The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-14-2023, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Default A tale of two Strats

So, as luck would have it, I have come into the possession of two strat copies. Both of which were traded for, one new and one used (but like new). My original intention was to sell the one I like least, but so far I just can't "go there" as both are a blast to play. Now these are not expensive guitars. I had aan American Professional strat for a while that I never bonded with. These two just have something about them that I like.

The first of the two is a Sterling Cutlass HSS in rose gold color. I looooove the neck on this thing. And the color is great! I got it on sale for $380 and traded for it, so it was a steal. I am blown away by how it sounds and plays. The neck might just be the most comfortable I've felt on a strat. It's chunky, and it's round! Nice!

The second is a PRS SE Silver Sky in Stone Blue. This one was used but in like new condition. I had a time of extra cases in my attic (25!) And I traded them to a local shop for this guitar and some cash. I'm happy with the deal. This one also plays and feels great. The neck is also nice, though not as nice as the Sterling Cutlass.

I'm not a very good player but here's a YouTube short of the PRS. I'll try to make one with the Cutlass as well.

These are both great guitars and I highly recommend them to anyone interested in a nice strat copy. Like I said, I think they easily rival the American Professional I owned. BTW, the Cutlass also comes in an SSS configuration. Mine just happens to be an HSS.

https://youtube.com/shorts/e6EyTcEmv...nuYRklUMPq3aHi

20230913_224202.jpg20230914_004704.jpg

Last edited by BoneDigger; 09-17-2023 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 04:38 AM

Nice little jam BD. Sounds like you found some cool guitars!
Old 09-14-2023, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Glad you are enjoying those two strats! Fun playing video. And those guitars look great!

- Glenn
Old 09-14-2023, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Nice, like the colors, and heard lots of good things about both. I'm particularly intrigued by your comments about the neck on the Cutlass.

But, I've bought 3 Squier 40th Anniversary models (two strats and a tele) in the last couple of months and have to tame the GAS.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-14-2023, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Nice, like the colors, and heard lots of good things about both. I'm particularly intrigued by your comments about the neck on the Cutlass.

But, I've bought 3 Squier 40th Anniversary models (two strats and a tele) in the last couple of months and have to tame the GAS.
If you like a chunky round neck, you will love the Cutlass! It really is a nice feeling neck. It's also roasted maple with actual rosewood.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:58 AM

I'm like this, only with Telecasters. I explain it to myself that something in me like some Platonic Telecaster sound, and so it also likes other things that cluster around that sound.

Music, and playing it, is just weird that way.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-14-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
....These are both great guitars and I highly recommend them to anyone interested in a nice Strat copy...I think they easily rival the American Professional I owned...
IME when it comes to Strat/Tele-style instruments, more money doesn't necessarily buy you more guitar...

Use them well, often and LOUD...
Old 09-14-2023, 01:11 PM

Love the Rose Gold.....Great job.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone! I may try to make a Short for the Cutlass as well.
Old 09-14-2023, 03:03 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Well thot looks fun! Don't let 'em wear you down.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-15-2023, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

https://youtube.com/shorts/B8yl2i37G...umGYnu4yUcAlZ7

Here is the Sterling CT50 HSS Cutlass. Just a basic ballad style backing track from YouTube .

Last edited by BoneDigger; 09-17-2023 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Well thot looks fun! Don't let 'em wear you down.

Bob
Both of these guitars, despite their similarities (being strat clones) sound completely different. I'm enjoying it for sure!

Last edited by BoneDigger; 09-15-2023 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
If you like a chunky round neck, you will love the Cutlass! It really is a nice feeling neck. It's also roasted maple with actual rosewood.
Very nice! Its hard to find thicker necks these days.
Old 09-16-2023, 01:27 AM

Quote:
A tale of two Strats
I thought of my Strat and how I played two of them side by side at the music store for months before accepting that while they were "identical", one I couldn't stand to play, the other I couldn't put down.

Glad to see that you scored good on both of them, though seeing the brand names I wouldn't have expected otherwise!

On another note, my friend bought an ultra cheap strat with Rockstark on the headstock for about $100, and though I can't find anything about them, buzz free, virtually non-existent clearance and excellent playability all the way to the 22nd fret.
He was shocked when I said I liked it, and even moreso when I said I liked it better than his genuine Telecaster.

So, it looks like your enjoying, and therefor keeping both? They sure look nice, and while pink ain't my thing, I'd have no problem taking that Sterling on stage with me.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-17-2023, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
I thought of my Strat and how I played two of them side by side at the music store for months before accepting that while they were "identical", one I couldn't stand to play, the other I couldn't put down.

Glad to see that you scored good on both of them, though seeing the brand names I wouldn't have expected otherwise!

On another note, my friend bought an ultra cheap strat with Rockstark on the headstock for about $100, and though I can't find anything about them, buzz free, virtually non-existent clearance and excellent playability all the way to the 22nd fret.
He was shocked when I said I liked it, and even moreso when I said I liked it better than his genuine Telecaster.

So, it looks like your enjoying, and therefor keeping both? They sure look nice, and while pink ain't my thing, I'd have no problem taking that Sterling on stage with me.
Pink???? Pink??? No, no, no, it's Rose Gold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars