The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 08:58 PM
Guest 1511

Default Re-fret with stainless steel: the results

A month ago I bought a SCGC 00 off eBay, with pitted frets from 1-8 on the E and B strings. I decided, after much discussion here and elsewhere, to have the entire guitar re-fretted with stainless steel frets. I got it back today from Gryphon.

Looks: First off, it looks spectacular. I love the color and look of these frets: very classy. Gryphon smoothed out the ends and it looks as if the guitar was built from the factory with them.

Feel: More than one person has said they would feel different. They do. They feel better. Bending is easier and they feel really nice under my fingers. I'll say though that I notice the difference between Elyxr coated strings and non-coated strings much more readily than the difference between nickel-silver frets and SS. My fingers slide too much on Elyxrs.

Sound: Some said the sound would change, others said it would not. The sound did change. But it's not a big change. The guitar is, if anything, more precise sounding, more articulate. The notes of a chord are more distinct. It's not "brighter" as in more trebly, but it's clearer, as in more piano-like I suppose would be the best way to put it. I'd say the new frets have moved it more toward the Collings sound spectrum, not all the way, just a touch.

The basic character of the sound of this guitar is unchanged. The sound is just a touch clearer. I think that's a good thing. I say better to be clearer than muddier.

Some said there would be this kind of zinginess to the sound sometimes. I am getting a touch of that on the 12-guage E string at the 5th fret, but I suspect it's actually due to the saddle on this guitar being chipped under that string. I suspect it will go away when I put in the new saddle I made for it. I can't remember if it was doing this before I took it in. It might have been, I was having multiple issues due to those pitted frets so it could have been there and I'm just not remembering. I would suspect that if these frets were imparting a zingy quality to notes I'd hear it elsewhere too; I do not. I have played every note on the fretboard and they all ring truly, richly and without weird extra tones.

It was expensive to do but I'm glad I did it. I don't think I'll have to worry about frets on this guitar ever again. I'm not going to rush out and have my other two re-done, but when those wear down I will get those done in stainless steel too.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

SS frets are the way to go. Glad you like them!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:00 PM

Great to hear this result - thanks for giving us the conclusion. I may go that route for the next refret, but I worry that moving my Collings toward the "Collings sound spectrum"might be too much.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbsBruce View Post
Great to hear this result - thanks for giving us the conclusion. I may go that route for the next refret, but I worry that moving my Collings toward the "Collings sound spectrum"might be too much.
TBH I don't actually believe there's a tonal difference other than confirmation bias.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:18 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbsBruce View Post
I wouldn't worry about that. I doubt it will make much difference on a guitar that is already very articulate. For what it's worth, I think mine sounds better now than before. I'd do this again without thinking, and will when my other guitars end up needing it. The only down side is the expense and finding a shop willing to do it.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
TBH I don't actually believe there's a tonal difference other than confirmation bias.
You're probably more right than wrong here. My guitar probably sounds better because it has better frets, not because they are made of stainless steel instead of nickel-silver. I think low, pitted, worn frets harm tone.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:11 AM

someone here said that would be harder to play .as in fretting ..? don't know... i 've considered steel frets for a while now ,but don't want anymore pressure pushing down on the strings.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-13-2018, 05:36 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks for the report!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-13-2018, 05:42 AM
Guest 1928

I only have SS frets on one guitar, which came with them so I have no before/after reference for that one. As you note, they don't really wear, so if I ever change them it will be for the sake of variety rather than necessity.

FWIW, not all shops charge a tremendous amount more for stainless (or EVO) frets. Bryan Kimsey for example only charges $30 more.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:09 AM

Thank you for the excellent report. My Probett Rocket III electric came with SS frets and I love them. I've played it hundreds of hours - mostly blues and jazz - with lots of the usual bending. There is NO discernible wear on the frets. I'm definitely a fan and will go stainless on any future refrets on my other guitars.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 03-13-2018, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
someone here said that would be harder to play .as in fretting ..? don't know... i 've considered steel frets for a while now ,but don't want anymore pressure pushing down on the strings.
That's a function of fret height and profile, not material. If you refret in SS with the same kind of fret profile your guitar had before the refret, the pressure required to fret will be the same.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post

Absolutely, confirmation bias was and is unavoidable on subjective matters. In addition in this case the prior frets were in poor condition, etc.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 AM

I have never had to re-fret any of my guitars but if I did, SS would be the way I would go. Being harder, it will last much longer and bends have got to be easier. Sometimes, you can order a guitar with SS frets. Again, that's the way I would go for the small extra charge.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:52 AM

I developed a nickel allergy, sold most of my fretted instruments, redid the keepers with SS. Love the new frets in the main. Only issue is with roundwound strings on my bass -- releases can cause a "sproink" that didn't happen with the old nickel-silver.

I've recently played a couple Martin dreads that were redone with Evo Gold, also hypoallergenic. I like those as much or more.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion