The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 08:45 PM

Default New String Technology?

Hey all, I've been away from here for a good while, long story.

I picked up a Guild OM-120. Since I've been out of the loop, I was wondering if there has been any technology upgrades when it comes to strings?

Anything new out there for an all mahogany OM?

TIA

Lee
Old 03-16-2018, 09:49 PM

Nickel Bronze has made a bit of a resurgence. Try Martin Monels or D'adarrio NB's
Old 03-16-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
Try Martin Monels or D'adarrio NB's
Yep, in that order too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-17-2018, 08:57 AM

Martin Retro Monels...end of story.
But seriously folks, a lot of people like the D'Addario NB's.
Probably depends on the guitar and your ears.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-17-2018, 09:21 AM

The metallurgy hasn't left an impression on me like the Santa Cruz and Siminoff efforts for more balanced strings however you want to digest that.

My first trial of the Santa Cruz strings has me very pleased overall. At first it was just liking the way the guitar behaved but I also like the way individual strings don't stand out as much as with some sets. Now I realize they still have same tone well into a period where conventional strings would have been changed.

These strings also give you feel that's more like round core strings. The high E and B are a bit easier to bend with mid-neck+ playing.

If they have a down side it might be a tiny bit less cut or ring at a noisy jam. Thing is, that tone is pleasure if you're outside of that scenario.

Siminoff's version of the strings are not treaded and less money. I have not yet tried them.

Full disclosure: I've mostly liked round core strings so maybe I'm an old string technology fan to begin with.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info so far.

I will use the EXPs that come with it until they need changed.

This is what I already have in my string stock; a set of Martin Monels, GHS Silk and Bronze, Ernie Ball Earthwood PB Alloy, GHS Cyogenic PB.

With an all hog OM, I know the Montels will work well, but I'm wondering if the silk and bronze might be too mellow for an all hog?

Opinions?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:54 AM

Ernie Ball doesn't seem to get any love around here, but I think their new Paradigm strings are a big technological improvement.

They've extended the life of these coated strings to be at least as long as Elixirs, without feeling (or sounding, I've heard... I can't hear a difference) like a coated string at all. They also claim to be extremely break-resistant. I can't speak to that—I've never broken one, but I've never tried.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
Ernie Ball doesn't seem to get any love around here, but I think their new Paradigm strings are a big technological improvement.

They've extended the life of these coated strings to be at least as long as Elixirs, without feeling (or sounding, I've heard... I can't hear a difference) like a coated string at all. They also claim to be extremely break-resistant. I can't speak to that—I've never broken one, but I've never tried.
Thanks Noodle. I have never broken one except once when I was changing. The EB was strictly an experiment, so it was like a 'blind buy'!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

The Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings worked well on my guitars (Taylor GS and GO). They tuned up well and stayed in tune as well. I think that they do what they are advertised to do.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 03-17-2018, 12:15 PM

Now for the controversial question with a preface.

I've learned that string longevity depends on:

1. Type of play being played on the guitar.

2. Frequency of the guitar being played.

3. Skin chemistry.

4. Personal preference based upon ear sound and preferring the new string sound leading to changing them often.

Taking all of that into consideration, what does the community prefer from the following scenario?

Cheaper strings, changing more often, or more expensive changing them less (assuming you are not the one who just enjoys the activity of changing them.)?
Old 03-17-2018, 12:47 PM

Given that choice I'd go for more expensive strings and changing less. I don't have any problem changing strings, but it's not something I long to do, either.

But realistically, the choice may not be yours to make. You're probably going to find a favorite string and then you'll change them as the need dictates.

Fortunately for me, on my Martin the Retro's are my favorite - and they last a long time. It seems Straight Up Strings work better on my Lowden (more expensive, but what can you do).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Given that choice I'd go for more expensive strings and changing less. I don't have any problem changing strings, but it's not something I long to do, either.

But realistically, the choice may not be yours to make. You're probably going to find a favorite string and then you'll change them as the need dictates.

Fortunately for me, on my Martin the Retro's are my favorite - and they last a long time. It seems Straight Up Strings work better on my Lowden (more expensive, but what can you do).
I don't care for the 'bright' sound but that's one of the reasons I decided to go with the all hog!

Outside of that, I'm one who is just fine using strings that last a long time!
Old 03-17-2018, 02:36 PM

In my experience, nothing lasts longer than Elixir or Paradigm strings. They cost pretty much the same. They both sound great to me.

But Elixir strings are really slippery the first week (which I can't stand), and the Paradigms aren't. But the Elixirs do offer some reduction in string squeak, if that's a concern.

P.S. I am DEFINITELY in the more expensive/fewer string changes camp.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post

I'm wondering if the silk and bronze might be too mellow for an all hog?

Opinions?
I have them on a smaller body rosewood guitar at the moment.
Pleasantly surprised.
I thought they'd be similar to Silk & Steel but they're actually more like PB .. but warmer.
I don't know how long they last.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-18-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post
Now for the controversial question with a preface.

I've learned that string longevity depends on:

1. Type of play being played on the guitar.

2. Frequency of the guitar being played.

3. Skin chemistry.

4. Personal preference based upon ear sound and preferring the new string sound leading to changing them often.

Taking all of that into consideration, what does the community prefer from the following scenario?

Cheaper strings, changing more often, or more expensive changing them less (assuming you are not the one who just enjoys the activity of changing them.)?

I go back and forth there. It's been awhile since absolutely cheap unless DR round core strings count. The 3-12 fret feel and longevity the Santa Cruz strings have might keep me towards or at expensive for a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion