The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:37 AM

Default The world's worst acoustic?

So, I have a candidate. I was at my sister in law's on Saturday and saw a Fender Squire Acoustic beginner guitar package sitting in the corner of her living room next to the piano. I got a little excited and asked who was taking up guitar? She had bought it for Christmas and no one had even taken it out of the packaging yet.

I opened it up to tune it and though I had entered the twighlight zone. The B string when tuned open, would be completely off playing a chord, went back and forth then realized the nut was split and the string was way down in the neck.

The action was so hight that it was not buzzing and guitar was an absolute mess! The finish was a paint or epoxy that was very dimpled, made the back of the neck look like it was clay. The top looked like a poplar board with no grain, but it was a laminate anyway. The frets were dangerously sharp hanging off the bottom of the neck. The low E tuner was coming out of the headstock and of course the split nut I mentioned and the action was painfully high.

I am just wondering how excited a prospective player could be trying to figure out such a mess? Shame on Fender putting out such a crappy package!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:27 AM

Like lots of cheap Asian imports, the quality is really hit-or-miss. I actually picked up one of those Squire Acoustic packs for my 14 year old son the learn on. It's NOT a great guitar, or even a particularly good one, but it's not a total lemon, either. It is what it is...a cheap student model guitar.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:28 AM

Please.

Esteban. Hands down!

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 03-06-2006, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
Please.

Esteban. Hands down!
I saw a thread over on guitar notes that seemed to indicate Esteban guitars are actually getting better! I think it is how the the whole thing is sold which makes the mysterous Esteban and his product irresistable. I don't know how they could be worse than this Squire. I guess someone has a acceptable one.

I am thinking you can get a solid top guitar around $100 used, blemish or whatever. How sad to start your exploration into playing with this huge hurdle!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:58 AM

I forgot. My nephew bought a "First Act" acoustic at Target for $[cheap]. That was undoubtedly the worst thing I've ever seen that could be classified as a "guitar".

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken

Last edited by cotten; 03-06-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I forgot. My nephew bought a "First Act" acoustic at Target for $[cheap]. That was undoubtedly the worst thing I've ever seen that could be classified as a "guitar".
Yep....department store stuff is where i'd classify worst. $[cheap] gets ya about a penny worth of plastic.

14fret 0
12fret 000

Last edited by cotten; 03-06-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:49 AM

Applause by Ovation.

Enough said.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:09 PM

There are plenty of junkers for sure, but I've played some decent Jasmines, Fenders & other cheapos. The problems is it's probably more the exception than the rule. I bought my Daughter's each a First Act acoustic from Sam's Club one year and they have my vote also. Wouldn't tune up, sounded like a pillow was stuffed in the soundhole and was honestly unplayable. I can't imagine a worse guitar that isn't a plastic toy.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 03-06-2006, 04:24 PM

I was in Best Buy the other day hunting for something and came across some cheapo acoustic and electric guitars. Wow! I would never even have thought about BBY when looking for a guitar...and I still won't

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 03-06-2006, 05:51 PM

I agree with the Target Music instruments. have you seen the music section at Target? What a Joke? I can't even believe they call them musical intruments. Even Esteban would be laughing at the Targer music section
Old 03-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

i was in target the other day and walked past their "guitar" section. they had them all enshrined in this protective, hard, see through plastic like they were displaying a pre-war martin. i realize they do it to protect the merchandise, but i always pick one up if i can just to see what it is, but no longer. kind of ironic. i wonder if you asked,if a sales rep would take one out so you could try it. maybe they have an acoustic room in the back.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I forgot. My nephew bought a "First Act" acoustic at Target for $[cheap]. . That was undoubtedly the worst thing I've ever seen that could be classified as a "guitar".
I can second that. Yuk!

Last edited by cotten; 03-06-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:28 PM

The 'X' series Martins.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:30 PM
The Middle Way

MARTIN!

j/k

Guitars: Too many, but current favorite: 2006 Santa Cruz D-12

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

Blog: soundr
Old 03-06-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarman
I agree with the Target Music instruments. have you seen the music section at Target? What a Joke? I can't even believe they call them musical intruments. Even Esteban would be laughing at the Targer music section
What's worse is that it's all from the Gibson family of brands. They plaster crap like "Made to the same exacting standards as Gibson" and expect people to buy it. They also sell those crappy effects pedals.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion