The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-16-2016, 12:28 PM

I had heard about the x10's, but didn't know when they would show up on the website for sale again. I saw pictures of an emerald with a pinless bridge, so I was looking into that as well. Not an easy decision, but a fun one...and I can't wait to decide what I'm going with and actually make a purchase.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Guest 928

Joe;

Your choices continue to grow as this thread continues to grow. There are a lot of options.

If you not in a great hurry you might want to wait for Alistair to start the road trips for his guitars. Any of his instruments will give you a good idea regarding the kind of quality you can expect from the CF field of guitars.

You might also indicate where you are and ask if anyone near you has a CF guitar that you could play.

Also, you haven't mentioned what you currently play, or what has been your favorite wooden instrument--that might bring out more suggestions.

My approach to CF instruments has been to try what I can find available and buy what is not available locally. In my search for my ideal CF instrument I've purchased a number of guitars and have found that they are pretty easy to re-sell. I count the difference in buy/sell price as rental fee.

The X10N has been a keeper for me; it is comfortable, it has great tonal and projection qualities, and it is incredibly easy to play. I like it enough to have asked Alistair to make me another one based on some new Emerald developments. That said, I should also point out that I have a Rainsong Parlor that is also a keeper.

I think what you'll find is that are a many CF guitars that might serve your needs and desires. Enjoy the search, may you live long.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFro84 View Post
I was hoping to get some input from those of you who have owned or played these guitars. I don't, unfortunately, have the opportunity to play these guitars before buying. They both look like excellent instruments. I really don't play finger style, but from what I've read the blackbird holds up to strumming too. Any insight as to how these come set up, and how they sound compared to each other. Listening to different videos, I feel like I'd describe the x20 as brighter, more punchy sounding, but I know it's hard to tell from videos sometimes. I also know that something as simple as changing the strings could vary the sound greatly. Anything I could hear from you guys would help! Thanks!
Both excellently made.
Apples and oranges, though as some have suggested.

The L13 is more traditional in looks and tone. I had a v.1 for a short time, one of the very first ever. I didn't keep it due to my disappointment with its sustain...but I'm sure v.2 is better, and besides, everything else I've owned from them was fantastic (Super OM, Tenor Uke). I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new L13.

The Emerald X20 is better put up against the Blackbird Super OM.
To me, the Super OM wins for tone, the X20 wins for comfort.
Both non-traditional in appearance!

Yes, I'd say the X20 is brighter, more percussive, snappy, harder, immediate.

If you're mainly a strummer, I'd be looking into a bigger body. The X20...or a Rainsong WS or Dread body. Or El Capitan if price isn't an issue.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:18 PM

I have had a L13 and played a X20 for a week. Totally different guitars. One traditional the other about as non transitional as it gets. Ted described the L13 well. I would get on the Emerald coming road trips and try a X20 out. Only way to know.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-16-2016, 07:07 PM

Anyone run into sustain issues with the newer lucky 13's? I really like the way Johnny Gallagher makes the x7 and x20 sound... The two videos of him playing those guitars on emeralds website are great to listen to. Are those acoustic or plugged in? They both seem like they would be loud enough considering I only play in my house. If anyone his familiar with The Tallest Man on Earth I really like how his playing sounds. I know he doesn't use carbon fiber, but with the mix of strumming and finger picking he does, would that help narrow down what might fit that style best?
Old 01-16-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFro84 View Post
Anyone run into sustain issues with the newer lucky 13's?
I haven't seen anyone commenting negatively on L13 sustain, v1 or current.
The L13 moved to its second version very quickly.

My issues might've been specific to that particular build...it was literally the first L13 to be sold at a dealer. There were several frets further up the board (along with the low E, even on lower frets) that just thunked. Again, that wouldn't put me off from buying a Blackbird. They're perfectionists and innovators, plus they have great customer service.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:43 PM

The L13 I have was made in Summer 2014. It has fairly incredible sustain. The X20 sustain is awfully close fwiw. I like strumming more on the X20 and I could go either way on finger picking. The L13 is a little easier on the fingers because of the shorter scale, but both guitars are great. If I could have only one I would probably give you a different answer each time you asked. I think the X20 has a broader range of applications and styles, but the L13 is such fun to play.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:52 AM

I have a 2013 version of the L13 and no problems with sustain here.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 01-17-2016, 03:02 AM

Sirwhale - I've seen your posts here and we've and a couple of exchanges but I hadn't seen your videos before. Great stuff and I dig your choice of tunes. The L13 is a great fit!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-17-2016, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
tdq & sirwhale;

Great demonstrations of the discussed instruments. I particularly like seeing/hearing two of tdq illustrating both the strum and pick of the X20. And sirwhale, good play, cool vocals. Thank you both for the music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Sirwhale - I've seen your posts here and we've and a couple of exchanges but I hadn't seen your videos before. Great stuff and I dig your choice of tunes. The L13 is a great fit!
Thanks people working on some Bert Jansch and Joseph Spence now.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 01-17-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Thanks people working on some Bert Jansch and Joseph Spence now.
That L13 is just the perfect guitar for your style. Good playing.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-17-2016, 12:31 PM

How loud is the x7? I've read the x20 can be louder than a dread when strummed, so that's pretty loud. How do the smaller L13 and x7 compare when strummed? Mot your post sums up where I'm at in the process of buying one of these guitars right now... That your pick would change every time asked. I think any video of the x7 I've managed to find is plugged in if they are strumming.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:29 PM

My X7 is about as loud as a decent full sized acoustic (my roughly OM sized Eastwood). I did a casual gig with a cajon and a Epi J200 for rhythm guitar and me playing Gypsy Jazz lead on the X7. No problem being heard to around 40 people. The Aylward is louder but the X7 is plenty loud enough for unplugged gigs.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-17-2016, 01:55 PM

So plenty loud for myself in my house. Decent sustain on the x7?
Old 01-17-2016, 02:43 PM

The X20 is really fun to play too, but I have to work a little harder at fretting the strings. The Pono baritone ukulele really contrasts this a lot because it is so easy to fret compared to either guitar. j

I think the point that will help you decide is that for the L13 you can have any color you want as long as it is black versus the X20 which has so many color choices and other options that you could order a different variant every year for decades and still not exhaust all the possible combinations possible. All those choices can make choosing very hard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber