The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-01-2017, 05:34 AM

I played the ole road trip steel and nylon strings (the steel was sent to me twice for some reason...nice)... They do sound and play great and the workmanship is excellent. And Thomas is a great guy for sure.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-01-2017, 05:39 AM

The road trip steel had the Anthem in it and sound pretty darn good through a Schertler Unico.
This was back in Dec. 2012 in case you were wondering... we were just kids then.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-04-2017, 10:48 AM

So enjoy to play carbon fiber guitar during high humidity day here, no need to worry thoroughly
Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 PM

Default How's your 12-string leviora guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray Van Kirk View Post
Congrats!! I have one too, and I'm sure Thomas got rather tired of my endless emails. I am still discovering all the subtleties of playing it - I will be very interested to hear your experiences with it!! (And I've been bugging Thomas to build a 12-string... but we'll see...)

Oh, poop - I can't open the pictures at work. *sigh*
Hi, Kray Van Kirk, I saw from other post that Thomas started to build your 12-string leviora guitar, right? How's the progress now? Any news?

I just found that Thomas had tried to modify his leviora A1 fan fret simply by changing the nuts & saddle. In other words, we can simply get another nuts & saddle to play the baritone instead of getting another guitar(Though I have no idea how to play). I notice there's YouTube showing that too. Very nice!

http://leviora-guitars.de/en/leviora...t-2/#more-1803

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uFTybeYBK8

Last edited by douglasfan1; 05-16-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Recover the youtube
Old 05-16-2017, 04:46 AM

Wow...
I missed this one before. Beautiful.
The look of Levioras is growing on me. The sound samples that I can find sound promising too. Maybe I can put together the funds for a more basic one at some point.

How long does it take to get one, once you make up your mind?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-16-2017, 08:58 AM

I saw the mention of the baritone on the Leviora website but didn't pause long enough to realize it was only a switch of the saddle and nut! I shall have to try that at some point!! The video didn't play, unfortunately - I will see if I can find it on YT directly.

Thomas is working on the 12-string design, and is trying to use the same neck and headstock dimensions as the 6-string, meaning smaller tuners. I think it will take a while, but that's no problem; well-made 12-strings are wonderful things!

Perttime - I am thinking everyone's Leviora order will be a bit different depending on complexity. Douglasfan1 ordered one with a soundport and additional purfling and an additional bevel, while mine was a stripped-down simple version of the Artist model: arm-rest bevel, fan-fret, and K&K pick-up. Mine took 3 - 4 months, if I recall correctly.

Regarding tone and sound, I just now moved from Alaska to the lower 48 and am building a recording studio in the back yard. It is taking a long, long time to dismantle the little garden shed currently out there, because I am re-using the wood in the new studio and not just tearing it apart - it's all beautiful old-growth redwood. BUT - once that is all done I will be posting videos of the Leviora 6 and the new 12 along with some new songs and such. Hopefully not terribly far in the future!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 AM

Mine take around 7 months, but it is due to delay of the abalone purfling, the angel prayer's inlay and also time for my struggling between pickup combination. But the outcome is wonderful. I think normally it's like what Kray Van Kirk said.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray Van Kirk View Post
I saw the mention of the baritone on the Leviora website but didn't pause long enough to realize it was only a switch of the saddle and nut! I shall have to try that at some point!! The video didn't play, unfortunately - I will see if I can find it on YT directly....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uFTybeYBK8

I think sound quality isn't the best in the short baritone video. The percussive snaps are a bit irritating in my ears, at least.

The waiting time doesn't sound bad at all, for a made to order instrument.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-21-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Wow...
I missed this one before. Beautiful.
The look of Levioras is growing on me. The sound samples that I can find sound promising too. Maybe I can put together the funds for a more basic one at some point.

How long does it take to get one, once you make up your mind?
If you're going to order one, I would suggest to have the soundport option. Especially if you would like to play in a band situation. I have once played in a band setting for church worship. Although my guitar amp suddenly out of service, I can still hear from the soundport for what I'm playing (Not very clear but it does help in some degree). Really practical!

Also, it really helps if you choose to install active pickup. You can have the battery installed near the soundport so that you don't need to release strings for changing battery. Nice!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:58 PM

I just bought a Thalia capo for my Leviora guitar. I notice that the radius of the fret-board is varied. After trying a hour, I notice that around 9.5" or 10" are suitable for capo-ing first 5 fret. Anyone have similar experience?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 01-25-2019, 07:50 AM

I was honored to be part of the Leviora steel guitar tour, and I really really loved this guitar. Fan frets are a little different to play but one adapts easily. This is an extremely high quality guitar, and it's nice to see Thomas's custom work. Congrats!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-10-2020, 02:32 AM

Default Some modification thought on Leviora guitar

Here, since I owned my Leviora fan fret guitar for a few years, I would like to share my view on it. Let me point out some modification I did to the guitar first.
  1. I’ve change the cow bone saddle to FMI saddle
  2. I’ve tried the FMI nuts but then switched back to cow bone nuts
  3. It comes with 12-56 80/20 bronze Elixir strings, I’ve tried EXP16, Martin PB SP 13-56, and will have a try for EXP17.

• Saddle

For me, the sound of cow bone saddle can provide great volume, but a bit dry. After switch to FMI saddle, I notice the sound contains more layer, being a bit complex (Not much). Since carbon fiber is crystal clean when comparing to wood (I got an Engelmann spruce top with Rosewood back and side dreadnought as a reference). Cow bone saddle is a bit too dry for my hear. Furthermore, I cannot hear anything less compare to cow bone saddle. As a result, I will stick with the FMI saddle

• Nuts

This is quite tricky. For the nuts, that’s more like give and take situation. When I have the bone nuts on my leviora CF guitar, it gives me plenty of bass. I should say the sound is very balance, all treble, mid and bass are quite equal. When I switch to FMI Nuts, it takes away quite a portion of bass. However, the treble is coming out and being more complex instead of a thick fundamental tone. The balance of treble, mid and bass breaks. I cannot say it’s too much, but treble is standing out comparing to the others. Eventually, I switch back to the original cow bone nuts.

• Strings

I only use PB strings since the 80/20 bronze strings cannot survive more than 2 weeks with my hand. Then I’ve tried EXP16, which is 12-53 gauge coated PB strings. The sound is too sparkle. When fingers move along the strings, the sound is too bright. Also, it is a bit lack of bass.

Next, I’ve tried Martin PB SP 7200, which is 13-56 gauge treated strings. I think that’s the correct gauge of this guitar. I got sufficient of bass now. Especially when I down tune to Eb or D, the tension and the sound still able to be maintained. I have to admit that’s a bit hard to press at the beginning, but not that hard as my thought. It takes me 1-2 months to adapt it. Some people say the treble sound awful with heavy gauge strings but not my case. In addition, I keep changing between standard tuning and drop D, and I change strings every 2-3 months. Never break a strings. For 12-53 gauge strings, I do break the high E or the G strings once.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

Last edited by douglasfan1; 12-07-2020 at 09:24 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber