The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-13-2018, 08:24 PM

Default "McLaren"...Must See For Racing Fans

Just watched "McLaren" on Starz and it was fantastic. The documentary follows Bruce McLaren from his early days in local New Zealand races to his spectacular success in F1, LeMans, Group 7, and Indianapolis.

One of only two people to win a Formula 1 race as a driver of a car that carried his name. Youngest ever Formula 1 winner for 44 years. His cars went 11 for 11 in the Can-Am series. Pioneer in the field of exotic material and aerodynamics. All before his untimely death at the age of 32.

Interviews and film of the people who were with him from the beginning. One testament to Bruce McLaren as a person was that his friends and family, even 40 years after his death, can barely talk about his passing without breaking down.

If you have any interest in racing, or just stories of people who accomplished great things from small beginnings, this movie is a "must see".
Old 03-15-2018, 11:07 AM

I posted something about VinWiki a while back (I don't think anyone replied), but if anyone is interested in what it's really like to own a Mclaren, I think this guy does a pretty good job describing what it's like to keep up with the maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKDGdcb6BQ
Old 03-15-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I posted something about VinWiki a while back (I don't think anyone replied), but if anyone is interested in what it's really like to own a Mclaren, I think this guy does a pretty good job describing what it's like to keep up with the maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKDGdcb6BQ
The guy comes off to me like a dope. What did he think he was getting?

Saw an interview once with a guy that owns Mario Andretti's Lotus John Player Special that he won the F1 championship with. He said for every 1 hour on the track, he would have 100 hours of maintenance.

Bruce McLaren had no formal engineering education but could design and build world championship cars. His early ones were built in a dirt floor garage. Today's McLaren Formula 1 cars probably need millions of dollars of maintenance every two weeks during the season.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Just watched "McLaren" on Starz and it was fantastic. The documentary follows Bruce McLaren from his early days in local New Zealand races to his spectacular success in F1, LeMans, Group 7, and Indianapolis.

One of only two people to win a Formula 1 race as a driver of a car that carried his name. Youngest ever Formula 1 winner for 44 years. His cars went 11 for 11 in the Can-Am series. Pioneer in the field of exotic material and aerodynamics. All before his untimely death at the age of 32.

Interviews and film of the people who were with him from the beginning. One testament to Bruce McLaren as a person was that his friends and family, even 40 years after his death, can barely talk about his passing without breaking down.

If you have any interest in racing, or just stories of people who accomplished great things from small beginnings, this movie is a "must see".
Trailer looks interesting.

Just the other nite I watched an Amazon Prime Docu-series , called "Grand Prix Driver" this first one is about the problems Mclaren had been having recently with the Honda engine

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-15-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Trailer looks interesting.

Just the other nite I watched an Amazon Prime Docu-series , called "Grand Prix Driver" this first one is about the problems Mclaren had been having recently with the Honda engine

Somewhat ironic that McLaren's 1st formula 1 car was equipped with an underperforming Ford Indy Car engine and their huge success came when they partnered with Honda.

The Can-Am cars never had such woes as the aluminum block 8.8 liter Chevrolet engine was a monster.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Somewhat ironic that McLaren's 1st formula 1 car was equipped with an underperforming Ford Indy Car engine and their huge success came when they partnered with Honda.

The Can-Am cars never had such woes as the aluminum block 8.8 liter Chevrolet engine was a monster.
The slings and arrows of F1, apparently they are dropping Honda and going with Renault for 2018 ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 03-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The slings and arrows of F1, apparently they are dropping Honda and going with Renault for 2018 ?
Yes, Renault this year. Based on pre-season testing, not a lot of room for optimism.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:22 PM

More irony as the Honda has proved quite reliable in the Torro Rosso whilst McLaren suffered continued woes in testing.

I do hope Mclaren can get back to where they belong.

YouTube
Old 03-15-2018, 03:52 PM

Default Friend in Colorado just got this beauty! Mclaren lives ;)

Old 03-15-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Many years ago I went to a 'speed event' staged at a small country airfield.
Nice wide runway, cars ran down a measured length similar to drag racing.
A McLaren Can-Am car did a solo run.
Easily the most powerful car I've ever seen in my life.
Fish tailed the entire length through every gear change.
The earth moved.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-15-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Many years ago I went to a 'speed event' staged at a small country airfield.
Nice wide runway, cars ran down a measured length similar to drag racing.
A McLaren Can-Am car did a solo run.
Easily the most powerful car I've ever seen in my life.
Fish tailed the entire length through every gear change.
The earth moved.
The rules for that series were simple. No rules. No limit on displacement or configuration.

My father worked for Reynold's Aluminum in Richmond, VA. He called me one day to come over to their campus as McLaren and Hulme, along with a couple of Mk 8 cars were there. Reynold's was a big sponsor and helped develop the engines.

A friend and I went over and while we looked at the cars in the lobby, McLaren and Hulme came by and we got to meet them.

When my Dad got home that night, he told us we left too early. In the afternoon, they closed off both ends of the 3/4 mile driveway and they were running the cars up and down the property. My father said windows were shaking 100yds away from the drive.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
The guy comes off to me like a dope. What did he think he was getting?

Saw an interview once with a guy that owns Mario Andretti's Lotus John Player Special that he won the F1 championship with. He said for every 1 hour on the track, he would have 100 hours of maintenance.

I don't think the guy is a dope; I honestly think he DIDN'T know what he was getting.

I'm way too much of a country boy to ever understand the appeal of any of this, but I do find it interesting. People sure do funny things with their money.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I don't think the guy is a dope; I honestly think he DIDN'T know what he was getting.

I'm way too much of a country boy to ever understand the appeal of any of this, but I do find it interesting. People sure do funny things with their money.
He did mention the previous owner paid $250,000 for the paint job. Who buys a McLaren F1 and worries about the color?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes people do indeed do funny things with their money. Perusing this forum and noting some of the guitar lists makes that fairly clear

And I completely understand not having the desire to spend money on better performance. And while I really like high performance auto's , I personally would not spend the money for a Mclaren or a multi high dollar guitar collection for that matter .

But being a country boy myself (whatever that actually means ) personally I don't think has much to with understanding the appeal of "this". or not.
Some of the good ole' boys I grew up with were always tinkering with and spending all their money on their muscle cars or pickups, to eek yet more performance out of them.
Because "this" is the quest for performance, and is not qualified by budget dollar amount. It is fairly irrelevant to the appeal itself , weather you spend $1,000 or $100,000, the quest is the quest.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic