The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Question Any word on a full size 16" wide Kevin Michael by McPherson guitar?

The title says it all. Anyone hear any word on a full size Kevin Michael by McPherson carbon fiber guitar? I'd love to see one in the standard MG5.0 or 4.5XP size.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 10-12-2015, 04:31 PM

Hi Bobby,

I get calls for this all the time and the answer is yes, a larger guitar is in the works. Not sure if it will be ready for winter NAMM, but probably sometime in 2016. I'll see if I can get some more details.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:17 PM

Any update or word from McPherson on this? As far as carbon fiber necks go, I much, much prefer the Kevin Michael travel guitar's neck to the others I've had/tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Bobby,

I get calls for this all the time and the answer is yes, a larger guitar is in the works. Not sure if it will be ready for winter NAMM, but probably sometime in 2016. I'll see if I can get some more details.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I haven't tried a Kevin Michael. My only reason for commenting is, assuming that a full-size model is the same as the initial one only bigger, don't expect the tone to be the same, only louder. I say this because when CA indroduced the full-size GXi offset soundhole model based on the Cargo, already owning a Cargo, I bought a GXi. I really liked both, but the GXi was a whole nuther beast...in a good way. I still have the Cargo, but sold the GXi only to help fund my Emerald Chimaera 6/12 double neck.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:18 AM

I'm curious too, keeping an eye out for more info as it comes...
Old 11-18-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sologratis View Post
Any update or word from McPherson on this?
Have not heard back from my KM rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I haven't tried a Kevin Michael. My only reason for commenting is, assuming that a full-size model is the same as the initial one only bigger, don't expect the tone to be the same, only louder. I say this because when CA indroduced the full-size GXi offset soundhole model based on the Cargo, already owning a Cargo, I bought a GXi. I really liked both, but the GXi was a whole nuther beast...in a good way. I still have the Cargo, but sold the GXi only to help fund my Emerald Chimaera 6/12 double neck.
Back in 2008, I had CA build me a custom GXi to match my custom Cargo, but I never could bond with the GXi, just too bass heavy for my taste. While the offset soundhole of the Cargo helps it to "fake" a big guitar tone rather nicely, I honestly don't think the GX body benefits from the offset soundhole at all.

BTW, I suggested using an offset soundhole on the X5 and X7 to Alistar back in 2009, when he visited the store. I felt the OS would add needed bass response to the little guitars. At the time Alistar expressed some concern about not wanting to copy the Cargo. I felt he didn't need to worry about CA, given they didn't invent the offset soundhole, never the less Alistar waited till CA closed before building his first OS models. As it turned out, we never got the added bass response I was hoping for on the X5 and X7 due to the large size of the soundhole, but the OS does serve to direct sound towards the player, and looks rather natural, and very cool on these guitars.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Are the smaller version KM's out? Who has them and what is the street price? How do they compared with other small body CF guitars?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Guest 928

The smaller version has been out for a while, it is expensive, and I believe that there are a number of reviews. It's definitely worth taking a look.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Now that we are getting closer to NAMM any word on these?? Ted?

Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Now that we are getting closer to NAMM any word on these?? Ted?
I still haven't heard back from the rep, but I'll be at NAMM next Thursday and will certainly stop by their booth.

Stay tuned.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:47 PM

Talked to my rep today, Bobby, definitely stopping by the Kevin Michael booth next Thursday. Stay tuned.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
The title says it all. Anyone hear any word on a full size Kevin Michael by McPherson carbon fiber guitar? I'd love to see one in the standard MG5.0 or 4.5XP size.
Would rather see the 3.5 to 4.0 for size.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

They updated the Kevin Michael page today with info on the new Sable model but its only 15" wide which is for sure to small for me. I guess I'll be waiting until they come out with an MG based model to purchase. I'll be curious to hear how much this new Sable model costs.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:40 PM

Oops, posted a reply in this thread by accident. Better add something worthwhile!

Hey, it's only 15" wide, but maybe that cantilevered fretboard gives the top some extra movement and makes up for width?

Last edited by tommyld; 01-21-2016 at 01:47 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber