The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-12-2023, 04:29 PM

Default G&L Placentia ASAT vs CV Telecasters

Anyone have one of the G&L Placentia Telecasters? How do they compare to the CV tele's?
Old 08-12-2023, 05:37 PM

You might find this thread interesting.

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/vi...?f=136&t=17312

If you have specific Placentia questions, that is a nice forum.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:09 PM

Default Thanks Horseflesh

Thanks for the info Horseflesh.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I had the Placentia one for a little while.

Also have a G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Alnico (had them at the same time) and recently picked up a Squier 40th Anniversary Vintage Tele in Dakota Red which is (as best I understand) essentially the same as the CV except for a few cosmetic things, e.g. aged hardware, satin finish, etc.

The Placentia was fine for what I paid for it on a Stupid Deal of the Day, but the hardware was noticeably cheaper than either the other G&L or the Squier. The neck was ok, but felt a bit cheap, I thought the pickups sounded pretty good (I had the HS Bluesboy version).

I've had the 40th Anny for a few weeks now, and I think it's about the best feeling electric I own. I also picked up a 40th Anny strat, have a Squier CV 50s Strat, a Squier Paranormal Offset tele (again, basically a CV spec) and have owned an "E serial" MIJ Strat for 20+ years, and have a beat up early 80s G&L F-100.

I think the neck on both the 40th Anny strat and tele feel great. The one on the tele is particularly well done. The satin finish feels great, and not cheap, the fret work is top notch, and slightly better than on the strat. I think that the neck pickup is slightly on the muddy side, but might just need a bit more height adjustment. It's quickly becoming about my favorite electric, and came in at just over 7lbs... I did add brass saddles, because that's what I like to see on a tele.

The 40th Anniversary stuff is great, and available cheap right now. The neck on the paranormal and the two 40th Annys feel great, the paranormal Tele also feels really nice. The one actual CV that I own is my least favorite of the bunch... as my example is particularly heavy, and the neck feels weird to me (it's just noticeably chunkier behind the 1st and 2nd frets and then gets narrow towards the middle).

Anyway, not exactly an answer to your question, but maybe helpful. CVs have been really popular for years for a reason. And i'm excited enough by the 40th Annys at current prices that I'm seriously thinking about buying another Strat to mod a bit.

At the current full market price of the Placentia, I don't think it's terribly competitive, when you can get a Squier 40th for <$300 and it's, in my opinion, a superior guitar.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

Last edited by warfrat73; 08-14-2023 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-13-2023, 02:49 PM

Default Thanks warfrat

I appreciate your response. I ordered one for $250. I guess I will check it out when it comes.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:55 PM

I would equate the G&L Placentia models with the Squier Affinity level. The Squier CV seems more comparable to the Tribute level G&Ls (in terms of fit and finish, etc)
Old 08-14-2023, 07:06 PM

I would agree that my G&L Tribute strat seems to be better made than my Squire Affinity tele. The Tribute seems to be in the same ballpark as my Squire Vintage Modified, but I don't have a CV for a direct comparison.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:40 PM

Is it me?
Why would anyone name ANY product "Placentia"?

I know this has nothing to do with the OP's question, sorry OP.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 08-14-2023, 07:44 PM

G&L is in Fullerton near where Fender started. Placentia is the name of a major street in that area. So there is logic, but if you didn't grow up that area I grant "Plancetia" is not a great sound.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:44 PM

I've always thought it was "placenta" until just now. I've always wondered why such a strange name... maybe it's like nurturing a young/beginner player?

Ok, now I see that it is entirely a different word. Hahaha.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
G&L is in Fullerton near where Fender started. Placentia is the name of a major street in that area. So there is logic, but if you didn't grow up that area I grant "Plancetia" is not a great sound.
I didn't know about the street, but it's also the name of a town right next to Fullerton ... but whoever decided on that name screwed up.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-15-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
... it's also the name of a town right next to Fullerton ... but whoever decided on that name screwed up.
Yep & yep!

Hey, it could be worse... It could be the Yorba Linda line!

https://i.imgur.com/M7vENyb.png
Old 08-15-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
Yep & yep!

Hey, it could be worse... It could be the Yorba Linda line!
Kind of reminds me of the old joke, "Good thing Lyme disease was named after where it was discovered: Lyme Connecticut. Just imagine if it had been discovered in Moose Butt, Alaska!"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars