The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-26-2022, 09:43 AM

Default K&k pure preamp

Those using the knk pure preamp with an aer compact 60/4. Have you had to adjust from the factory 12 setting.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:45 AM

Default Knk pure preamp

My post should have said adjust the gain
Old 10-30-2022, 02:08 AM

I’ve never touched the gain trim pot in K&K Pure pre. Sounds magnificent into my Compact 60/4 with my K&K equipped guitars, and at last night’s gig I used my Sunrise equipped D18 through the K&K Pure pre into the AER (out of necessity due to forgetting the power lead for my AD10!) and that sounded great, too. Really dynamic and clear. No gain adjustment for that, either!
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 10-30-2022, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Dave View Post
My post should have said adjust the gain
Hi Dave…
Of course I've occasionally had to adjust output gain on my Preamps. Are you familiar with gain-staging? If so then setting the input gain is part of the process of matching your instrument to the preamp so as to not overdrive it, but still supply adequate gain so you don't increase self-noise.

I own a K&K dual source belt preamp (which has never been on my belt) that is dialed in for my guitars output, and since I did that and matched it to my guitars, I have not had to adjust it again.

I've also adjusted the tone (tone and gain are internal & set with a screwdriver). Guitars are different, and PA systems are too.

When I hit places with 'challenged' PA systems and inexperienced techs on the PA, I'll take time to adjust the tone on the preamp to match their board. The K&K Preamp I have is a backup to my main preamps. I really only carry it on vacations when I'm often asked to play at our kids (in their 40s) church.

The Pure is a nice little preamp, and the gain is external and easily set to match any system.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-30-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Dave…
Of course I've occasionally had to adjust output gain on my Preamps. Are you familiar with gain-staging? If so then setting the input gain is part of the process of matching your instrument to the preamp so as to not overdrive it, but still supply adequate gain so you don't increase self-noise.

I own a K&K dual source belt preamp (which has never been on my belt) that is dialed in for my guitars output, and since I did that and matched it to my guitars, I have not had to adjust it again.

I've also adjusted the tone (tone and gain are internal & set with a screwdriver). Guitars are different, and PA systems are too.

When I hit places with 'challenged' PA systems and inexperienced techs on the PA, I'll take time to adjust the tone on the preamp to match their board. The K&K Preamp I have is a backup to my main preamps. I really only carry it on vacations when I'm often asked to play at our kids (in their 40s) church.

The Pure is a nice little preamp, and the gain is external and easily set to match any system.

I should mention that I presumed CCD was referring to the internal input gain trimpot on the Pure unit. In terms of output, I’ve always thought of that as level rather than gain, with gain being the increase in signal level at the input stage rather than output…I’m not suggesting your terminology is wrong as this stuff tends to be all over the map in sound engineering, just explaining how we ended up at opposite ends of the preamp so to speak!
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification