The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Musical minimalist

Default INFJ personality type (Myers-Briggs)

I've not been exposed to this information in the past, but today I stumbled upon a lengthy article and felt like someone was reading a story I'd written about myself.

At one point it lists some careers that are well suited and, no surprise, one says "musician". Just wondered if others here had discovered this info if it applies to them.

I've been really struggling lately, and mostly for reasons out of my control, but increasingly so as I age I feel that I'm just not fitting the mold any longer. I'm sure that is normal to some point, but this information made me feel a little less of an oddity in our modern world.

http://soulspottv.com/blog/rarest-pe...ity-type-infj/

Old 01-06-2018, 12:42 PM

I’ve taken Myers-Briggs tests maybe 6 times in the past 15 years. One was and extended version administered by a Myers-Briggs certified professional... all came out with almost the exact same results, just a percent or two difference after all these years. (I’m INFJ, too. The best kind to be, IMHO). I eventually changed careers and no longer feel like I was absent the day they handed out the rules. I was a banana masquerading as a grapefruit.
2005 Alvarez AJ-60S/12 NAT
2005 Aria Sinsonido AS-100S
2004/5 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Series (MIM)
1988 Fender F-210S
... and because I love all my children equally:
1974 Tiesco “Strat”
1971 Ronda made for Paul A. Schmitt Music Co.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbe View Post
I’ve taken Myers-Briggs tests maybe 6 times in the past 15 years. One was and extended version administered by a Myers-Briggs certified professional... all came out with almost the exact same results, just a percent or two difference after all these years. (I’m INFJ, too. The best kind to be, IMHO). I eventually changed careers and no longer feel like I was absent the day they handed out the rules. I was a banana masquerading as a grapefruit.
Between about '93 and '03 I did a huge body of reading on spiritual issues and related topics and it helped change me in a similar way - although I never "worked" at anything I didn't like, I just ended up honing it into doing what I loved for myself. Can't imagine ever working for "the man" again.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I think that the coolest thing about the Myers-Briggs is that it's a non-judgmental inventory in that there is no bad combination of four letters. I believe that the toughest thing for respondents is to reply honestly as opposed to how we would like others to see us. Todd, had you also seen the following under INFJ careers????

First and foremost, INFJs need to find meaning in their work, to know that they are helping and connecting with people – an INFJ Ferrari salesperson is a non-sequitur. This desire to help and connect makes careers in healthcare, especially the more holistic varieties, very rewarding for INFJs – roles as counselors, psychologists, doctors, life coaches and spiritual guides are all attractive options.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-06-2018, 01:13 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I think that the coolest thing about the Myers-Briggs is that it's a non-judgmental inventory in that there is no bad combination of four letters. I believe that the toughest thing for respondents is to reply honestly as opposed to how we would like others to see us. Todd, had you also seen the following under INFJ careers????

First and foremost, INFJs need to find meaning in their work, to know that they are helping and connecting with people – an INFJ Ferrari salesperson is a non-sequitur. This desire to help and connect makes careers in healthcare, especially the more holistic varieties, very rewarding for INFJs – roles as counselors, psychologists, doctors, life coaches and spiritual guides are all attractive options.

Yes - that was one of the things that really hit home. About half of my clients would tell you I guide them through their problems other than fitness as well. Intuition, cause and effect have always been pretty easy for me. A couple tell me they'd come just for the conversation (that isn't happening - LOL)

Old 01-06-2018, 01:32 PM

Is the test in the PDF they ask you to download? Sort of confused.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 01-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Is the test in the PDF they ask you to download? Sort of confused.
I didn't see or take a test on the page that I linked - but I did just take this free one and it came out pretty darn close.....

https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Old 01-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I just re-did mine, and it came out to INTP compared to INFP about ten years ago. It includes many careers which I would have preferred to the one I actually practiced for 30+ years. The single letter difference (T vs F) signifies briefly that I base decisions less on other peoples' feelings now (as a retiree) then I would have ten years ago as a Special Education Teacher. Makes sense to me....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-06-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:12 PM

I did a lot of those kinds of tests when I did my MBA. Turns out I'm exactly where I should be ... in IT.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I did a lot of those kinds of tests when I did my MBA. Turns out I'm exactly where I should be ... in IT.
Funny - in the 70's here in the states there were these SIGI(?) tests that you took to help you decide what you should do. My friends all got a chuckle when it came out state trooper or FBI agent. Nah - I'll pass

Nothing against those that do that work, just NOT for me!

Old 01-06-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post

Ha! I went from working at a car dealership (IT and marketing) to being a licensed drug and alcohol addiction counselor! Man, do I agree with that paragraph!
2005 Alvarez AJ-60S/12 NAT
2005 Aria Sinsonido AS-100S
2004/5 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Series (MIM)
1988 Fender F-210S
... and because I love all my children equally:
1974 Tiesco “Strat”
1971 Ronda made for Paul A. Schmitt Music Co.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:25 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbe View Post
Ha! I went from working at a car dealership (IT and marketing) to being a licensed drug and alcohol addiction counselor! Man, do I agree with that paragraph!
I lasted about a year in car sales way back in the day, even selling Honda's (I've never owned anything else so it was a pretty safe bet) Not for me either. WAY too many hours for too little pay and an arrogant dealer principal that I was continually butting heads with.

I'm glad I wasn't tied to marriage/mortgage/kids in my 20's and 30's - because if something didn't feel right, I left a vapor trail behind

Old 01-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I've also taken it several times, the first in a graduate school class on leadership development. It's a good tool, especially the full version instead of the shortened one.

There are lots of books out on it. The one I remember was called, Please Understand Me. I think it has been updated into a second version.

I'm an INTJ with 3 of the factors very strong and one much closer to the borderline. It's an interesting study... M-B made it clear that the classifications were not value-laden. We took it as an aide to learning about our strengths and weaknesses as leaders and it can certainly be helpful.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:49 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I've also taken it several times, the first in a graduate school class on leadership development. It's a good tool, especially the full version instead of the shortened one.

There are lots of books out on it. The one I remember was called, Please Understand Me. I think it has been updated into a second version.

I'm an INTJ with 3 of the factors very strong and one much closer to the borderline. It's an interesting study... M-B made it clear that the classifications were not value-laden. We took it as an aide to learning about our strengths and weaknesses as leaders and it can certainly be helpful.
I'm assuming the actual M-B tests are much more specific. The way some of the questions were worded on that short one I took could go one way or the other, given different circumstances.

Maybe I'll do the real one before golf/cycling season gets here, while I'm a prisoner of the inside world.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I'm assuming the actual M-B tests are much more specific. The way some of the questions were worded on that short one I took could go one way or the other, given different circumstances.
When I took the shorter version, it came out the same for me as the longer one. It's just a little less accurate because there is less data on which to judge. Still probably a pretty good indication, especially if your scores lean significantly to one side.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic