The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Default Bluetooth humidity monitors

Living in an area where indoor humidity usually stays between 40-50%, I don't have to worry too much. But lately it has been pretty cold (nights in the high 20's), and my indoor humidity has dropped into the 20-30 range. I had a couple of the d'addario packs around and started using them, and quickly did the baggies with sponges in them trick with my other guitars. So far, so good. But it has got me thinking about the Bluetooth connected hygrometers made to use in guitar cases. Taylorsense is the most expensive option, would only work for three of my guitars, and has to be installed in the guitar. Music nomad, planet waves, and d' addario all make ones that run from one to two thirds the price and just go inside the case, so you do have the option easily moving them, and they can be used with any guitar.

I'd like to hear others' experiences with any of these. The extra features Taylorsense offers really aren't important enough to me to justify the added cost, and I have guitars that either aren't Taylors or don't have the Es 2 or Es nylon system.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 02-21-2018, 12:15 PM

Default Wrong sub forum

Oops, the thread above got posted in this sub forum by mistake. If an administrator would kindly to move it to the general forum, that would be great! Thanks!

2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2018 Loar LH 301t
Old 03-04-2018, 07:09 AM

I live in a drafty old farmhouse with wood and forced air heat. It gets super cold and dry here. I have good instruments (Gibson, Gretsch, Deering) which I rely on for gigging and are my primary means of personal entertainment. I'd be lost without a good guitar or banjo. So I am 100 % the person who has to worry about humidity. But heres the thing. I dont worry. I put two plastic containers with a damp sponge i each case. Never had a problem.

I saw an add for one of these web enabled systems in the April 18 AG magazine. Why? Yea..I guess its data and more convenient than a hydrometer in your case..but still. The ad implies you can check humiditry from anywhere...the majority of the time and places you can do absolutely nothing about it but worry. You guitar is crying out for water but its in Michigan and youre on the beach in Miami..or at work..or visiting your Aunt Myrtle..its just another piece of electronic noise demanding attention.

Use an instrument humidifier of some variety and have faith it will work. Thats all the mental investment i'm personally prepared to expend.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:25 PM

I've pretty much reached the same conclusion. I do have a small thermometer/hygrometer to monitor room humidity. If that gets to a worrisome level, I pop it in guitar cases. It would be more convenient to have a couple more, and I will probably add some. I've used the Planet waves system during dry periods for years, with no problem. But now, I have a couple of gs minis and a taylor 200 series, all of which came with the "hard" gigbag rather than a hard shell case. Not surprisingly, I've found that neither the Planet Waves system or damp sponges do much to keep the humidity up in these cases. I've actually put these guitars in the bathroom after showering. The humidity does stay up for several hours and hopefully has counteracted the dryness they are exposed to otherwise. There is no obvious damage. Granted, they are not expensive guitars and they do have laminate b/s, but I like them, and they do have solid tops. I think the long term solution is to buy hard shell cases for use during extremely dry periods. I think this will be a better investment than fancy Bluetooth monitors.

2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2018 Loar LH 301t

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write