The top – Adam’s guitar was European spruce. A couple of years ago I picked up a handful of Sitka Spruce soundboards from a supplier that deals in salvaged and reclaimed wood. This particular Sitka comes from the sleepers of a railway bridge that was demolished in Vancouver, BC. It's old, very old, lightweight and very stiff. I love Sitka, and this stuff has a gorgeous pink cast to it.

Back and sides - I have a gorgeous set of T'zalam (or Caribbean Walnut) - although not a true walnut, it looks like the kind of English walnut you just don't see anymore, it even smells the same when you cut it. It has a very similar tap tone to Koa and is becoming increasingly popular as people realise that it is a fantastic alternative.

Sitka over T'zalam would give you a slightly different character of sound, but I would build it in exactly the same way as Adam's Koa guitar to ensure the same volume, big round bass with sparkly trebles and the overall projection that I think everyone has been so surprised and impressed by from such a small 12 fret guitar!

The guitar I'm proposing for you is one I'd actually planned to build for myself but I simply don't have the luxury of time to do it! It could be a little belter!
Some of the build pictures:

During the build we have batted some suggestions and ideas back and forth, but I have let Tom make most of the decisions. This project was partly about the support to a luthier near the beginning of his journey, developing his tone and aesthetic.

The guitar been french polished, and has made it from Somogyi’s workshop in California, to Yorkshire in the UK. It has been strung, recovered from jet lag, and adjusted to both climate and life itself.

Tom has taken some high res pictures, and I guess I'll post these soon - but not before I see the guitar. More later!
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps
Old 05-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

It's going to be magnificent I'm sure.

I really am looking forward to seeing it.

Nice job.
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 05-21-2017, 03:58 AM

Thanks, Adam. Your reports and fine demos were the drivers for this. So it's your fault!
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps
Old 05-21-2017, 05:02 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats! I did play one of Tom's 00s at the recent Artisan Show here in the States. He certainly has a way with small guitars. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry...

Would you like me to have it instead?

😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmus View Post
Thanks, Adam. Your reports and fine demos were the drivers for this. So it's your fault!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 05-21-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmus View Post
Adams 00 is a lovely, sweet guitar with a big voice: I think you are going to be hugely impressed.

I'm personally a big fan of the french polish finish (I have a few nylons finished this way) but it doesnt offer the ding protection that nitro does. No big deal for me since I'm very careful with my guitars.

I've never heard of T'zalam but I guess 99.99% of people here haven't either? It certainly looks great and if Tom says it's the real deal then I would be confident it is.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Looks great I love what would call a modern approach to the Rosetta .

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 06-28-2017, 02:57 AM
Charter Member

....and this!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 AM

Default About time I posted some pictures!

All this Sands traffic on the forum reminds me that I haven't posted pictures of my completed instrument:

After a few weeks, the impression I have of the sound is that it is very good indeed. It is impressively loud for a small instrument, quite direct and articulate, with good balance. In some respects, understandably, it is a "teenager" - lots of energy and enthusiasm. Further refinement will come with age, over the coming months.

On Sunday, we had four Sands guitars in the same room. Mine seemed to stack up with the rest, which is pleasing!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Every aspect of the build is gorgeous, congrats!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:39 PM

This guitar is really lovely. I played it a few days ago and it is big, warm, supple and complex. Sounds far bigger than its 00 moniker would suggest. It is also beautifully put together and the woods are knockout.

I was particularly impressed by the fact that it sounds so open so shortly after being born. Perhaps that's some of the legendary 12-fret mojo?

A winner for sure.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-28-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Every aspect of the build is gorgeous, congrats!
Thank you!
Old 06-29-2017, 04:33 AM

Congrats! I loved this one too when I seen Toms pics. Love that Copper!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 06-29-2017, 12:51 PM

Thanks, Chad. I just subscribed to your YouTube channel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop