The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-24-2015, 05:29 PM

Default Screw won't go completely into the cover plate

I have a cheap tricone resonator, which had a very high action. I didn't want to take it to a tech, as it cost so little. The truss rod didn't need adjusting so I took off the cover plate and sanded down the saddle. The action's fine now, but I can't get one of the screws fully into the cover plate. Will a tech be able to make an adjustment/repair the thread?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:14 PM

Doesn't matter if it's a guitar, a car, or a piece of furniture. If when you go to reassemble one of the screws doesn't go in right, and you're relatively certain you didn't put it in crooked and strip it, try it in different locations before panicking.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:55 AM

Don't panic!

I did a similar thing with a budget resonator I had and when I went to put the cover plate on one of the screws did not tighten back in. I left the screw out intending to either get a bigger screw or buy a tool to rebore the hole. Never got around to my fix it task but the reso was fine. The many other screws kept the cover plate in place and secured it from buzzing.

Curtis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments