The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM

Default NGD: Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500ME NS

I know it's a sin to do a NGD post without pics, so I'll link to a short video from last year's NAMM: VIDEO.

Just picked up a new Epi Masterbilt AJ-500 and am totally thrilled with it. I've been intrigued with the Masterbilts for a while but disappointed with their consistently horrible necks and fretwork--at least on the ones I'd had the opportunity to play. Well, I stumbled on one a few weeks ago and, surprise!, it had a perfectly straight neck and good set up, so no buzzing or dead spots. After a thorough inspection, I ended up being very impressed with the build quality. I left the store, however, convinced that I didn't need another acoustic to accompany my Taylor.

Darn it if that little slope-shouldered dread didn't stick in my brain, so I went back to the store just before Thanksgiving and it was still there, with what felt like twenty guys playing it one after the other. I left again convinced that it would sell very quickly and that I should get it out of my head. Turns out I couldn't and went back there the day after Thanksgiving and--it was still there, with 10% knocked off! After a titanic battle with myself, I left the store telling myself that I didn't really want it. I failed to convince myself, of course, and went back last night to see if it was still there. Not only was it sitting lonely in the corner of the store, but the guy helping me was willing to knock another 15% off the discounted price without me really trying much.

Got it home last night and couldn't be happier. The electronics (stereo preamp and dual pickups) are pretty darn good, and the internal tuner is very accurate. Through my Loudbox it maybe sounds 7.5/10 as good as my Taylor with K&K PWM/internal mic/preamp set up, but shoot for the money I'm not complaining. I also love the Grover gear tuners for their sensitivity and vintage looks. I was surprised that I liked the chunky neck as much as I did since it's very different from my Taylor's narrower profile. It will take some time for me to get used to fingerpicking with the Epi's narrower 1.68", though it's clear that its strength lies in stumming.

All in all I'm thrilled with this guitar. Solid spruce/mahogany, bone saddle and nut, good electronics, straight neck, and bargain price. I don't see myself getting bored with this one in the near future!

Last edited by Sombras; 12-02-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Congratulations. Sombras! The Masterbilts are pretty nice guitars. I enjoy my AJ-500M. And sounds like you got a great deal, to boot!

Where you are living in Michigan I would strongly suggest that you keep the guitar humidified during the heating season. Mine has been very sensitive to the change of seasons. Throw a moistened sponge in a perforated zip lock bag into the case if nothing else.

And enjoy!
Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 AM

Thanks, Branson. Installed a strap button last night and had the pleasure of playing it standing--actually sounded a little fuller. I'm also glad to report that my Red Bear pick sounds WAY better on it than it does on my Taylor. It's a little too bright on the 410, but perfect on the AJ-500.

Got the humidifier covered. An Oasis unit has worked well for my Taylor, so I picked up another for the Epi.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion