The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-06-2023, 04:45 PM

Default Let's say I was interested in purchasing a new Les Paul Modern

My thoughts swirling around in my mind:

Gibson Les Paul Modern at about $3000

Epiphone Les Paul Modern, pleked, and setup at about $1250

But the pickups and electronics in the Epiphone are not as good as a Gibson.

I don't play professionally or semi professionally, I only play for my dogs.

That Gibson is sweet, but that's a lot of money.

I probably will not hear $1700 dollars worth of difference.

I know, I'll ask the great people on AGF what they would do!

So, here we are, what would you do?
Old 09-06-2023, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

In the early 1990s, I was faced with a similar dilemma. I was primarily a home player, with a once-a-month jam session with some work colleagues.

I really wanted a semi, and I had the money for a Gibson 335 Dot - back then, around $1400-1500, IIRC.

But - there was a blonde Epiphone Sheraton II in the store, for less than half the price. In the end, I simply could not justify spending the extra on the Gibson - it had no discernible advantage (to me, at least) other than the name on the headstock. They played the same, sounded the same, and, frankly, were of equal construction and finish quality.

So, the Sheraton came home with me, and the price difference helped me buy a Peavey Classic 30 to go with it
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-06-2023, 05:32 PM

I'm not the most knowledgeable regarding Les Pauls, but I know that there's a lot of discussions admid gear-heads regarding detail differences in models from Gibson, Epiphone, and more. But that's true for other popular models of electric guitar too.

Here's a summary of my considered opinion after playing and owning a lot of electric guitars over the years (nothing collectable/custom shop and a lot of lower-end models):

Yes, electric guitars differ, but they're part of a system including amps, effects, ensemble mixtures, and of course the player. With the AGF a lot of use spend a good deal of time playing our acoustics solo in a room. which makes the guitar a bigger part of the whole thing than with electrics.

Inexpensive electric guitars make valid sounds, though they may or may not be the sounds you are looking for. The exact sounds folks hear on records include a of other equipment and expertise, and of course great players.

Modern inexpensive electrics are often reasonably durable and can be made playable with a good setup. 40-50 years ago that wasn't so.

Pickups are a large contributor to the sound of an electric, probably the largest. No, a pickup swap so that one has exactly the same model pickup as your hero or guitar you wish you could afford doesn't make exactly the same result, but the result may be a satisfying one. Again, modern inexpensive guitars often have pickups that are closer to what folks thought they needed replacement pickups for in the 20th century. I myself used to install upgraded pickups often, now not so much.

The electronics under the controls of an expensive electric guitar are not expensive to buy if you don't mind soldering yourself.

More expensive guitars can feel nicer and some folks never want to even worry or consider mods. What that's worth varies with personalities and budgets.

My current Les Paul is a satin finish model slotted even below the long-standing Gibson Studio models that I bought as the just previous Gibson management was in trouble and we selling stock at a good discount. I like the Gibson pickups in it and I love the neck. No it's not gorgeous.

I have a pair of Epi semi-hollows, a smaller body 339 with P90s and an ES-335 with humbuckers. I play them just as much as my Gibson Les Paul.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-06-2023, 06:44 PM

it's really a personal decision. $3k is a lot of dough heck $1,300 is a fair amount.

Is the Gibson LP the better guitar? I personally believe yes.

Is the Epi LP a good guitar? yes..

I've been playing for 55 years, and currently own 2 Gibson Lp Standards, along with 5 other gibsons I've had a while now. I've owned and played enough of both brands to stand by my opinion.

For me, no question, If I was on the hunt, it's a USA Gibson LP all the way.

They are lifetime guitars once you lock on the right one. They Epi's just don't slide into that role I'm my opinion.

My son plays as well. he has a well setup Epi LP, and has recently sold another one to a friend he also has 3 USA fenders 2 Ultra Tele's and an Ultra Strat, like his old man he's not shy about dropping the cash. the fenders are expensive for a fender IMHO

He plays my LPs and he insists, they are superior to his Epis, plans to sell his remaining one to help fund a Gibson.

that's my point of view. It's your decision and not a real easy one once you start seriously thinking about it.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 09-07-2023 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:45 PM

I’ve owned a Gibson Les Paul Standard for nearly 40 years, I bought it new when I was 20. It is my #1 and will never part with it.
I’d always wanted a semi-hollow but couldn’t justify the cost of a 335. So I got an Epiphone Dot, and I love it. I’ll never sell it because it plays and sounds exactly like I want it to.
My advice is to play both and decide for yourself if the cost difference is worth it.
Epiphone Dot
Old 09-06-2023, 09:47 PM

The current 50s and 60s LP Standards are good.

Kind of a dark and fat tone on my 50s Stnd with the burstbuckers so I find myself using my 335 with the t-tops a bit more than the Les Paul. The 335 is a brighter sound but has lots of humbucker snarl. Tough call but I use the 335 more than the LP.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Here is another alternative, find an older Gibson Les Paul that might not be the prettiest, might not be the best condition, but the price is good. Find a luthier or technician who is good and have him/her make it what YOU want. Then, you've got a true American made Les Paul that is set up perfectly for you. You've also got a connection with the guitar, making it special.

I once had an older Gibson Les Paul Classic 60s in traditional cherry burst, mid 90s I believe. I lusted after a new Les Paul Standard in desert burst. Traded the Classic, bought the Standard. Lamented the decision and to this day I miss that old Classic.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:09 AM

Why do you think that an Epiphone needs to be pleke'd and the electronics replaced? They don't. They are perfectly fine guitars without the silly over the top hand wringing today's gear heads do. As you can see I have 3 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul guitars and a few Epiphone electrics. They all do the job equally well. None of the Epi's need any fret work done and the electronics are fine. These days there isn't a dime's worth of difference between off the shelf pickups from China that you can buy dirt cheap and most of the crazy overpriced "boutique" pickups. It's pretty much all baloney.

Personally I would just go for a nice used Epi LP. I wouldn't go for the modern because that contour on the body where the neck meets looks to me like a potential weak area.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 09-07-2023, 07:44 AM

I'd say look for a PRS S2 McCarty 594, single cut.....it's what I did, and I have zero regrets.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:03 AM

I bought a goldtop/P-90 '60s Studio Tribute in 2011:

It sings, it screams, it purrs, it roars - if you think an LP can't do jazz, country, or surf, think again - the early-60's Slim-Taper neck feels like it was made for my hands, and the weight-relieved body (not too much heavier than some '70s SG's - somewhere in the mid- to high-sevens by my reckoning) is not only easier on my shoulder but imparts a natural resonance the full-solids don't...

With the satin finish and PRS-style exposed-edge "binding," it looks like a sweet under-the-bed '56 that was packed away when Elvis got out of the Army and hasn't seen use in the last six decades - and if you're OK with another flavor of LP tonal mojo it'll definitely set you apart from the humbucker pack...

Paid $800 for it brand-new, good examples sell today in the $1200-1400 range - more guitar than the Epis (albeit less fancy) for similar money; FWIW I've played the '50s Standard P-90 - quite frankly I find very little to justify the additional cost from a practical standpoint, and if I ever locate another goldtop/P-90 Studio as good as mine I'm grabbing it...
Old 09-07-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Why do you think that an Epiphone needs to be pleke'd and the electronics replaced? They don't. They are perfectly fine guitars without the silly over the top hand wringing today's gear heads do. As you can see I have 3 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul guitars and a few Epiphone electrics. They all do the job equally well. None of the Epi's need any fret work done and the electronics are fine. These days there isn't a dime's worth of difference between off the shelf pickups from China that you can buy dirt cheap and most of the crazy overpriced "boutique" pickups. It's pretty much all baloney.

Personally I would just go for a nice used Epi LP. I wouldn't go for the modern because that contour on the body where the neck meets looks to me like a potential weak area.
I bought a Squire Strat and needed to have my luthier work on it as soon as I got it. The frets had to be pressed in better, neck adjusted and he set it up. He still could not get all of the buzz out of it.

I would have the pleking and setup done by Sweetwater before they deliver it, to insure everything was right when I take delivery.

I wouldn't change the electronics out right away, but I have seen in several youtube videos where they complained about the lack of responsiveness in the knobs.

I also feel that if you spend a lot of money for a new guitar thinking that will insure that it arrives perfect, you may be in for a surprise. My Martin D15M proved that to me. The setup was awful and my luthier was afraid it was going to need a neck reset. I did buy it used, but it was practically brand new. It all worked out in the end, with no neck reset and the guitar plays great.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
I bought a Squire Strat and needed to have my luthier work on it as soon as I got it. The frets had to be pressed in better, neck adjusted and he set it up. He still could not get all of the buzz out of it.

I would have the pleking and setup done by Sweetwater before they deliver it, to insure everything was right when I take delivery.

I wouldn't change the electronics out right away, but I have seen in several youtube videos where they complained about the lack of responsiveness in the knobs.

I also feel that if you spend a lot of money for a new guitar thinking that will insure that it arrives perfect, you may be in for a surprise. My Martin D15M proved that to me. The setup was awful and my luthier was afraid it was going to need a neck reset. I did buy it used, but it was practically brand new. It all worked out in the end, with no neck reset and the guitar plays great.
I have a 2021 Epiphone 339. Bone stock everything. The neck is straight as an arrow and the frets are as good as any guitar I have.

I'm not sure what Squier you have, but the CV Squier guitars I have and have sold have had great fretwork. IMO a new guitar shouldn't need anything done to it or you are buying the wrong guitar.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 09-07-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I have a 2021 Epiphone 339. Bone stock everything. The neck is straight as an arrow and the frets are as good as any guitar I have.

I'm not sure what Squier you have, but the CV Squier guitars I have and have sold have had great fretwork. IMO a new guitar shouldn't need anything done to it or you are buying the wrong guitar.
a bit off topic, and I know I leaned hard on the gibson in my post but what I didn't add was I have a Sheraton pro II from 2015.

I can't say I feel shorthanded because it's not a Gibson 335.

Every time I plug that sucker in, I love it all over again

with Epiphones, they've improve from the reputatoin back 20/25 years ago.. really by a wide margin

I also have a MIK Gretsch 5422TG. amazing axe, $1k +the OHSC case...

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 09-07-2023 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:12 PM

Get what you want, but play both of the choices so your opinion is well informed
Old 09-07-2023, 02:44 PM

I would say, if you have to ask, buy the cheapest as it's not going to make any difference to you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars