The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default anything other than steel for b & e strings?

I thought I read a post about this the other day but can't find it. Is there anything available that's mellower than steel for the unwound b and e strings? I've been enjoying playing with John Pearse Phosphor Bronze and Silk wound strings, but on my guitar the tonal contrast between the wound strings and unwound strings is more than I would like. Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 03-16-2018, 10:06 PM

I wonder if there's something that could be put under the b and e strings at the saddle to attentuate their brightness to balance better?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
I wonder if there's something that could be put under the b and e strings at the saddle to attentuate their brightness to balance better?
Perhaps something like:
http://thefiddleshop.net/88090_Bridg...Protectors.asp

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-16-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Yes, that would be worth a go.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
I thought I read a post about this the other day but can't find it. Is there anything available that's mellower than steel for the unwound b and e strings? I've been enjoying playing with John Pearse Phosphor Bronze and Silk wound strings, but on my guitar the tonal contrast between the wound strings and unwound strings is more than I would like. Thanks.

Sounds to be the same issue I have with the Thomastik-Infeld John Pearse Folk PJ116 for classical guitar, the 1 and 2 strings are a step out of character from the wound ones. The Thomastik-Infeld KR116 Flat Wounds, their being for classical guitars sounds silly when you hear them shine on a steel - they're even across the strings and expensive. They can be had for $25.20, if you find the string dealer who sells them for $28 minus a 10% discount.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I just ordered a set of GHS Contact Core Bright Bronze for my Taylor GS7, with cedar over rosewood. I have used them in the past.. but too far in the past for me to remember what their signature is. I would think that because their are no bass string wrap wires setting on the saddle, their should be less drastic tone changes between the bass and the trebles... not that I mind the incredible bass presence of the GS body with cedar/rosewood combo... just trying them out and will soon see.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)

Last edited by jemartin; 03-17-2018 at 11:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion