The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-14-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I was at GC recently and wasn’t impressed with any of the MIM or CV models, but they had a partscaster that they said had a warmoth neck, and I just really liked that guitar. Almost enough to buy it on the spot. What did it for me was the neck. It felt like a vintage piece. Are all warmoth necks that good? I just assumed they were the same as mighty mite or all parts. This neck seemed like a cut above, even better than some original fender necks I’ve played.
Generally speaking the quality of Warmoth necks and bodies are high. I've used both with great results!
Old 08-15-2023, 03:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
sounds like a nice guitar! I'd love to have one with the 1 3/4" nut.

How are the bodies? Are they pretty straight copies of Fender or do they have their own idiosyncrasies? The body on the one I bought seemed pretty rudimentary, like maybe a home build, but who knows. It was very resonant, almost as loud has my '69 thinline.
Rolly,
Here's my Tele style build using Warmoth body and neck. In a nutshell: 1.75" nut boat-neck profile, 6100SS frets, Pete Biltoft Vintage Vibe CC single coil pickups, Ilitch Hum Cancelling system.

HE
Old 08-15-2023, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

The Warmoth necks are very good. Not cheap. But for the money, you can order up whatever you want, and it will be well executed. I have a Tele with a custom boat oar profile that I happened to find in stock.

Mitey-Mite. Second rate, IMO. Not nearly in the league of Warmoth and nothing that should go on a custom. A lame effort.

For a "standard" profile, there are many options. I have two necks that I bought just for the hell of it. One is a second peice that I bought from a builder in MI (Ebay), just because the first piece I ordered from him was so well done. The other I bought on a whim from some dude in China (Ebay) who seemed to have a cottage business going. For some reason, I was sucked in by his apparent enthusiasm and the (seemingly genuine) reviews of his craft. For 75 bucks, I just wanted to see his product. I was bored... Tiger maple. Roasted. Standard Strat specs. Matte nitro. This neck is actually superior to what I got from Warmoth. Better wood. Nice finish. Perfection in all the tricky spots where shaping and sanding can get tricky. Yes, I have shaped my own headstocks and know. Almost zero fret leveling required. Much less leveling than the Warmoth. Believe it or not.

The necks from MI are roasted quarter-sawn sugar maple. No kidding, when I was using the scroll saw (he does a blank headstock) I smelled syrup. ****. That is some HARD wood. Have your drill bits accordingly sized. Mitey-Mite feels and works like balsa in comparison.

As far as bodies, Guitar Mill in TN makes a top notch product. Their necks probably kick ***, too. Never seen one.

Last edited by jocko_nc; 08-15-2023 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko_nc View Post
The Warmoth necks are very good. Not cheap. But for the money, you can order up whatever you want, and it will be well executed. I have a Tele with a custom boat oar profile that I happened to find in stock.

Mitey-Mite. Second rate, IMO. Not nearly in the league of Warmoth and nothing that should go on a custom. A lame effort.

For a "standard" profile, there are many options. I have two necks that I bought just for the hell of it. One is a second peice that I bought from a builder in MI (Ebay), just because the first piece I ordered from him was so well done. The other I bought on a whim from some dude in China (Ebay) who seemed to have a cottage business going. For some reason, I was sucked in by his apparent enthusiasm and the (seemingly genuine) reviews of his craft. For 75 bucks, I just wanted to see his product. I was bored... Tiger maple. Roasted. Standard Strat specs. Matte nitro. This neck is actually superior to what I got from Warmoth. Better wood. Nice finish. Perfection in all the tricky spots where shaping and sanding can get tricky. Yes, I have shaped my own headstocks and know. Almost zero fret leveling required. Much less leveling than the Warmoth. Believe it or not.

The necks from MI are roasted quarter-sawn sugar maple. No kidding, when I was using the scroll saw (he does a blank headstock) I smelled syrup. ****. That is some HARD wood. Have your drill bits accordingly sized. Mitey-Mite feels and works like balsa in comparison.

As far as bodies, Guitar Mill in TN makes a top notch product. Their necks probably kick ***, too. Never seen one.
Who are the ebay builders you liked more than Warmoth?
Old 08-22-2023, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

well I got the partscaster tele with the Warmoth neck and it is really nice, especially for the money (about the same as a new Squier CV). It's got a nice profile, chunky and sort of D shaped. The nut is unlike any I've seen on a tele ...it's wider and is shaped more like an acoustic nut. It plays like butter and is a nice complement to my '69 thinline with its maple fretboard. I can really tell a difference in tone between the two. I think might even prefer the rosewood.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
well I got the partscaster tele with the Warmoth neck and it is really nice, especially for the money (about the same as a new Squier CV). It's got a nice profile, chunky and sort of D shaped. The nut is unlike any I've seen on a tele ...it's wider and is shaped more like an acoustic nut. It plays like butter and is a nice complement to my '69 thinline with its maple fretboard. I can really tell a difference in tone between the two. I think might even prefer the rosewood.
Chunky D-shaped might be Warmoth's "boatneck" profile.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-profiles
Old 08-23-2023, 11:26 AM

I have a J-style bass neck they made for me. Unfinished roasted maple, EVO Gold hypoallergenic frets, really nice. The finish work on the ends of the frets, though, was terrible. Literally drew blood the first time I slid my hand up the neck. Having a local luthier finish the fret work took ten days and $80. When I called Warmoth to address it, they said the fret work was "up to spec."

Even with all that, I'm putting together another bass and will get the neck from Warmoth. Anyway.

Couch Standards
Old 08-23-2023, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Who are the ebay builders you liked more than Warmoth?
The Ebay gentleman from China goes by

pwgo3386

as his Ebay ID. Here is a pic of the actual neck. I have not mounted it (believe I will this Fall) and have not played it. Specs seem to be what is modern Fender. I personally like the chunkier and wider spec, but this seems to match the other modern Fenders I have.

Yes, I found his material and workmanship exceptional for the money. Price was $85. $91 with China Post / USPS.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...1&d=1692823701
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-08-23 163916.jpg (34.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 08-27-2023, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Warmouth and USACustom are both top flight. All I've had for thirty years. My #1 electric is a USA Custom body and neck with Don Mare pickups and Glendale hardware. Built for less than $600 at the time, it's custom shop quality.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-29-2023, 03:49 PM

+1 on Warmouth! You do your part and whatever you put their neck on will play and intonate with near perfection.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:28 PM

Just ordered a custom poplar Fiesta Red Warmoth Tele body today. Just wanted to try one of their Warmoth bodies!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars