The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2008, 09:51 AM

Default Martin Aluminum Top Guitar

I was at an open mic the other night and one of the performers was playing an aluminum top Martin. I believe it had HPL back and sides (they also offer one with cherry back and sides). With all the talk about top material and how it affects sound - I was interested to hear from the AGF community on what they think of this guitar. Have you played one? What was your impression? I am not looking to purchase one - I was just interested to hear some feedback. Thank you.
'08 Martin HD28
Old 10-31-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandarb View Post
I was at an open mic the other night and one of the performers was playing an aluminum top Martin. I believe it had HPL back and sides (they also offer one with cherry back and sides). With all the talk about top material and how it affects sound - I was interested to hear from the AGF community on what they think of this guitar. Have you played one? What was your impression? I am not looking to purchase one - I was just interested to hear some feedback. Thank you.
Well, I recently bought a Martin 000X1. I started out very skeptical and then played it. Pretty impressive sound. What can I say? It's a Martin, right? The aluminum top really doesn't appeal to me, but if I get the chance I'm going to try one out just to hear what it sounds like. Reserving my opinion 'til then, but hoping to be pleasantly surprised as I was with the X series guitars.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:09 PM

Aluminum top Martin?

< shudder >

I toured the Martin guitar factory a while back. The only section I completely ignored on purpose (eyes closed, ears coverd, walking in circles and singing la la la la la) was the area where the composite and otherwise "alternate material" guitars were being being displayed and talked about.

But I freely admit I've never played one or heard one that I know of.

Mandarb - what was YOUR impression, having heard one by a live performer?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
Aluminum top Martin?

< shudder >

I toured the Martin guitar factory a while back. The only section I completely ignored on purpose (eyes closed, ears coverd, walking in circles and singing la la la la la) was the area where the composite and otherwise "alternate material" guitars were being being displayed and talked about.

But I freely admit I've never played one or heard one that I know of.

Mandarb - what was YOUR impression, having heard one by a live performer?
I pretty much did what you did when I toured the Martin factory a couple of years ago.

I was kinda hoping to hear some other thoughts before I offered my impressions. The volume was down on the Martin a bit and I could not hear it as well as the other guitars being played at the same time. What I did hear from the Martin was....well, it sounded like tin (tough to say because I love Martins). The singer playing the Martin had a wonderful voice and I was enjoying her singing.
'08 Martin HD28

Last edited by Mandarb; 10-31-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:04 PM

Don't think i would personally like the sound,.......and for some styles of music it would be TOTALLY wrong for.

..................especially "Heavy Metal"!

2010 Gagnon Acoustic Only 15" Archtop,
with 3-D Quited Maple & Bearclaw Spruce

Classicals:
2004 Tom Humphrey Millenium
Sakazo Nakade Classical
1982 Masaru Kohno Professional, Brazilian B/S
Martin C-TSH Classical (Tom Humphrey Bridge & Shellac Top Finish!)
1988 Don Banzer 625mm Scale Classical
2008 Johnny Walker Grand Concert Cutaway & Pickup
Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 PM

I have one.

I use it almost exclusively for recording, which I do very rarely, because it's the only guitar I have with a pickup in it, and I use it kind of as a beater -- outdoors, on picnics, that kind of thing. However, it has a surprisingly good unplugged sound, too. Much much nicer than I expected it to have.

I paid about $700 for it. Obviously sound is a subjective thing, but to my ear it sounds about as good as a ~$700 small-bodied acoustic guitar should. Volume-wise it's great; tonally it is (of course) not nearly as "open" nor woody sounding as my D-28, but it's not at all bad. My neighbor has an Ovation in roughly the same price category, and my X will bury that thing by any criteria, IMHO.

If it was the only guitar I had at my disposal, I wouldn't be satisfied with it. But judged by it's own merits I can't say anything bad about it.

Last edited by Brick Pig; 10-31-2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: modified/refined the comparison to my D-28
Old 10-31-2008, 01:28 PM

Brick Pig, (excellent username BTW )do you have any photographs of this guitar? Sounds intruiging.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:37 PM

You can click here and scroll to the bottom of the page for a couple pics of me playing it:

http://www.brickpig.com/BP-Songs/originalsframe.html

But you'll get a much better look at it if you Google (images) for "Martin Alternative X".
Old 10-31-2008, 02:03 PM

I'm at the Martin plant pretty regularly and have played the aluminum topped pieces on many occasions. I worked there during the development of the HPL series of guitars and it always amazed me that Martin would actually put their logo on them, but they were aiming them at a very young entry level group of players.

The aluminum topped sound....well.....like a cheap guitar with an aluminum top. They were designed to appeal to a hard rock or alternative rock crowd and the combination of aluminum and HPL materials don't do much for any other group of players....at least those who have been exposed to all wood guitars. The whole concept was one of offering an aesthetic appeal more than a tonal one.

They're a great campfire or canoeing guitar, but their tone isn't suited for much more than those activities. They are, for all effects and purposes, an entry level Martin.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars
Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

As was stated above....shudder.....

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 10-31-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Pig View Post
You can click here and scroll to the bottom of the page for a couple pics of me playing it:

http://www.brickpig.com/BP-Songs/originalsframe.html

But you'll get a much better look at it if you Google (images) for "Martin Alternative X".
I listened to a couple of clips. I like your voice, and your playing style works.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eracer View Post
I listened to a couple of clips. I like your voice, and your playing style works.
Thanks. I don't want to hijack the thread, but the Alt. X was used on "Back To The Airplanes," "I Love Girls," and all of the live recordings down at the bottom of the page.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:51 PM

I have a cousin of the aluminum top- a Martin Graphite II- OO body cutaway, HPL back and sides, on board electronics and a woven matrix "graphite" top- which I am assuming is carbon fiber of some sort.
It's tough as nails
loud enough with new strings on it
has better acoustic sound that I had hoped- but it's no D28- not for $700, not with a 3.5" deep OO body,

Plug it in and you can get all the volume you want, tone too if you have the right effects.

Good for gigs where beer is spilled/thrown, campfires, boating, and it's an ideal couch guitar.

I am not in the aimed for group of young, trendy, entry level buyers, but I think I'll keep it anyway.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:30 PM

I've actually played a number of the aluminum-top Martins, about half a dozen or so (though I don't know why I've played more than two, since the only thing that's made any of them sound any different than any other one has been the condition of the strings.)

Kevin's perception of them sounds about right.

I have had some fun playing single line leads on them, especially up the neck. You can get a sort of gypsy jazz guitar sound out of them if you have good control over your lefthand tremelo.

But as a rhythm guitar, naw, they don't do a lot for me.

It's still kind of cool that Martin would come out with them.

Incidentally, the 000X-1 can be a great-sounding guitar, if it's got a good top on it. Solid spruce top, great body shape, stiff sides, reflective back: it works. It's not going to ever sound like a pre-war 000-28, but it can be very, very nice.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-03-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gallagher View Post
I'm at the Martin plant pretty regularly and have played the aluminum topped pieces on many occasions. I worked there during the development of the HPL series of guitars and it always amazed me that Martin would actually put their logo on them, but they were aiming them at a very young entry level group of players.

The aluminum topped sound....well.....like a cheap guitar with an aluminum top. They were designed to appeal to a hard rock or alternative rock crowd and the combination of aluminum and HPL materials don't do much for any other group of players....at least those who have been exposed to all wood guitars. The whole concept was one of offering an aesthetic appeal more than a tonal one.

They're a great campfire or canoeing guitar, but their tone isn't suited for much more than those activities. They are, for all effects and purposes, an entry level Martin.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars
Yeah, I had the impression that people would by this guitar more for looks than tone. Like you said - entry level Martin and it has a definite appeal for certain types of rock music.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.
'08 Martin HD28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion