The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-01-2015, 01:08 PM

Default How to hold a Uke?

I'm a beginner and I start by placing the neck of the instrument in the crook between my thumb and index finger which means when I play, my palm ends up supporting the neck.

This is obviously bad form for guitar playing (which I am also a beginner), but for the guitar I use a strap which helps me maintain 'correct' form.

Is this 'acceptable' form for playing the ukulele? If not, any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2015, 01:51 PM

Whatever works for you! Flat of the strumming forearm on the bout allows you to move your left hand on the neck.
Some players will use a round-the-neck strap (like used with a sax), that then goes behind the uke, then around the bottom and hooks into the soundhole. Of course this doesn't hold the uke securely- you still need to keep it from tilting forward, so need to keep at least one hand on it.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-01-2015, 04:56 PM

Watch the wizards. YouTube is a treasure trove of videos of the world's most accomplished ukulele players; do take advantage of it!

Some players I would especially recommend studying are the late John King, James Hill, Ohta-San and Herb Ohta, Jr., Jake Shimabukuro, the late Bill Tapia, Taimane Gardner, Brittni Paiva, Da 'Ukulele Boyz (Peter deAquino and Garrett Probst) and Ledward Kaapana. The differences between these players are profound, both musically and physically. Some use straps, some don't.

Ultimately, you and only you will have to figure out what works best for you.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:14 PM

I go to church with this dude and he's in his 70s. He's played his old Martin uke for decades, always wearing a v-neck sweater. I asked to look at his uke and it had two strips of velcro on the back.

I don't play uke, just telling a true story.

f-d
Old 12-02-2015, 08:15 AM

Here's an example of the strap I mentioned: http://www.westmusic.com/p/kala-k-cs...ap-blue-355037

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-02-2015, 11:18 AM

Thank you!!!

As always, I can count on you forum members for good advice!

Just last night I was practicing Jingle Bells and the version I have has a transition from C to D7 which should be easy, because you already have your third finger on the third fret of the 1st string and then just need to barre the 2nd fret, but my palm was in the way! I found that if I just anticipate the change and use my thumb to elevate the neck a bit I can make the change!

Thanks again for the tips!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:59 AM

For soprano and concert ukuleles, I just brace them with the forearm of my strumming arm. For tenor uke, I add strap buttons and use a light-duty strap.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:04 PM

It's definitely my second instrument, so take this with a grain of salt. In actual practice it definitely feels like my first "Point of Control" is my fretting hand, just like you experience. My picking forearm holding the instrument against my body is definitely secondary, and is not at all solid and secure. Regardless of whether it's my roundback or flatback instrument.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:52 AM

I wouldn't recommend using your fretting hand to support the Uke.

I have had no luck with supporting the Uke in the crook of my strumming arm, for 2, um, anatomical reasons. Instead, I use a Kiwaya soundhole hook strap on my smaller ukes (http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com/pro...ole-hook-strap), and strap buttons and a guitar-style strap on my tenors. I use a mandolin strap tied to the pot hooks for my banjolele.

As noted, you have to be careful with the soundhole hook -- if you let go of the Uke, it will flip over and fall. Yes, I know this from experience. You also have to be comfortable with the idea of the hook touching your finish. Some folks worry about the hook affecting the top itself, but it never hurt Willie Nelson's guitar

Other ukulele players have developed holding solutions that require no change to your instrument, like the Uke Leash and the Möbius strap.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I'm a beginner and I start by placing the neck of the instrument in the crook between my thumb and index finger which means when I play, my palm ends up supporting the neck.

This is obviously bad form for guitar playing (which I am also a beginner), but for the guitar I use a strap which helps me maintain 'correct' form.

Is this 'acceptable' form for playing the ukulele? If not, any suggestions?

Thanks
I like leashes because they keep the slippery little rascles from getting dropped. Somehow between the fretting hand and forearm of the strumming hand my ukes stay in place for me. The only advice I have to add is this: whatever you settle on that works for you, make sure the back has freedom to vibrate. You can choke hold a guitar and possibly not even notice a difference. Strangle a uke and you will for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments