The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-26-2015, 06:41 PM

Default Reso String Recommendation, Please

Yes - it's the proverbial string question... And yes, I've looked on line. But why not take advantage of all the experience here when you can?

I have a new steel body biscuit bridge reso guitar equipped with a P-90. It is set up with a fairly low action (at my request) for fingerstyle country blues guitar (I have another guitar I play slide on).

I'm wondering if anyone can share their experience(s) with the strings used on their reso guitars.... Especially if you use yours similar to how I plan to use mine.

String brand / type / gauge info will be most appreciated. Right now I'm leaning toward a "Medium / Light" set of phoso bronze... but I'm open to any / all suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any / all info that can be provided.

Peace,
Will
Old 10-27-2015, 01:54 AM

I've been using GHS "white bronze" , mediums on my NRP single cone. I suspect the martin retros could be good I'm going to try them next. I like "nickle-ish" strings on it.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-27-2015, 02:47 AM
Charter Member

Well, you have an acoustic reso guitar, made to be loud acoustically, and then you have some sort of pick-up on it turning it into an electric guitar.

For acoustic - Medium gauge PB strings plus a heavier - 15 or 17 on the first.

For playing as an electric guitar - I have no idea - obviously a ferrous composition of some sort - try Newtone reso strings.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

+1 on the GHS White Bronze.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:09 AM

Any of the pure nickels in whatever gauge you want are the go to for many with pickups on their resos. In fact they are the go to for many on non-pickup equipped resos for their mellowness. I use them on my solidbody nationals. One of them has lollar tele neck pickup and the other has a P-90. But whether or not you enjoy the unplugged sound out of your guitar will be a question only you can answer.

I'd pick up one set of what's been recommended so far and one set of nickel and try them both.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well, you have an acoustic reso guitar, made to be loud acoustically, and then you have some sort of pick-up on it turning it into an electric guitar.

For acoustic - Medium gauge PB strings plus a heavier - 15 or 17 on the first.

For playing as an electric guitar - I have no idea - obviously a ferrous composition of some sort - try Newtone reso strings.
I'll echo what Silly Moustache said!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:41 AM

Thanks everyone - the replies thus far have been most appreciated!
Old 10-27-2015, 02:55 PM

Martin Monels are the best I've heard for my '36 Style O and '31 Triolian. My older (wood bodied Triolian) doesn't like them, but they sound better than the John Pearse nickel strings I used on those two guitars prior to the Monels becoming available.
I use 12s on the O and 13s on the Triolian. Never found the need to go any heavier than 13s on a guitar that I play slide on.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone Head View Post
Martin Monels are the best I've heard for my '36 Style O and '31 Triolian. My older (wood bodied Triolian) doesn't like them, but they sound better than the John Pearse nickel strings I used on those two guitars prior to the Monels becoming available.
I use 12s on the O and 13s on the Triolian. Never found the need to go any heavier than 13s on a guitar that I play slide on.

Thanks - I've got a Medium / Light set of those (the LJ Specials) that I plan to try on it. I know the sound will change quite a bit - but it's certainly worth a try.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:38 PM

I typically play fingerstyle or slack key on my National Style 1 tricone.

I have been very happy with John Pearse Medilum Phospher Bronze strings. Have been thinking of using Medium Lights (or Light Mediums ?!) due to some hand issues, though I suspect that will make the reso a bit "quieter."

Best of luck !!

Curtis
Old 10-28-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
I typically play fingerstyle or slack key on my National Style 1 tricone.

I have been very happy with John Pearse Medilum Phospher Bronze strings. Have been thinking of using Medium Lights (or Light Mediums ?!) due to some hand issues, though I suspect that will make the reso a bit "quieter."

Best of luck !!

Curtis
Sounds like a good suggestion - thanks!
Old 10-30-2015, 02:48 AM

I've just put a set of Elixir resonator 16-56 strings on my Continental tricone and they sound good, nice and tight. Much nicer than the strings that came with guitar, Martin Martin MSP4200 SP 13-56.

Newtone Michael Messer National Guitar strings are often recommended by players, but I find them fiddly to install (you can't cut the string to size before you tune them or they unravel).
Old 10-30-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utspann View Post
Newtone Michael Messer National Guitar strings are often recommended by players, but I find them fiddly to install (you can't cut the string to size before you tune them or they unravel).
Every player of squareneck vintage nationals that I have actually met in person (as opposed to internet guitar jockeys) swears by them. They are nice. But not worth the hassle of acquiring them for me as I can buy Daddario reso sets locally right near a place my family eats at regularly. I need strings, I can just walk in and get them as we walk back to the car
Old 10-30-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utspann View Post
I've just put a set of Elixir resonator 16-56 strings on my Continental tricone and they sound good, nice and tight. Much nicer than the strings that came with guitar, Martin Martin MSP4200 SP 13-56.

I'm wondering if you could put a slight bend in them (just ahead of the cut point) first so that wouldn't happen?
Old 10-30-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone Head View Post
I echo this as well. I've been using Martin Retros 12s for about a year now. I also mostly play fingerstyle using a National Delphi. I love the sound of the Monels on this guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments