The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2008, 07:17 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Really casual gig

What did you do yesterday, daddy?
Oh, I mixed a couple of video pieces and a live TV show, and then did a guitar gig.

To cap off a very full day, I played a little gig last night. A friend had asked me to play at a fundraising coffee house to benefit a missions trip she is making to Tanzania. Free coffee and deserts! I had no idea how much time she wanted me to occupy or how big the crowd would be so I just decided to take things pretty casually and react to whatever I encountered. I pulled up an old set list and mused over possibilities, but oddly, didn't settle on anything except a starting number, played on classical guitar. After a full day of work I was pretty blitzed, so, of all things, I went home and crashed on the couch with a music video going. I woke up only about thirty minutes before showtime, threw my classical and a Taylor (in case things ran long and I needed a guitar for alternate tunings) into the car and grabbed a sandwich before zipping over to the hall. I still didn't have a set list. Once there, I got the lay of the land: when I was going to play, where I was going to set up, size and makeup of crowd (70-ish, mostly black, all ages), how long I needed to play (ten minutes). I was to follow a guy who sang acappella spirituals. Still no set list...

Frankly, I had expected this to be a really casual affair, with me over in a corner playing background music and being ignored while people stuffed their faces and yakked, but they had a defined stage area with lights and the seating area facing towards it. Everyone quietly listened to the performers. As I waited to begin, I decided to follow the opening piece I'd chosen, an arrangement of an Irish folk, the favorite of my friend who was the subject of the evening and a medley of hymn transcriptions that I'd done with a little Bach tucked in. It went pretty well: I hit a couple of clams from nerves but recovered and moved right on. Frankly, I was amazed at how receptive and appreciative the crowd was. When I got to the Bach, a fellow musician actually broke into a little cheer! That made me feel pretty good.

So, it ended up being a fun experience that I approached so casually that I couldn't help but enjoy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-12-2008, 05:43 PM

Sounds like a cool way to finish off a days work Bob,casual guitar gig with an apreaciating crowd.I'm sure it wont be your last casual gig.
1995 Gibson J 35 Ltd No 7 of 250
1958 Gibson L48
1955 Gibson ES125
Old 07-12-2008, 06:05 PM

Sounds like an interesting day, you da man, Bachster!

For a good cause too, congrats. I play more cause/benefit freebies than paying gigs anymore and it's fun, no bucks no pressure, and giving back is good.

Proud of you....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Cocobologist

Congrats on a fun gig, Bob! I've found it's almost easier to not have a full set planned, as it makes it simple to adjust based on audience mood and reaction to what you've played so far. Sounds like you did just fine...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 07-13-2008, 11:23 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Bob......I dig the way you figured out the flow, got into the flow, and just went with the flow. It underscores the fact that you are a musician --- someone who can adapt musically to a particular set of circumstances. It's organic, man. Thanks for sharing your vignette. Stuff like this is worthwhile reading. Play on, pick often, and prosper......Kabookie
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion