The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-16-2018, 11:38 AM

Default Truss rod adjustments

I thought since there have been, from time to time, many questions concerning truss rod adjustments, that I would post this to shed some direct light on the subject for those uneducated or newer guitar players. I found this today while looking for something else and thought it would be good to post it.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Very good, this should be stickied in the build and repair section.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:29 PM

Yes, as with any information it is very personal, of course. Some prefer a bit of a bow, while others will prefer a very flat neck. I prefer a bit of a bow in the fingerboard. Just remember, Lefty Lucy, Righty tighty!

In other words, if your action is buzzing perhaps you need a bit more bow in the neck, meaning your action is bit low, or your neck is too flat. If your action is too high then you might need to tighten the rod down a 1/4 turn or two. A little makes a big difference so take it slow and use caution.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:34 PM

The last sentence is pretty good. The one about breaking out the hammer and files.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:43 PM

Yes, sometimes you will have one high fret that has become raised due to low humidity or even high humidity. Then I would suggest taking it to a qualified luthier or repairman to do this work. Although I have had to gently hammer down a fret or two before.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:14 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I just got my Martin truss rod tool in the mail today, lol. I had to tweak the relief for some odd reason. Normally this guitar is rock solid but the relief increased while cased for a month while humidified.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-17-2018, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

Buzzing is not necessarily an indication that more relief is needed - it depends where the buzzing is occurring. If on the lower frets (those nearest the headstock), more relief may cure it. If the buzz is in the middle of the neck, reducing the relief, counter-intuitively perhaps, may fix it.

Action adjustments should not be attempted by relief-adjustment alone. Action is a combination of three factors - nut-slot height, neck-relief, and saddle height. If the first two are correctly set, any adjustment to action height should be achieved by adjustment to saddle-height. Although adjusting the truss-rod may result in a change in action-height, it is a by-product, not the true purpose, of relief-change. Set the nut-slot height, adjust the relief, then adjust the saddle up or down.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 03-17-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:22 AM

YES, as I said, there are many factors that's not always due to a truss rod adjustment. Personal results may vary.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair