The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Default U-Beaut Hard Shellac

I was looking at LMII the other day and saw this product http://www.lmii.com/products/finishi...t-hard-shellac

Have any of you tried it on a guitar or done any testing with it? Mostly I am interested in the durability of it as compared to regular Shellac.

For those who have used it were there any application or curing issues with it?

Thanks for your time!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have used it with success. I am pretty traditional in how I French polish and I wouldn't recommend using it if you are not rubbing it in. I have to say I don't see a large difference on how hard it is but, I go really thin on my finishes so I wouldn't expect to.

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Its uniquely different than traditional shellac in that its tougher and can be power buffed if needed. Traditional shellac is gone the second you touch it to a traditional buffing wheel. I have used it quite a bit and I like it. Downside is its more expensive than flake shellac ... but ... its a bargain compared to many modern catalyzed finishes. Fitness1 played his guitar daily for 2+ years without a hint of wear. It repairs just as easily as traditional shellac too.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Musical minimalist

Yes, I mentioned the Osage OM Tim built in another thread in the general section today about FP finished guitars.

It seemed pretty tough to me - only marks put in it where when an electric player with really poor technique asked to play it and he put some very minor marks in it. It also seemed more clear and consistent visually than some other FP finishes I'd seen in the past.

The guitar definitely had magic tone too......

Last edited by fitness1; 07-31-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Its uniquely different than traditional shellac in that its tougher and can be power buffed if needed. Traditional shellac is gone the second you touch it to a traditional buffing wheel. I have used it quite a bit and I like it. Downside is its more expensive than flake shellac ... but ... its a bargain compared to many modern catalyzed finishes. Fitness1 played his guitar daily for 2+ years without a hint of wear. It repairs just as easily as traditional shellac too.
sounds interesting. i'll have to check it out. thanks.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like a pretty good product...maybe time for a little test!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:30 AM

I see that this is already mixed. Does anyone know of it has a shelf life like regular shellac?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

One year shelf life. The product has added plasticizers that make it tougher, supposedly. I have used it in normal French polishing mode, but have not had enough experience with it to say it's better or worse. I do know one classical builder that has been using it for a couple of years now, and is pretty happy with it.

There is also another product on the market that is a shellac product, also pre-mixed, that does not have plasticizers, but does have resins added that produce a tough, alcohol and water resisitent finish that can be applied with a brush or pad, then buffed out after it cures. It can also be used for French polish type application. Robbie O'Brien has been using and testing it, and seems impressed with it. It's called Royal-Lac. I have been testing it, with just a wipe on type test, but have not completed the test yet. It has a 2 year shelf life. He also makes a Seal-Lac that has some solids, I think that can be used to seal and it actually begins to fill pores a bit. All pretty interesting. The Royal-Lac is also available in shellac colors, blond, orange, garnet, and there's a darker blond that I think is called beige, but not a very good description of the color.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop