The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 AM

Default Titebond liquid hide wood glue

I'm referring to the 'ready mixed' Titebond in a brown plastic squeezy bottle. Has any one used it to hold a bridge in place? I'm not looking for guesses (I can guess and gamble myself ), just real life experience on this issue please. Thanks.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 AM

I have used the original Titebond for Guitar construction for years and never had a joint failure.The only problem with gluing bridges with the original Titebond is the bridge slipping when clamping . I overcome the problem by tapping in some pins in to the bridges base and gutting off the heads.When you press the bridge onto soundboard ,the pins hold it in place . I have not used liquid hide and I don't know if there is any advantage in doing so?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchita View Post
I have not used liquid hide and I don't know if there is any advantage in doing so?
Well, it's easy to use, it comes in a bottle and you just squeeze some out - that's the advantage. But if it's not strong enough - and that's the reason why I asked - then obviously, any advantages in that respect are negated by its lack of gluing power, if that's the case..
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
I'm referring to the 'ready mixed' Titebond in a brown plastic squeezy bottle. Has any one used it to hold a bridge in place? I'm not looking for guesses (I can guess and gamble myself ), just real life experience on this issue please. Thanks.
I have used it for a variety of musical instrument glue joints, but not for gluing a guitar bridge. My experience, and others have had similar experience, while others have not, is that 100% of what I glued with it came apart with normal seasonal high humidity. A letter to the editor once appeared in Fine Woodworking magazine from a reader who had built an entire guitar using Titebond's ready-mix liquid hide glue. It was summer in New York City and the humidity was high. His guitar was coming apart at every glue seam. The response from Grit Laskin was, paraphrasing, "You're screwed - don't use it next time."

One of the catastrophic failures was the top on a lute I made coming unglued. Pretty serious damage resulted.

I'd never use it on anything other than arts and crafts projects. If you are looking to avoid the issues with hot hide glue, I do recommend Old Brown Glue, a pre-mixed liquid hide glue. You can buy it direct, or Lee Valley now sells it. It has a one year shelf life.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I have used it for a variety of musical instrument glue joints, but not for gluing a guitar bridge. My experience, and others have had similar experience, while others have not, is that 100% of what I glued with it came apart with normal seasonal high humidity. A letter to the editor once appeared in Fine Woodworking magazine from a reader who had built an entire guitar using Titebond's ready-mix liquid hide glue. It was summer in New York City and the humidity was high. His guitar was coming apart at every glue seam. The response from Grit Laskin was, paraphrasing, "You're screwed - don't use it next time."

One of the catastrophic failures was the top on a lute I made coming unglued. Pretty serious damage resulted.

I'd never use it on anything other than arts and crafts projects. If you are looking to avoid the issues with hot hide glue, I do recommend Old Brown Glue, a pre-mixed liquid hide glue. You can buy it direct, or Lee Valley now sells it. It has a one year shelf life.
Ah, brilliant, thanks Charles. A veritable mine of information. Thanks.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Yup. That Tauber fella really knows his stuff. You should check out his website. Its a gold mine! If only I could remember the url.....
Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post
Yup. That Tauber fella really knows his stuff. You should check out his website. Its a gold mine! If only I could remember the url.....
Uhm, you mean charlestauber.com?

Actually, there isn't much on the site. It's on my to-do list to add more content.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Well, it's easy to use, it comes in a bottle and you just squeeze some out - that's the advantage. , if that's the case..

I realize I did not actually answer your question ,sorry. But I am still interested in why you would want to use liquid hide Glue ?.The original Titebond is also easy to use and has a long history of being successfully used in guitar making . I have used traditional hot hide glue , and I think it is unpleasant to use and is inferior to the more modern glues .
Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
I realize I did not actually answer your question ,sorry. But I am still interested in why you would want to use liquid hide Glue ?.The original Titebond is also easy to use and has a long history of being successfully used in guitar making . I have used traditional hot hide glue , and I think it is unpleasant to use and is inferior to the more modern glues .
I'm not answering the same question twice, sorry! I made my reasons quite clear. Or is this interrogation?!
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
The only problem with gluing bridges with the original Titebond is the bridge slipping when clamping . I overcome the problem by tapping in some pins in to the bridges base and gutting off the heads.When you press the bridge onto soundboard ,the pins hold it in place .
There are many solutions to many problems; this is how I've dealt with this one. For bridges with pins, I use 3/16" bolts through the first and sixth string bridge pin holes. They are used in conjunction with gluing cauls on top of the bridge and inside the guitar against the bridge plate. (I drill appropriately spaced holes in the cauls to match the holes in the bridge.) The bolts go through the sandwich of bridge caul, bridge, bridge plate and bridge plate caul. The "wings" or ends of the bridge are clamped with wooden wedges between the top of the bridge and the underside of the bridge caul. This arrangement prevents any movement of the bridge while gluing.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Uhm, you mean charlestauber.com?

Actually, there isn't much on the site. It's on my to-do list to add more content.
No...that's not it. It's something with tauber in it....maybe CharlyTauber.com.....no....It will come to me.

You have three pages on setting up a guitar. It is excellent info. You really need to put more stuff there. You have some knowledge to drop on us n00bs.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
No...that's not it. It's something with tauber in it....maybe CharlyTauber.com.....no....It will come to me.

You have three pages on setting up a guitar. It is excellent info. You really need to put more stuff there. You have some knowledge to drop on us n00bs.
HaHa, I like that - Tony the "noob." Right!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
. Or is this interrogation?!
No , just an interest in exchange of information ,the very reason for this web site and your original question .
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
That's very funny. A good belly laugh.

Quote:
You really need to put more stuff there. You have some knowledge to drop on us n00bs.
Anything in particular you'd like to see there?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
That's very funny. A good belly laugh.

Anything in particular you'd like to see there?
Anything from your repair experience that might differ from or add to the info on other sites. Frets.com has tons of info but there is more than one way to do everything. I'm sure you have seen topics that make you say to yourself, "That's not how I would do it."
That, good sir, is the info I would like to see. I know a repair guy named Charles in Florida whom I email for advice frequently. Most recently I hit him up for info on installing sperzel locking tuners. His advice was spot on and über helpful. Maybe something like that? I dunno. I just enjoy reading info on building guitars and seeing different takes on how to do something.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair