The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-14-2015, 11:40 PM

Question Is a $200. mandolin a possibility?

My son has played guitar for 30 something years, and has a degree in music. He loves guitars and other fretted/stringed instruments, has ukes, a Cuban tres, a baritone, an Andean charango...you get the picture. But he doesn't have a mandolin, and now he's been playing violin so that he can help his daughter with her violin practice, and I thought it would be fun to get him a mando for Christmas. I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred, though. Is that even a possibility? I was thinking eBay. But what do I look out for?
Old 10-15-2015, 12:36 AM

I've a $99 mandolin. A Rover from MF.

Sounds just like a $98 mandolin.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 10-15-2015, 06:08 AM

Kentucky KM-150

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 10-15-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
I've a $99 mandolin. A Rover from MF.

Sounds just like a $98 mandolin.
Ditto. Double ditto! (although mine's a Washburn).

If your son has som many instruments (and no doubt some are very good quality), then a low budget mando won't impress him. Give him a gift certificate to Sweetwater or somewhere similar.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-15-2015, 07:16 AM

I bought one of those Fender "kits" a couple of years ago. Chinese-made, laminate A-style mandolin. It's not bad at all... Certainly up to duty as an "entry level" instrument.

You might need to tweak the action a bit, but these have adjustable bridges.....
Old 10-15-2015, 12:31 PM

We all know the answer to these questions. If they are structurally true to begin with, with a good setup you can learn to play on a cheap import instrument, be it a uke, mando, banjo, reso, flattop, as well as you can on a much more expensive one.

But it will never sound or respond like a nice one. It's cool to make that decision for yourself. It's not cool to make it for someone else without a little conversation first.

One of the first things my inlaws gave me 25 years ago now was a swiss army knife. A chinese "swiss" army knife that eventually fell apart sitting in the drawer it never left! My father in law's hobby was woodworking. He knew better. For another $15 it could have been the real deal, and I'd still be using it today unless I carried it so much the odds caught up with me one day and I lost it. We were never close and he died 10 or so years ago. If we had been close, at one point I would have asked "Dude... You know blades. You saw I carried Spydercos which indicates I know a little about blades. What were you thinking?"
Old 10-15-2015, 12:43 PM

I have one of those laminated FM-100 mandolin packs from Fender. It took a bit of work to get it set up well, but it plays fine with a consistent sound and it stays in tune pretty well. If I were a serious student even of beginning level I could wish for something a little nicer, but for occasional dabbling it's fine. If I were shopping for one for myself my choice would have been to spend a couple hundred more for one but this was given to me completely by surprise and I was thrilled to receive it and still enjoy it.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:22 PM

The Kentucky KM-150 used, is as close to a decent $200 mando as I've played.

It is just under $300 new and there's seconds sometimes on Ebay. That is what I started out on about 15 years ago or so.

On the other hand, if you hit the lottery prior to buying his present, Elderly has a 1924 Gibson F-5 for a measley $165,000.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post

It is just under $300 new and there's seconds sometimes on Ebay. That is what I started out on about 15 years ago or so.

On the other hand, if you hit the lottery prior to buying his present, Elderly has a 1924 Gibson F-5 for a measley $165,000.

hahaha! If I did hit the lottery, I doubt I'd spend that much on a mandolin anyway. He can try to hit the lottery his own **** self!
Thanks Dave, I will look for the Kentucky KM-150.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post

I think Daves Guitars in LaCrosse has one for $225,000.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 10-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Eastman always has a sale on their models around the holidays. Check with a dealer who sells a lot of them, such as the Mandolin Store or Folk Musician. You can get a pretty good deal on a better model. Might be a bit more than $200, but at least it will be quite playable. You might also try the Mandolin Cafe classifieds.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

check TheMandolinStore. They send them out with a good setup as well, all you have to do is raise or lower the saddle height to personal preference. sometimes they have used or trade-ins.

a well established shop with a high degree of positive feedback on the MandolinCafe

http://themandolinstore.com/product-...yle-mandolins/
Old 10-15-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myanocsk View Post
Eastman always has a sale on their models around the holidays. Check with a dealer who sells a lot of them, such as the Mandolin Store or Folk Musician. You can get a pretty good deal on a better model. Might be a bit more than $200, but at least it will be quite playable. You might also try the Mandolin Cafe classifieds.
Thank you Myanocsk, very helpful!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
check TheMandolinStore. They send them out with a good setup as well, all you have to do is raise or lower the saddle height to personal preference. sometimes they have used or trade-ins.

a well established shop with a high degree of positive feedback on the MandolinCafe

http://themandolinstore.com/product-...yle-mandolins/
That's 2 recs for TheMandolinStore. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDadgad View Post
Kentucky KM-150
I agree with this. I have a Kentucky KM150S - the S means solid wood, I believe). Brand new they run close to $300, but I bought mine used for $185. It's a good quality, nice-sounding mandolin that is great as a first mandolin. I've had mine for about 7 years, and I'd like to get something better now that I'm a better player, but this KM150S is still fine. Kentucky has a good reputation for good quality instruments. I can recommend this as a good first instrument.

Jack

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments