The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2022, 02:15 PM

Default Buzzing Sound From My Speaker

I've recently started using a Yamaha electric nylon, and I love it. I've had no problems with my speaker when using it.

But, I recently decided to plug in my Taylor 618e as well, and I get a pretty loud buzzing sound immediately. When I touch the jack that goes into the guitar, the buzzing stops. I was told by a friend that there's probably a problem with the ground.

Is he right? How do I fix the problem?
Old 10-14-2022, 02:52 PM

Sorry if this insults your intelligence, but a speaker cable vs. an instrument cable can create the buzzing you're experiencing. Are you using a dedicated instrument cable?
Old 10-14-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfederico View Post
I've recently started using a Yamaha electric nylon, and I love it. I've had no problems with my speaker when using it.

But, I recently decided to plug in my Taylor 618e as well, and I get a pretty loud buzzing sound immediately. When I touch the jack that goes into the guitar, the buzzing stops. I was told by a friend that there's probably a problem with the ground.

If the same cable/amp with the Nylon is fine, then yes, it sounds like your 618e maybe have a ground problem

can you tell us how old is the 618e and if you have any idea what pickup is installed.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-14-2022, 04:49 PM

I have read here on the forum of other Taylor owners who have similar problems with their pickups. As I remember, contacting Taylor resulted in some suggestions on how to remediate the problem.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:13 PM

I'm using the proper cable.

I bought the guitar new in 2017, I believe. I play it a lot, but always without a connection to a speaker.

I live in a small resort town in Mexico. My guitar guy is trying to find an authorized Taylor dealer (with a good technician) in Guadalajara or Mexico city. If he can, I will fly with the guitar to one of those two locations.

If someone on this site can fix this problem, I will fly him/her down for a long weekend. Please contact me privately about that.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

It sounds like a ground problem. This would occur on the older ES1-based systems if the guitar's onboard ground fuse blew for some reason. Your Taylor 618e has an ES2 system that doesn't use a ground fuse. Have you tried a different instrument chord? It's worth a try.

I have a 2015 Taylor 618e ES2 and I don't get the ground-hum problem when plugging into mixers and amps. I do get the hum when the Taylor is plugged into and I'm training my ToneDexter while generating IR WaveMaps. The humming doesn't translate into a generated WaveMap and that is verified when I subsequently use the ToneDexter with that generated WaveMap while plugged into an amp or mixer. I believe that when using my ToneDexter in training mode for generating WaveMaps, I get the hum because I've located my ToneDexter for convenience on my desktop and have removed it from direct grounding with my home's circuits.

There could be a grounding or ground-loop problem with the circuitry in the room or building in which you're playing your Taylor.

Here's a video from an AGF member that demonstrates your problem:
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-19-2022 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I'm using the proper cable.

I bought the guitar new in 2017, I believe. I play it a lot, but always without a connection to a speaker.
That would be an ES2 for sure

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-19-2022, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

If you bought the guitar in 2017 and play it a lot, but never "plugged in", the VERY FIRST THING TO DO IS REPLACE THE BATTERY!!!

Once you do that, if the problem persists, then try a different cord/cable, one that you are CERTAIN is good.

I would also suggest that you goggle how to adjust the small set screws that vary output and tone/response - they are the ones on the bridge itself. A lot of good things can be accomplished by correctly adjusting those little screws...

Good luck! Let us know what happens...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-19-2022, 01:41 PM

Default I'm using wireless to fix it

Same amp, gives me the humming problem at one location where I play fequently if I connect my guitar with a cable.
As soon as I connect the guitar wireless it's all good.

It's called LEKATO WS-80 and works fine for me.

Youtubechannel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-M...Vbk1XI5Cy4NA7g
Old 10-19-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhardp View Post
Same amp, gives me the humming problem at one location where I play fequently if I connect my guitar with a cable.
As soon as I connect the guitar wireless it's all good.

It's called LEKATO WS-80 and works fine for me.
Does this happen with other cables, or just that one? If so, it is probably that your cable allows ambient electronic noise to leak in.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
Does this happen with other cables, or just that one? If so, it is probably that your cable allows ambient electronic noise to leak in.
Haven't tried another one since the problem was solved with the wireless thingies. So I don't know.

Youtubechannel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-M...Vbk1XI5Cy4NA7g
Old 10-28-2022, 08:01 AM

My tech is coming to the house today, so I made the following Taylor "to do" list from this thread:

1) Check battery

2) Try different cable. I'm presently using the following for my Yamaha with no buzz:

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3) Check for same buzz when plugged into my mixer. (I get the same buzz when plugged into the Zoom H6, which is portable, and doesn't depend on the house's power.)

4) Adjust set screws on the bridge

5) If all else fails, order the following wireless system

https://www.amazon.com.mx/LEKATO-ina.../dp/B08HM15DXR

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification