The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-13-2016, 10:49 AM

Default How much time to learn new songs

I know this is a silly question as everyone varies, but basically I started learning guitar in early Dec. I've learned several open chords, practice one minute drills and learned to strum 3 easy songs (stretched over the couple months I've been learning).

Here the thrust of my question, now that I can randomly change chords easily now, strum a few songs I thought I was on the downhill slide, BUT when I try to sing (also new to me) and play a NEW song and hit the chords at the right spot I mess up and get very frustrated.

I figured after learning chords & how to change them any new song would be about a 1o minute ordeal, man was I wrong LOL

So, what's a reasonable time to commit to each new song? (simple strumming along with 3 or 4 chords while singing along)

Hope I explained well enough, I'm rushing out the door. Thanks in advance.

(great forum BTW)
Old 02-13-2016, 12:38 PM

It takes a while I learn the guitar part first until I memorise it. I learn the lyrics separately and memorise those. Then I practise the two together.

Then it's a case of perfecting, which takes even longer, but of course, by this point, as the song is memorised you can just go practising everyday and you'll see it improve over time as you become more comfortable with the song.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 02-13-2016, 01:01 PM

There is no standard, as we all approach the issue from different places in our musical experience. At three months into guitar, it will take as long as it takes. But in time how long it takes will gradually become less and less.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Soooo many variables. Such as:

1. your skill level
2.Your memory
3. complexity of lyrics
4. Complexity of progression
5. complexity of your preferred arrangement.

What I would say is that a performable/recordable standard is like a painting - "never finished - just when you stop adding to it".

Also ther more you play a nmber, the more it changes /evolves anyway.

some-one once asked Tom Jones why his original version of his most famous song had changed over the years. He replied "It's not unusual"
Old 02-13-2016, 01:26 PM

I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

You know, I don't have any "set time" framework for learning a new tune... depends on the song, actually... and how involved the lyric is.

Many times, I'll think of a tune and remember it, and go, "Oh, I should play this one...", and I can do a credible rendition in short order... other times, I'll embark on the "learning process", figuring out chords and the "form" of the song, and then dig into the lyric and begin to memorize that, and before you know it, I have 3 weeks into the song, and I still can't do a decent take of it!

There have been times when I really love a song, but, after spending the time to learn it, I realize that there's really no way for me to do a convincing version, not as a solo guitar and voice type of guy... so I jettison that one and move on to the next!

For lyrics, I've found that, if I transcribe them, actually write them down as I listen to the song... pausing after each line to write... that by the time I have all the words written, I no longer need to look at the printed words, they are already ingrained in my little brain! A big downside to internet learning is to just be able to see the lyrics and read them... and if I keep doing that, I never really learn the words.

I only play songs that REALLY float my cork, that I truly love and enjoy, songs that say something that resonates within me... I think that helps a lot to learn them and remember them, as opposed to learning a tune because it's popular and "people" want to hear it, or learning a song because someone else in the band wants to play and sing it. A genuine level of positive emotion is a great motivator and memory device.

I hate to tell you this, pal, but if you've just learned a few chords and a couple songs and "think you're on the downside", you have a LONG way to go! It really isn't some sort of race or competition, and the sooner you can leave that mind-set behind and just dig in and have fun playing music you love, the better off you'll be.

When you're fitting your playing and your voice into a song, I would suggest having at least HALF of the equation down-pat... whether words or chords/playing, you must be able to do that half without much, if any, conscious thought... and that will let you deal with the other half as you go along. Personally, I've found that knowing the form and the chords before I start doing a "real" vocal version of a song is the best way to go, but you may find it easier the other way 'round...

Have fun! Keep learning the songs YOU want to play...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-14-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Traylor View Post
I know this is a silly question as everyone varies, but basically I started learning guitar in early Dec. I've learned several open chords, practice one minute drills and learned to strum 3 easy songs (stretched over the couple months I've been learning).

Here the thrust of my question, now that I can randomly change chords easily now, strum a few songs I thought I was on the downhill slide, BUT when I try to sing (also new to me) and play a NEW song and hit the chords at the right spot I mess up and get very frustrated.

I figured after learning chords & how to change them any new song would be about a 1o minute ordeal, man was I wrong LOL

So, what's a reasonable time to commit to each new song? (simple strumming along with 3 or 4 chords while singing along)

Hope I explained well enough, I'm rushing out the door. Thanks in advance.

(great forum BTW)
Sounds like you're doing well if you only started in Dec!
But singing is different skill, and singing with guitar another one again!

The trick is - sorry! - more practice. A good saying to remember is "practice until you get it right - then practice some more until you can't get it wrong".
The guitar part has to be automatic, before you try singing. You have to not just know it, but to have played it enough for it to be more or less subconscious, because the timing of the vocal is likely to have its own rhythm, only partly connected to the chords.
Of course, while learning the chords and changes, you can try humming along, or attempt the easier parts of the song. (Humming might be easier to begin with than singing the words.) But don't expect it to all come at once.

You can try a couple of basic approaches (once you really have the chords down):
1. sketch the whole song out, over and over, humming or singing as much as you can without disturbing the guitar playing. You'll probably find some parts come easier than others. Focus more on the harder parts.
2. Take it bar by bar. Practice bar 1 over and over until it's working. Then add bar 2, so you're singing/playing 1+2 together. Etc.

IOW, in a painting analogy, method #1 is like drawing a whole scene first, and then building up colours steadily over the whole picture. Method #2 is like taking a very small part of the picture and getting that completed before moving to the next part.
Different methods appeal to different people; or you may find one method works for one song, and the other method for a different song.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

hi D.T…

If you find a friend who plays about the same level as you, or maybe even a little bit better, and sings you will learn a whole lot quicker than just trying to master this stuff in a vacuum. Playing along with friends means you both learn and grow.

And once you have mastered a song in a particular Key (let's pick key of G), then the next time you hit a song in that style and key, it will go quicker.

Then if you plan an open mic outing to go and sing a couple songs you will have incentive to have the songs learned and polished.

It's not magic. I moved into guitar from ukulele and within 6 weeks was playing in public. I sure wasn't as proficient as the more capable players, but then I wasn't expected to by either. I learned what I needed, stayed curious and grew as fast as I could, and played arrangements in line with my talent at the time.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write