The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 PM

Default Damaged bridge plate on 2013 Gibson J-35?

Hey guys...first post. I traded an amp I wasn't using for a 2013 Gibson J-35 in seemingly mint condition a few weeks ago. Tonight while I was changing strings i took some photo's of the inside with my phone just to see if everything looked good on the inside. I noticed what looked like some abnormal wear on the bridge plate and wanted to get some opinions from you guys...I'm a freak about my guitars and want to make sure nothing is wrong lol. Looks like some wood is chipped of between the E-A and A-D, and the pins on the thicker strings seem to have a slight lean forward. Is this normal on a 1-2 year old guitar?

Old 07-30-2014, 05:35 AM

That's chip out from when they drilled the holes at the factory. factories are about production speed so they don't take a lot of care when drilling those holes and chip out like that is unfortunately common. The thing to watch for is that the balls on the strings are not pulling through the bridge plate like your low E string is starting to do. Also as to the leaning, if you look the pins that are leaning are not seated as as deeply in their holes. This could have happened when you tightened the strings and they lifted a bit or the ramps in the bridge are not quite deep enough. But either way it will allow those balls to start to suck through the plate which will eventually need repair.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:43 AM

A Plate Mate or a Taylor string ground can be installed (and easily removed). I've installed Plat Mates in two guitars and thought I could not hear the difference. Jon

https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylor...g-ground-fused

Cheaper on eBay:
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...late_Mate.html
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-30-2014, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the info guys! So as for the bridge pins that are "leaning"...they seat perfectly when the string is loose but as i tighten the string, it always pops up a bit and returns to this position. I've tried holding them in with a bit of force as I tune them up but it doesn't work. How can i fix this?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 AM

i suspect that those pins/holes are not the same taper as each other, or there isn't much of a taper in the hole in the first place. i'd look in to that.

the bridge plate looks to be laser cut -interesting. it looks as though they just can't seem to crank them out fast enough.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 AM

One thing to consider also is that the bridge has a slight taper...higher on the bass side and gets more shallow as it goes to the treble side. That would account for the appearance of the bass side bridge pins looking like they aren't going in as deep as the treble side (in the pic of the bridge plate with all the strings in).
Old 07-30-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastr View Post
One thing to consider also is that the bridge has a slight taper...higher on the bass side and gets more shallow as it goes to the treble side. That would account for the appearance of the bass side bridge pins looking like they aren't going in as deep as the treble side (in the pic of the bridge plate with all the strings in).
certainly true, but your pins are all leaning towards the nut indicating a problem with either the pins or the holes.

if you take off the strings and place a finger with slight pressure on the ball of each pin, (one at a time of course) and reach around inside the guitar and try to wiggle the end of each pin, you should feel no movement.

fwiw, bridge pins are made with less then 7 degs per side of taper which makes them a self locking taper. as such they should not move when pressure is applied.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM

Yeah I actually just tried that...I pulled off the strings and the first 4 bridge pins on the bass side have a little rock back and forth. Is this something that could cost me a lot to fix? I love the way the guitar sounds...but this kinda bugs me
Old 07-30-2014, 12:24 PM

Jastr: Not wear, workmanship carelessness. Most likely your pin holes are not tapered to fit pins but just drilled through at one diameter.
Tom
Old 07-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Straight pin holes are common on most Gibsons, and on recent Martins. Chipped or worn pin holes are also very common, particularly when the pins are slotted plastic.
I usually repair most of this type of damage with thin super glue and wood dust. Masking tape is applied to the underneath side covering the pin holes, and dust and glue are alternately dropped in the hole, filling it about 1/4" deep. The holes are then drilled (using a backing block, of course), then taper-reamed to fit the pins.
In my shop, this is a quick repair that runs around $15.
While I am at it, I also prefer to slot the bridge and install unslotted pins. That will minimize future damage to the bridgeplate, and you will never again have to worry about bridge pins popping out while tightening the strings.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastr View Post
Thanks for the info guys! So as for the bridge pins that are "leaning"...they seat perfectly when the string is loose but as i tighten the string, it always pops up a bit and returns to this position. I've tried holding them in with a bit of force as I tune them up but it doesn't work. How can i fix this?
You may have to check the taper and diameter of the bridge pin holes and adjust to fit. This is a common issue and nothing serious.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair