The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-22-2023, 12:40 AM

Default 5/6 of my Fender Squier's strings are now buzzing!

I was gifted a new Fender Squier Bullet Stratocaster about a year ago. I paid a lot of money to have it professionally set up. I haven't played it for a couple of months, and when I just tuned it, all of its strings -- except for the B -- are buzzing. The open G string is so choked, it won't make any sound at all.

Most of my guitar time is spent on acoustics. Electrics are still mysterious to me. I've Googled the problem and watched relevant videos, but am unsure of what to do. Should I adjust the trussrod first? I don't have the money to have it looked at.

I hate asking such a novice question, but people are helpful and friendly here!

Old 08-22-2023, 02:44 AM

Has there been a major change in temp & humidity in the time since you last played it
Old 08-22-2023, 03:18 AM

Agree it could have shifted due to humidity. Bridges don't move while the neck can have forward or back bow. I do my best to keep my humidity tightly controlled. If it gets humid, stuff is sharp. If it gets a tad dry, the pitch is slightly flat.
Old 08-22-2023, 04:49 AM

I agree with the previous responses. First thing I'd do is get the guitar into a properly humidified room and let it sit for two or three days. The next thing I'd do is change the strings. Old strings can affect how a guitar feels, plays and sounds. After that... well, save your pennies for another setup.

(Not to disparage you or your guitar, but the Bullet model is Fender's absolutely lowest price model, and paying a lot of money to get one professionally set up is somewhat gilding the lily. As such, I would imagine it is much more susceptible to environmental conditions. Do you have a case for it? Once it's back to playing condition, keep it there between sessions. A case humidifier might help).

Last edited by fpuhan; 08-22-2023 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:41 AM

The truss rod on my Strat needs adjusting twice a year.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orb View Post
I was gifted a new Fender Squier Bullet Stratocaster about a year ago. I paid a lot of money to have it professionally set up. I haven't played it for a couple of months, and when I just tuned it, all of its strings -- except for the B -- are buzzing. The open G string is so choked, it won't make any sound at all.

Most of my guitar time is spent on acoustics. Electrics are still mysterious to me. I've Googled the problem and watched relevant videos, but am unsure of what to do. Should I adjust the trussrod first? I don't have the money to have it looked at.

I hate asking such a novice question, but people are helpful and friendly here!

Humidification can be problematic, but electric guitars don't have the same reaction to humidity as acoustic guitars.

With your symptom as described I'd check the neck relief first.

Since this guitar had a "set-up" then whoever did it probably corrected some slight forward bow with the truss rod. I'd put money on the neck having a bit of delayed reaction to the truss rod adjustment.

The amount of buzzing you are experiencing will most likely be the result of slight back bow of the neck. Read up on checking and adjusting the truss rod and do the adjustment yourself.

As a quick check, hold a string down to the first fret with the left hand and hold the same string down at the fret where the neck joins the body (NOT the end of the neck...). You should see a gap between the string and the 6th or 7th fret. That gap should be about the thickness of a business card. If there's no gap that's your problem.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:00 AM

I’m in the court of those who believe the neck on your guitar is badly bowed.
I have a heavy-duty metal ruler I can lay on its edge on the frets board from about the third fret up the neck and visually see what’s going on. If that baby rocks like a see-saw, I have a bad bow. If it’s only slight, it’s still still bowed but not terribly.
If instead I can see a lot of daylight between the edge of the ruler and the middle frets, I have too much relief. If it’s slight, for some folks that’s acceptable. I prefer straight as an arrow.
You can adjust the relief yourself and at least see if that helps.
If you still have issues, you’re probably needing a complete set up.
I’ve learned how to do this myself, but one needs the right tools and the confidence. The rest can be found on You Tube.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-22-2023, 11:34 AM

Thanks for your replies. I was going to adjust the truss rod until I realized that turning it requires an allen wrench larger than those that come with acoustic guitars. (The internet says 5mm. should fit.) After I get the right one, I'll try it and report back to you nice folks.

Old 08-22-2023, 12:34 PM

Yes, let us know.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-22-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orb View Post
Thanks for your replies. I was going to adjust the truss rod until I realized that turning it requires an allen wrench larger than those that come with acoustic guitars. (The internet says 5mm. should fit.) After I get the right one, I'll try it and report back to you nice folks.

Good for you! As has been noted, truss rod adjustments don't always take affect immediately. You are dealing with wood, after all. All the cautionary notes say to not turn the adjusting screw more than 1/4 turn at any time. Do it and wait a bit. A day or two, even.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars